Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Some early D76XX (13?) locomotives were delivered to 65A new with tablet catcher recesses and a few made TOPS as 25/2's in that condition, but whether the minutiae of detail on the models suits I wouldn't be sure.

Mike.

Yep, D7611-23 (25261-73). No evidence that any were ever fitted with the equipment, in fact it wasn't long before they migrated south (to annoy spotters and LMR train crews.....!)

D7623 was set to be Derby's final Class 25 until Beyer Peacock threw in the towel at D7659.

I couldn't be 100% certain either but on the face of it D7599 should be suitable for conversion to one of these if one could face attacking such a fine model with drills and files........:O!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anybody know when the last 25/2 or 25/3 was operational with a headcode panel rather than displaying dominos?

So far I have found 25120 with headcodes still in June 1981, but a fairly new looking set of dominos in June 1982, but by no means do I claim that as the latest.

Thanks,

Roy

26 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

Yep, D7611-23 (25261-73). No evidence that any were ever fitted with the equipment, in fact it wasn't long before they migrated south (to annoy spotters and LMR train crews.....!)

D7623 was set to be Derby's final Class 25 until Beyer Peacock threw in the towel at D7659.

I couldn't be 100% certain either but on the face of it D7599 should be suitable for conversion to one of these if one could face attacking such a fine model with drills and files........:O!!

I would rather wait for them to release a Scottish one as I wouldn't fancy attacking one of these although I do have one of their 24's which is undergoing surgery but that had been mistreated by the previous owner and needed quite a few repairs anyway

19 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does anybody know when the last 25/2 or 25/3 was operational with a headcode panel rather than displaying dominos?

So far I have found 25120 with headcodes still in June 1981, but a fairly new looking set of dominos in June 1982, but by no means do I claim that as the latest.

Thanks,

Roy

Hi Roy,

I started spotting in July 1981 and definitely have a photo of a Class 25 at Crewe after October 1983.

Possibly some time in 1984 or 1985 and possibly 25278.

Photos are buried but will let you know when I dig them out!

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

And press button A! 

This release is great news....

Surely you mean press button B(uy)?

Don't know why I'm excited - I don't need any 24s or 25s. I think it's because I like to see models of this quality being produced.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Opelsi said:

Hi Roy,

I started spotting in July 1981 and definitely have a photo of a Class 25 at Crewe after October 1983.

Possibly some time in 1984 or 1985 and possibly 25278.

Photos are buried but will let you know when I dig them out!

Simon

Just tracking down the last ones - up to Spring 1983*, the last one was amongst these

and one end only

also a couple of early bodyshell - both ends

* from the RE Mag published lists.

A photo check implies that the last two 25257 and 25278, were actually domino by late 1982, if not earlier.

Edited by stovepipe
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I was disappointed with the Class 24 after all the hype, think I'll hang on to my money until it's possible to compare the offerings

Really? I think it is a cracking model, so much so I have six. Yes, the early grill was not as good as it could be, but other than that the attention to detail is fantastic.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, WhiteRoseRambler said:

Excellent news. I wonder if we can please have a separate tab in the Products and Trade area now for SLW? :)

Long over due in my opinion. Given we still have the likes of DJ Models and Little Loco Company (who only delivered one model IIRC) there, it seems somewhat inconsistent that SLW are not.

Roy

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Long over due in my opinion. Given we still have the likes of DJ Models and Little Loco Company (who only delivered one model IIRC) there, it seems somewhat inconsistent that SLW are not.

Roy

Maybe they didn't feel the need as they were making sales regardless of whether they had a special place in the forum or not.

But now they have a couple of models perhaps they should.

Still thinks that GF N class 24s and 25s are fine (just)......

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Just tracking down the last ones - up to Spring 1983*, the last one was amongst these

and one end only

also a couple of early bodyshell - both ends

* from the RE Mag published lists.

A photo check implies that the last two 25257 and 25278, were actually domino by late 1982, if not earlier.

I now think 25260 was the last, carried until withdrawal in Dec 1982.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Maybe they didn't feel the need as they were making sales regardless of whether they had a special place in the forum or not.

I don’t think it is down to them, indeed Phil is not a big user of social media and doesn’t frequent here. 

I believe the selection of who is and is not on the main pages is solely down to the admins here. 

Roy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I had a conversation some five years ago at the York show with Phil Sutton when he expressed a wish for SLW to be included on the list so it’s not for the want of trying I’m sorry to say. I believe I did post at the time but can’t remember for certain.  Yes it’s inconceivable that with a proven pedigree in manufacturing and delivering that other small outfits are given their place without yet delivering a single model whereas he’s still out in the cold knocking on the door on this forum. 

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I don’t think it is down to them, indeed Phil is not a big user of social media and doesn’t frequent here. 

I believe the selection of who is and is not on the main pages is solely down to the admins here. 

Roy

Roy.Please read my post above this

• Like 1

I paid up front( not all at once) for 5 from the opposition, so a pretty big commitment. I did this for two reasons, firstly once paid for I don't have to think about how I can finance the purchase when they arrive on the shelve's. The second is as a sign of good faith to the trader, particularly as that business has been consistently praised for good service and competitive prices. So I have no intention of cancelling my order, particularly in these strange times, £700 plus is a big ask to refund even for one of the top 5 retailers. SLW won't loose out as they have, hopefully other cl 24's coming soon, green FYE, hint hint, plus the planned release of pre TOPS cl 25's. Who knows they might even pip Barwell to the 25/1 boiler body side grill version, that really would be the icing rat cake!

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Really need to get myself an SLW Class 24 and Class 25 now.

ATM the best choice rtr diesels  in OO  by a country mile.This is the one new release that I will unhesitatingly order and refreshing news in what has been a month of disappointing mediocrity and admiration for the Emperor’s new clothes IMHO.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

As soon as I saw the SLW images in yesterday's email, I thought now THAT is a class 25. My order will be placed no doubt, but I'm in no rush. 

I'm the proud owner of 2 SLW 24s, I hope a few 25s too in the forthcoming years, they're wonderful models. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I must admit that I was hesitating buying more 24s until news of the 25s availability, or otherwise, was out there.

I just didn't want to run the superb 24s with other rats, preferring that they all came from the same mould, (so to squeak)!

I already have two SLW 24s, with another on order, and I have just ordered two 25s.

Now I can happily order more 24s and 25s as the right ones come along.

Kev.

• Like 1

25322 and 324 ordered, and they wont be the last ones coming my way.

I thought the Heljan one was ok and planned to buy three next week.  Luckily for me, (but not for Heljan )  this announcement came just in time.  Ive 3 class 24s already and theyre the best locos in my fleet, im sure the 25s will be at least as good.

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, steveb860 said:

Is it only me who feels sorry for all the retailers who are having Heljan Cl25  pre orders cancelled on the back of this announcement ? Timing couldn't have been worse considering they are imminent.

A little yes, though I suspect a good number of people were waiting to see what the Heljan one was like first before ordering. There certainly is/was some cause for waiting to my eyes.  And at £30+ cheaper I'm sure the Heljan ones will still satisfy many folk, and those who want a rat NOW.

The SLW timing is of a course a deliberate consequence of the Heljan ones arriving - to avoid the 'if only I'd known' conversations..., but it does involve a wait to midsummer or thereabouts for delivery.

• Agree 1