Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Yes, but there were two designs of red/white warning flash - the 1961 original (upward-pointing arrow head with single electrical flash below) and the c1978 update (two electrical flashes sans arrow head). SLW used the correct older design on their Class 24 (I just checked!) 

Yes your right, 

if you look at the artwork in the brochure, and the sample, the artwork shows the older “up” arrow with higher warning..but the sample shows the later central “warning”.

The sample doesnt match the artwork.

8 hours ago, Chilly said:

Will you be able to replace head codes with domino's for these,  if so can these be obtained or are they supplied? 

The only loco's in that lot that would have domino's appear to already have them. My question was going to be, would it be easy to backdate one with domino's (i.e. 25324) to a more 1970's appearance with roller blinds? 

P.S. Very excited about this SLW - take my money...

Cameron

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, milepost46 said:

They look very impressive, but I model the Scottish Highlands and apart from Ayr/Motherwell areas they were not that common, so in some ways I'm a bit disappointed that it's not a 25/0 or early 25/2. It's going to be hard to justify this time.

I have wondered if a 25/0 will follow the headcode box 24s. would be up for a few 25/0s.

Roy

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Three ordered: 25322, 25324 and 97252 - same price as the 24s, so £325 with sound and super-cap.

Was going to be two ordered but the wife had me order ETHEL 3 to be a present :biggrin_mini2:

What a difference SLW makes. Been "umming" and "aahing" over the Heljan model and nearly did order yesterday. SLW announce theirs and its nearly a grand spent with within a few hours.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

41 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Three ordered: 25322, 25324 and 97252 - same price as the 24s, so £325 with sound and super-cap.

Was going to be two ordered but the wife had me order ETHEL 3 to be a present :biggrin_mini2:

What a difference SLW makes. Been "umming" and "aahing" over the Heljan model and nearly did order yesterday. SLW announce theirs and its nearly a grand spent with within a few hours.

Roy

Did you have to ring Phil to order as I can't seem to find them online currently?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

I'm really surprised the early 25/0 wasn't the first 25 Suttons produced to be honest

Possibly they are out of phase because another manufacturer is about to deliver their new model . Probably felt had to announce the 25/3 now  whereas there may be more time available to announce 25/0. I've lost the plot here has Bachmann announced one ?

• Agree 1

At last! Well, like quite a few other people it seems, I'm now reassessing my Class 25 plans too...

My two SLW 24s are among my favourite locos, although the more mainstream nature of the 25 for my era (the 80s) is likely to see me buy a few more of these.

Looking forward to further developments.

Dave

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Legend said:

Possibly they are out of phase because another manufacturer is about to deliver their new model . Probably felt had to announce the 25/3 now  whereas there may be more time available to announce 25/0. I've lost the plot here has Bachmann announced one ?

No one has done an early series 25/0 yet (25001-25025) , they were basically a Headcode box Class 24/1 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, sulzer71 said:

No one has done an early series 25/0 yet (25001-25025) , they were basically a Headcode box Class 24/1 

Thanks for that . Just highlighting my ignorance here then . Whats the original Hornby model 25247 is that a 25/1?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, w124bob said:

I've payed up front for 5 from the opposition, so I'm a bit miffed.  Still you can never have to many!

INFORMATION: Anyone that has pre-ordered the competitor's model does have the right to cancel without penalty under consumer rights.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

The new website goes live on 01 March. If you want to order one now, you need to ring :)

I've dropped Phil a message as I wanted to know if any were suitable for conversion to a 70's Scottish machine , if anyone knows it will be him

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

INFORMATION: Anyone that has pre-ordered the competitor's model does have the right to cancel without penalty under consumer rights.

Not if ordered in shop necessarily, only if ordered online under the distance selling regulations do you have an automatic right to cancel.

If ordered in shop you may get a refund, but it is not 100% certain, especially if it is an item that is on a long slow sell where demand is less than supply and the shop can demonstrate that it has not resold the cancelled order.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I've dropped Phil a message as I wanted to know if any were suitable for conversion to a 70's Scottish machine , if anyone knows it will be him

Some early D76XX (13?) locomotives were delivered to 65A new with tablet catcher recesses and a few made TOPS as 25/2's in that condition, but whether the minutiae of detail on the models suits I wouldn't be sure.

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Two blue ones with TOPS numbering now ordered.

Speaking with Phil, just moments ago, he indicated that sales are "very high" at the moment with the phone going non-stop.

These models really are exquisite.

I just can't wait to get mine.

Kev.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Opelsi said:

My only regret is nobody has done a Class 25/0 yet as I would absolutely  love one of these RTR though won't hack a model as I know I always make a mess!

This. Having just bought an SLW 24/0, my concern is the long promised 24/1 (which I and many others have been patiently waiting for - and hope of a 25/0, neither of which have ever been done) will get pushed back again with the race to get the new 25 out, in a market soon to be awash with 25/2s? 

I totally get the quality arguments, there is no doubt the SLW loco will be the best.

But I'm a bit disappointed at this announcement given the slow progress of the 24/1 by comparison. 

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

This. Having just bought an SLW 24/0, my concern is the long promised 24/1 (which I and many others have been patiently waiting for - and hope of a 25/0, neither of which have ever been done) will get pushed back again with the race to get the new 25 out, in a market soon to be awash with 25/2s? 

I totally get the quality arguments, there is no doubt the SLW loco will be the best.

But I'm a bit disappointed at this announcement given the slow progress of the 24/1 by comparison. 

Whilst I was on to Phil, I asked about this and he said, (words to the effect of), "they are coming" but I wasn't paying much attention because of the detail differences he was pointing out between my two ordered locos.

I could speak with Phil all day!

(Sorry if you were waiting to get through.)

Kev. 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

36 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not if ordered in shop necessarily, only if ordered online under the distance selling regulations do you have an automatic right to cancel.

If ordered in shop you may get a refund, but it is not 100% certain, especially if it is an item that is on a long slow sell where demand is less than supply and the shop can demonstrate that it has not resold the cancelled order.

Roy

Roy is correct; I was thinking that with all the restrictions, most will have been ordered online. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Signaller69 said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed without knowing the fact. You don't know what the delay was and the 25 may have no impact on the headcode 24 (not a 24/1 BTW). If the delay was for manufacturing slots but all the design and tooling work was done, Phil may have used otherwise "dead" time to crack on with the 25. It must be remembered this is his income, and he will not have unnecessarily delayed a project.

Whilst I am looking forward to my 24117, my bank balance may not as I assume Phil will then churn out a few other Scottish 24s, and that will be expensive.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Your not dialling it quite right... go back to the 70’s.. exchange, pause, number..

25 324

:rolleyes:

And press button A! 

This release is great news....

• Agree 1