Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

I've now checked both the official Sulzer manuals and the Ian Allan's from the period, the Sulzer manual makes no reference to the supplier of various electrical components. As they are "Drivers Manuals" this is really irrelevant, it's all about equipment location and fault finding. So from my 1971 and 1974 Ian Allan combined volumes I've got the following(my Crompton Parkinson referernce above is wrong).

D5000 to 5150 BTH traction motors, class 24/0 24001>049, class 24/1 24050 onwards. electrical, boiler and fuel tank differences.

25/0 BHP increase, no boiler everything else a carry over from above.

From the '74 Ian Allan

25/1 25026 to 082 AEI/GEC series one electrical equipment(it doesn't say what)

25/2 25083 to 25245 GEC series two equipment

25/3 25245 upwards GEC series three equipment.

8 hours ago, w124bob said:

I've now checked both the official Sulzer manuals and the Ian Allan's from the period, the Sulzer manual makes no reference to the supplier of various electrical components. As they are "Drivers Manuals" this is really irrelevant, it's all about equipment location and fault finding. So from my 1971 and 1974 Ian Allan combined volumes I've got the following(my Crompton Parkinson referernce above is wrong).

D5000 to 5150 BTH traction motors, class 24/0 24001>049, class 24/1 24050 onwards. electrical, boiler and fuel tank differences.

25/0 BHP increase, no boiler everything else a carry over from above.

From the '74 Ian Allan

25/1 25026 to 082 AEI/GEC series one electrical equipment(it doesn't say what)

25/2 25083 to 25245 GEC series two equipment

25/3 25245 upwards GEC series three equipment.

That makes sense as D7568-97 were built out of sequence at Darlington following on from their D52xx builds, with the earlier body style and plain green livery - presumably the series 3 GEC equipment started at D7598. The TOPS numbering must have missed out early accident casualties like D5278. 

Series 2 starting at D5233 (25 083) coincides with the start of the new Design Panel cleaned up body style from Derby and two tone paint scheme. 

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Davidjsmith said:

They will be following the 25/3 25/2 & 24/1 models I guess which are all delayed !They were teased  as your photo but we have no idea where they are in the process!!I to will buy quite a few!!

I'm sure Phil will be getting large portions of my wages for years to come depending on which variants are produced , I currently own 7 of the 24's , have 3 24/1's on pre-order (may order more seen as they are delayed , gives me more chance to save) and also have 25324 on order , one I hope gets produced sooner rather than later is the early 25/0 

3 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

I wonder if the version with hinged bodyside grilles is being produced as I would have several!

They need to as all dual braked class 25s with the earlier bodyshell had the air filter hinges on one side, in addition to the extra triangular panel. The hinged grilles were so converted so that fitters could change the filter packs from outside the loco on that side - maybe B side.  I believe the triangular panel was so that the triple pump could be got out of the loco easier, than manouvering it out through the bulkheads into the cab then out through the cab door.   

This image demonstrates the second triangular panel quite well 

25_244_at_Tenterden_Town.jpg (640×480) (wikimedia.org)

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Covkid said:

They need to as all dual braked class 25s with the earlier bodyshell had the air filter hinges on one side, in addition to the extra triangular panel. The hinged grilles were so converted so that fitters could change the filter packs from outside the loco on that side - maybe B side.  I believe the triangular panel was so that the triple pump could be got out of the loco easier, than manouvering it out through the bulkheads into the cab then out through the cab door.   

This image demonstrates the second triangular panel quite well 

25_244_at_Tenterden_Town.jpg (640×480) (wikimedia.org)

Strangely I'd not noticed that extra triangular panel before!

2 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Strangely I'd not noticed that extra triangular panel before!

The panel sIts flush with the bodyside so is not so normally apparent, just like the "other" triangular panel on all 25s. On the later design bodyshell moulding Bachmann initially produced this as a raised panel, so Bachmann must have revised their moulds at some point.   

• Like 1

On 13/01/2022 at 10:40, Covkid said:

Bachmann must have revised their moulds at some point.   

On the early 25's Bachmann produced both a prominently raised central triangular panel and  flat with furrowed representation of the panel outline.

The current (2019) Bachmann 24/1 still has the raised panel but it's nowhere near as conspicuous as on the early versions.

330494644_Bmann-2020-24-012-EditSm.jpg.1546f56549ca1a13004d393291cb8b98.jpg

SLW top, 2019 Bachmann at middle and early Bachmann bottom.

Edited by Porcy Mane
Add Phot
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

I wonder if the version with hinged bodyside grilles is being produced as I would have several!

Have I missed something vital here? I can’t find any mention of these earlier class 25s on SLW/RailExclusive site. Was this a leaked teaser? Of everything released and announced  by SLW these are the ones I’m really waiting for. Really hoping these will happen.

16 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Have I missed something vital here? I can’t find any mention of these earlier class 25s on SLW/RailExclusive site. Was this a leaked teaser? Of everything released and announced  by SLW these are the ones I’m really waiting for. Really hoping these will happen.

See post about half way down page 16 by @stovepipe , was teased back in March 2021

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

On the early 25's Bachmann produced both a prominently raised central triangular panel and  flat with furrowed representation of the panel outline.

The current (2019) Bachmann 24/1 still has the raised panel but it's nowhere near as conspicuous as on the early versions.

2142394383_Bmann-2020-24-012-EditSm.jpg.36813d0b5564cf2232dfa115e3098149.jpg

SLW top, 2019 Bachmann at middle and early Bachmann bottom.

It still bugs me on the new 24/1 though :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I must admit that it will be good to hear an update on the 25 and 24. I still have 6 on order and will be waiting with baited breath. Cant be long now before we hear something.......hopefully.

Im reminded of the old saying that 'everything comes to those that wait' !!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Just wow, transported back to the 1970s

To see GSYP and TOPS blue side-by-side, late 1973 to be precise! (Ignoring the 'domino' headcode.)

The running numbers would have been different too. I saw 7599 in spotless blue at Crewe Works on 3/11/69, at that time Crewe was still turning out Class 25s with four cabside arrow logos and bodyside numbers and having no clear memory of it I've always assumed 7599 was like this but never seen a photo to confirm......