Removing Hornby plastic handrails

Hi....

looking for help on the removal of Hornby plastic handrails from a shark (or similar) for a complete re-spray. I don’t have the model to hand, I’m weighing up on weather to purchase, which may depend on the ability to remove the handrails.

Any advice greatly appreciated:-)

Thanks,

Richard

Hi...

I've had satisfactory results removing plastic handrails from a coach and some loco bodies using a chisel bladed craft knife rather than the usual shaped blade (triangular, pointed) - it lets you carefully pare away a handrail if you keep the blade running flat to the surface (rather than digging in at an angle).

I don't know whether that helps or not? Other - more experienced - RMWebbers will, I am sure, also pass on their collective wisdom (so I will follow your thread to pick up those tips myself!)

Best of luck

Steve S

Sods Law says that if you try to remove plastic handrails for later reuse, at least some will break.  Do you know for a fact that they are plastic?  If metal the job gets easier.

To remove, I would try a chisel Xacto blade to prise them off.  Depending on the strength of the glue they may pop out.

It might be easier in the long run to leave them be and repaint the van with them on.  After paint, go back and paint the handrails.

In 4mm, handrails are typically 0.3 mm.  However, in some cases I think, brake van handrails are thicker or 0.5mm.

John