The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Covid - coming out of Lockdown 3 - no politics, less opinion and more facts and information.

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Do you have a link to such maps for France?

https://mapthenews.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/5df19abcf8714bc590a3b143e14a548c

Most of it is self-explanatory. Reanimation is Intensive Care. Clicking on a Departement gets you a summary of tests and positives. Below the map hospitalisations can be accessed by Departement, but are current bed occupations, not admissions. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Reorte said:

A lot of people seem to be rather keen to say "oh, it's all a drop in testing", but the drop isn't that large - and not much different from the rise in testing when cases were going up and they weren't saying that was all just due to a rise in testing (because it almost certainly wasn't).

But that is exactly what people were saying.  You test more and you will find more.

From the numbers I quoted 2 nights ago, infections dropped 21% but testing dropped 10%, so it is quite possible that "real" infections have only dropped around 11%.  If the short sharp peak was  a football effect, underlying infections may still be on the up.  That of course is just one scenario but it emphasises why the scientists are still saying we should remain cautious.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

But that is exactly what people were saying.  You test more and you will find more.

From the numbers I quoted 2 nights ago, infections dropped 21% but testing dropped 10%, so it is quite possible that "real" infections have only dropped around 11%.  If the short sharp peak was  a football effect, underlying infections may still be on the up.  That of course is just one scenario but it emphasises why the scientists are still saying we should remain cautious.

It's possible that both the ups and the downs are purely an artefact of changing testing but is it really that likely?

A football-related big peak on top of an underlying rise remains a possibility, albeit one that should've worked through the system by now. If we can draw parallels between England and Scotland it suggest that the effect is probably real, although of course the English and Scottish situations aren't 100% comparable (more restrictions still in place in Scotland).

Whilst caution is sensible there's a lot of pushing going on that no, it can't be real good news, the situation must be getting worse so we need to find additional data and explanations to support that. That's going beyond caution.

• RMweb Gold

While still very high in Gateshead and the surrounding area, the rate has fallen from 942 last Friday to 621 today (seven day average; rate per 100,000 population). Now if it could only get back to the late-May level (7/100,000)…

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

This week's Zoe update is really very interesting and shows the value of having some independent data, information and studies.

The daily case data is questioned and possible reasons offered (which make sense to me), why we may have more accurate information than key neighbours and also some balance to the lifestyle issues raised by government.

If you don't use the Zoe app there's probably no better time to start using it so that there's clearer information on trends from this independent source.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I don't have time to watch a 20 minute video right now, but looking at the ZOE website the graph there looks like it's about to peak. Since it's an estimate of the number of people with symptoms, which last several days, rather than just new cases, which appear once, its peak should lag behind the new cases peak; just on the graphs alone I don't see any sign of significant inconsistency.

I requested on line my NHS Covid Vaccination certificate on line on Sunday, just arrived today.

Hope I never need to show it - but I have it just in case (wife also). Handy if you haven't got a smartphone / NHS app.

Simple to order, just need your NHS No, Date of Birth and your home postcode (that is registered with your GP)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

Brit15

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, APOLLO said:

I requested on line my NHS Covid Vaccination certificate on line on Sunday, just arrived today.

Hope I never need to show it - but I have it just in case (wife also). Handy if you haven't got a smartphone / NHS app.

Simple to order, just need your NHS No, Date of Birth and your home postcode (that is registered with your GP)

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

Won't the card they give you be sufficient?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Reorte said:

Won't the card they give you be sufficient?

The card is just an appointment card, the letter is more official with a lot more info, vaccine type, batch nos, dates, vaccination centre etc. Also if you fly etc the card is not accepted.

My thoughts are with the future an unknown it's best to have the certificate when double jabbed, just in case. My old smartphone ain't smart enough for the NHS App.

Brit15

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've mentioned in the past that I get fairly regular YouGov surveys to complete. Today's was solely centred around Covid and my confidence in both the vaccine and its effectiveness. Also do I intend to take up a booster and flu vaccine if offered, would I have both at the same time, where do I get my information from and a bit about where I sit in wider society. My reading is that boosters are on the cards this autumn, possibly with a flu jab at the same time.

• Informative/Useful 4

22 minutes ago, Neil said:

My reading is that boosters are on the cards this autumn, possibly with a flu jab at the same time.

That's what the nurses that are practicing their trade [until they get it right, i suppose?]...at my GP surgery say [A GP whom I have still not met! That's now 3 GPs I haven't met since my old GP retired!   I spoke to one, briefly on the dog n bone! She promptly left !!]

I have an unreasoned distrust of having multiple jabs at the same time. So I might either,just have the covid?  Or take the flu jab at a later date?

I remember Gulf War Syndrome...blamed, reasonably or otherwise, on the combination of jabs dished out to military personnel at the time.

I also discovered my son was autistic, pretty soon after he had endured the MMR combined jab. [We noticed a distinct change in his behaviour afterwards..a bit like my old dog suddenly developed a dislike for vets.....because they always shoved stuff where the sun don't shine....He followed that one on by a distrust of anyone wearing plastic gloves.....My son, at at 23, has a dislike of too-many people still. Not sure if he has any fears of plastic gloves, however...?}

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sherry's practice pharmacist (he's French as it happens, 'Docteur en Pharmacie') told her the other day that combined jabs in the Autumn are what is being worked upon, with the venue that has been doing Covid jabs, the Riviera Centre in Torquay, being used again.

Interesting figure analysis in France shows that this wave of Delta infections is producing rather lower levels of hospital admission than previous waves with the same level of positive tests. And the average age of those admitted is significantly lower, too. Very few double-jabbed people are needing hospital treatment and even fewer are ending up in ICUs. 

The jabs work. Thankyou science. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, alastairq said:

... I also discovered my son was autistic, pretty soon after he had endured the MMR combined jab. ....

I used to work in social care, a number of those I cared for were autistic. An odd parent would say that their child appeared fine until after the MMR jab. Autism is usually reliably diagnosed at three upwards, though sometimes it's possible at two. Parents may notice differences before this but there isn't a causal link between MMR and autism it's just that the MMR is given at around the same time as autism presents itself. I've experienced this with my own grandson who is autistic, differences in his behaviour started to appear about a year before a formal diagnosis.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, APOLLO said:

The card is just an appointment card, the letter is more official with a lot more info, vaccine type, batch nos, dates, vaccination centre etc. Also if you fly etc the card is not accepted.

My thoughts are with the future an unknown it's best to have the certificate when double jabbed, just in case. My old smartphone ain't smart enough for the NHS App.

Brit15

My card has the vaccine type, batch numbers and dates. Have they changed?

20210729_190003.jpg.a030ee3d74fa3666f646f9b5708cf9da.jpg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Since the name on that piece of cardboard is blank it shows only that someone has been vaccinated.

The certificates (at least the EU one) has a great deal of information embedded in the QR code which can be cross checked against the holder.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Brit15

Ordered mine a few weeks ago it came a few days later much to the annoyance of Mrs BB….”why didn’t you order mine at the same time” was the question….TBH I ordered it just out of interest rather than actually thinking I’ll need it.

As you say it goes into a lot more detail.

• Like 2

How is this different from ordering a pass on-line and getting sent a QR code? Is it effectively the same thing?

Aside from which ……. Tourist hotspots: we’ve been camping in the Cotswolds over the past few days, and went to Bourton on the Water, which I’m given to believe is usually heaving at the weekends. Well it’s heaving in the week too! Despite most people making at least some effort, it was so busy that it was pretty well impossible to maintain distance on the streets. It’s not the sort of experience I would count as ‘pleasure’ normally, let alone now. So, I’d advise steering well clear of the most popular places.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

How is this different from ordering a pass on-line and getting sent a QR code? Is it effectively the same thing?

We have an events venue nearby with notoriously bad mobile coverage. A piece of paper there would be very sensible.

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Aside from which ……. Tourist hotspots: we’ve been camping in the Cotswolds over the past few days, and went to Bourton on the Water, which I’m given to believe is usually heaving at the weekends. Well it’s heaving in the week too! Despite most people making at least some effort, it was so busy that it was pretty well impossible to maintain distance on the streets. It’s not the sort of experience I would count as ‘pleasure’ normally, let alone now. So, I’d advise steering well clear of the most popular places.

Strange isn't it, we visited York a couple of weeks back and it was very pleasent, plenty of room, even in the Shambles. Mind you York is a bit bigger than Bourton!