Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Davidjsmith said:

Advert in latest Hornby magazine shows tag with additional Vacuum only 25 216 western region 1970’s added to range!

25217 with the old block serif style numbering would make for a small but interesting twist.....it arrived in the South West in November 1975 IIRC, probably alongside 25215/6.

• Like 1

Can anyone please enlighten me on the following...

The website description states that 25216 will come fitted with the 'original mechanical speedometer'. Does this mean that there will be some physical differences, say equipment on an axle box that would differ from 25324 for example? 

As the best representation for a bog standard blue version, I ordered 3x 25324's when first announced for renumbering to other locos. 25216 would of course be another good candidate had I not already ordered 3 loco's, but from my current understanding, the only differences I can see are....

- Earlier style OHLE panels.

- Position of TOPs numbers / data panel.

- Position of multiple working Blue Stars.

- 0000 headcodes as appose to domnio. 

- Vacuum only as appose to dual brake.

All are things I am prepared to customise myself based on the prototype being modelled. I am aware of things like brackets on the front end and boiler grilles being plated over etc., but do I also need to consider speedo types when choosing a prototype?  I am aware that I am prizing open a can of worms here when it comes to class 25 detail differences!

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

• Agree 1

There were 2 types of speedo fitted to Class 25's.

All the class 24's and 25's up to D7597 (the last of the 25/2's) had the small "original mechanical speedometer", fitted to the outer axle under the drives position at number 1 end.

From D7598 on the control of the locos incorporated electronics to better control, amongst other things, the field diverts, and became 25/3's

Part of this modification was the fitting of an electronic speedo drive (see attached), which was fitted to the inner axle at number 2 end - second mans side.

This makes it easy to identify the difference between the later bodied 25/2 (mechanical) or an 25/3 (electronic) locomotives.

Unless of course you are Heljan and insist on calling a mechanically fitted 25/2 a 25/3!  

Dsc_0824crop.jpg.af35edb999c2dc75a3212817f02e6c72.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

3 hours ago, iwfb said:

There were 2 types of speedo fitted to Class 25's.

All the class 24's and 25's up to D7597 (the last of the 25/2's) had the small "original mechanical speedometer", fitted to the outer axle under the drives position at number 1 end.

From D7598 on the control of the locos incorporated electronics to better control, amongst other things, the field diverts, and became 25/3's

Part of this modification was the fitting of an electronic speedo drive (see attached), which was fitted to the inner axle at number 2 end - second mans side.

This makes it easy to identify the difference between the later bodied 25/2 (mechanical) or an 25/3 (electronic) locomotives.

Unless of course you are Heljan and insist on calling a mechanically fitted 25/2 a 25/3!  

Dsc_0824crop.jpg.af35edb999c2dc75a3212817f02e6c72.jpg

That is most helpful, thank you very much for the explanation! I wonder if the speedo's will be part of the axle box moulding on the bogie, or if they will be separately fitted....?

Are there any other external differences between a 25/2 and a 25/3 that would need to be taken into account if renumbering 25324 into a late bodied 25/2? I was considering 25145 as a prototype.

Regards,

Cameron. 

30 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Are there any other external differences between a 25/2 and a 25/3 that would need to be taken into account if renumbering 25324 into a late bodied 25/2? I was considering 25145 as a prototype

They all seem to be different, mainly with cab front fitting ie headboard brackets and missing lamp irons. The best joke about the 25/3s is the downward pipe fitted to bogies for them as seen in about pic, any guesses lol

9 hours ago, 25901 said:

They all seem to be different, mainly with cab front fitting ie headboard brackets and missing lamp irons. The best joke about the 25/3s is the downward pipe fitted to bogies for them as seen in about pic, any guesses lol

Oh yes, you have to study prototype photos carefully, and what may be a match one year won't be the next after a trip to the works!

In that sense 25145 was a match, as it seems that it retained it's lamp irons and headboard brackets right up until withdrawal in 1986.

Regards,

Cameron

On 05/12/2021 at 10:08, Mophead45143 said:

Can anyone please enlighten me on the following...

The website description states that 25216 will come fitted with the 'original mechanical speedometer'. Does this mean that there will be some physical differences, say equipment on an axle box that would differ from 25324 for example? 

As the best representation for a bog standard blue version, I ordered 3x 25324's when first announced for renumbering to other locos. 25216 would of course be another good candidate had I not already ordered 3 loco's, but from my current understanding, the only differences I can see are....

- Earlier style OHLE panels.

- Position of TOPs numbers / data panel.

- Position of multiple working Blue Stars.

- 0000 headcodes as appose to domnio. 

- Vacuum only as appose to dual brake.

All are things I am prepared to customise myself based on the prototype being modelled. I am aware of things like brackets on the front end and boiler grilles being plated over etc., but do I also need to consider speedo types when choosing a prototype?  I am aware that I am prizing open a can of worms here when it comes to class 25 detail differences!

Thanks in advance,

Cameron

Email them to ask for one of the three 25324's to be changed to 25216  .. I did it to change one to the Springs Branch one .. wasn't a problem but did take a week or two to get back to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulofwigan said:

Email them to ask for one of the three 25324's to be changed to 25216  .. I did it to change one to the Springs Branch one .. wasn't a problem but did take a week or two to get back to me.

I did just that, then opened RMweb and saw your suggestion! Am I right in thinking 25324 sold out on pre order, or was it just the most popular seller, prompting further blue versions? 

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143

It’s not clear to me from the website if payment is taken when preordering or when despatched, the Western region one for me. Also are these only available direct from Sutton’s Locotive Works or are they distributed out to shops.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, bubbles2 said:

It’s not clear to me from the website if payment is taken when preordering or when despatched, the Western region one for me. Also are these only available direct from Sutton’s Locotive Works or are they distributed out to shops.

Only available via suttons and payment on dispatch (unless that has changed recently but I have not been charged for mine).

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Markwj said:

Only available via suttons and payment on dispatch (unless that has changed recently but I have not been charged for mine).

Phil Sutton is very much against making people pay before items are ready to ship.

Roy

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/12/2021 at 12:43, Roy Langridge said:

Phil Sutton is very much against making people pay before items are ready to ship.

Roy

When I last spoke to Phil, he is also flexible with payment in instalments, shipping when all paid.

On 05/12/2021 at 22:18, 25901 said:

Could the pipe be a drain of some kind? For example, the drain from the water trap on the air system?

1 hour ago, PieGuyRob said:

Could the pipe be a drain of some kind? For example, the drain from the water trap on the air system?

Have been told by many that it’s the steam heat boiler blow down pipe that the25/3 had put on there bogies, only BR  could write that spec lol

11 hours ago, 25901 said:

Have been told by many that it’s the steam heat boiler blow down pipe that the25/3 had put on there bogies, only BR  could write that spec lol

did any of the Class 25/3s have boilers? I dont remember seeing many with the revised bodywork and boiler water tanks

Edited by GordonC

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Pictures not coming over?

FESTIVE FELICITATIONS
FROM SLW

SUTTON'S LOCOMOTIVE WORKSHOP would like to send our best Christmas wishes to all our friends and associates. It continues to be a difficult time for all but, at the very least, we have our wonderful creative hobby of model railways to rely on. Thank you for your valued custom during this past year, especially the numerous reservations for forthcoming locomotives. Despite the current supply problems, we are looking forward to what we confidently expect will be an exciting new year. 

Class 25s No. 25172 & 25285, sandwiched between two independent snowploughs, are engaged in snow-clearing duties over the Settle & Carlisle during February 16th, 1979. Seen here crossing over at Blea Moor, the formation had worked wrong line from Kirkby Stephen to get past a Carlisle–Willesden freight which had been abandoned at Ais Gill Summit after becoming buried under snow. Britain most remote signal cabin must have provided a welcome refuge and supply of hot tea for the crew during a break between runs!  Photo: Stephen McGahon

Further BR Blue Class 25 added

With our BR blue Class 25s being snapped-up at an incredible rate (it is highly likely several versions will be sold out before delivery), we are pleased to add another running number to the range. Providing a number of fresh detail differences, No. 25216 represents a vacuum-braked Western Region machine from the mid-1970s. The Sulzer Type 2s took over from the smaller NBL diesel hydraulics, performing a vital mixed traffic role in the deep South West encompassing freight, parcels and local passenger workings.

From Winter Wonderland to Summer Scorcher! Back on June 18th, 1976, Laira-allocated Class 25/2 No. 25216 departs from Dawlish Warren with an additional summer-dated 14.10 Exeter–Paignton service (2Z44). This local passenger working could easily be reproduced in model form, employing four Mk. 1 carriages the last of which is the brake vehicle. The scene looks arid: Devon saw 45 days without rain and 15 consecutive days with temperatures above 32 degrees centigrade that summer. Photo: Martin Stoolman

This Plymouth Laira-based loco is a Class 25/2 with the original mechanical speedometer. It carries a bodyside number position indicating its last major overhaul was at Glasgow St Rollox and is offered with headcodes set to ‘0000’, after loco-based train reporting ended in 1976. No. 25216 was later reallocated to Crewe at the end of the decade.

The new model is now available to reserve on the RAIL EXCLUSIVE website here. Alternatively, you can call us on 01780 470086 (see opening hours below). We are also well aware that some customer may want to swap between models or change their pre-orders in the light of this new information, so feel free to advise us by telephone. 

Latest delivery update

Unfortunately, there is not a lot new to say since our previous update. Our manufacturing facility is still running with less than full capacity in China. We are also experiencing issues sourcing the microchips used in the DCC decoders. It’s a bit of a ‘perfect storm’ so, at this stage, we are not being drawn on any revised dates except that delivery will now be well into next year. Because of the complexity involved in the Class 24/1, these will follow the Class 25s.

With the global pre-Christmas panic, sky-high transport charges and no spare container capacity, logistics for smaller concerns are practically at a standstill. We have therefore taken the decision to give our team – some who have not seen their families for nearly a year – an extended break taking in both Christmas and the Chinese New Year in the hope things will have improved on their return.

Global delays in production. We saw this in the national press and thought the story, with infographics, illustrates the current situation very well (Click on image for link). Source: The Guardian

All of our projects are caught up in this and the only consolation (if you can call it that) is that everyone is in the ‘same boat’ and you will find such issues are widespread across the industry. We accept these are things we cannot change so, despite being disappointed, we are not unduly stressed. Hiccups like these are one of the reasons we don’t take any money up front so nobody is out of pocket or taking our financial risk. 

I hope you understand and we appreciate your patience in this matter – the models will be worth the wait… Feel free to ring at any time and we will do our best to help or answer any other questions you have. The good news is that SLW will never compromise on quality and, due to incredible pent-up demand, we will be making even more ‘skinhead’ Class 24s in 2022 as well. 

Christmas office hours

The SLW/RAIL EXCLUSIVE office will be closed from end of business on 23rd December through to 4th January. The telephone will, however, be manned throughout the holiday period but only on an ad hoc basis. If you don’t get through first time, please persevere as we may be travelling and unable to take the call immediately. E-mails and orders will be monitored but may not be acknowledged until our return. Look out for a further newsletter early in the New Year.

Wishing you a Happy Christmas and a Safe New Year.

Philip, Jamie & Jennie

Find us on Facebook

Visit our website

why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 
Sutton's Locomotive Workshop · 20 Park Street · King's Cliffe · Peterborough, East Northamptonshire PE8 6XN · United Kingdom

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 09:21, GordonC said:

did any of the Class 25/3s have boilers? I dont remember seeing many with the revised bodywork and boiler water tanks

No 25/3 but a small batch of 25/2 with the later body shell and boiler … D5233 - D5237 (25083-25087) 

The whole class24/25 variations has taken on a rather different meaning to what BR referred to. The external body style had little to do with 25/xyz designations , it was the electrical equipment used, Indeed pre TOPS these designations did not exist. The original Sulzer published drivers manuals consisted of one for D5000 to D5175 with a second manual for D5176 onwards, so what became the 25/0 were basically a refined  freight only class 24. From memory some electrical components were AEI whilst Crompton Parkinson supplied the rest. 

• Like 1