NOW FOUND: Layout plan search - Railway Modeller c1999 (actually 1994)

9C85

It's a long shot, but I am searching for a layout plan which was a 'Layout of the month' in Railway Modeller some time in the late 1990s, possibly early noughties. 

It was a large OO layout, and was a modern image medium size marshalling yard with the main scenic section running diagonally across the layout and inclines leading up from and down to the storage sidings which I think were on the 'opposite ' diagonal, making a figure 8 layout. IIRC It had something like 3 reception sidings leading to a five road yard, and possibly on to three departure roads. It may even have a hump yard, but not sure.

Thanks in advance for any help given. 

Edited by 9C85

12 hours ago, definate maybe said:

Could it be RM jan 1994. The description seems very similar. I can’t link it currently but there is a copy available on eBay current which also shows the contents page of the issue.

HTH

regards.

mark.

Thanks a lot.  I will take a look. 

PS nice username 

I have that in my car CD player right now 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, definate maybe said:

Could it be RM jan 1994. The description seems very similar. I can’t link it currently but there is a copy available on eBay current which also shows the contents page of the issue.

HTH

regards.

mark.

Yes! Thanks so much.  I was convinced that it couldn't have been that soon into my marriage :D - we're still together though--,  so there were obviously more unacceptable magazines to purchase at the time.

Just off over to Ebay to have a trip over memory hump.

Thanks again 

Stu 

• Like 1

• 9C85 changed the title to NOW FOUND: Layout plan search - Railway Modeller c1999

And here is the plan in question...

IMG-20210302-WA0004.jpeg.9a04485afe630df50cba9189234ddd27.jpeg

Copyright Peco Publications and Publicity Ltd. 1994

The 'room' (at 20ft x 14 ft) is bigger than I remember and is too big for my garage - if indeed I felt the urge to start a new project. 

There's always the option of switching to N Gauge but looking at the prices of stock in 1994 compared to now (Farish Class 08 for £24.95), I think that train has well and truly gone over the hump :O

• 9C85 changed the title to NOW FOUND: Layout plan search - Railway Modeller c1999 (actually 1994)
  • RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

The 'room' (at 20ft x 14 ft) is bigger than I remember and is too big for my garage - if indeed I felt the urge to start a new project. 

I like the idea, but even in that large space it looks a bit optimistic: I'd like to see a scale version which proves that the yard throats top and bottom can actually be done with ready to lay track at reasonable radii and that the loops are a decent length.  Also it seems freight trains can only depart in one direction, though a trailing crossover off the right hand headshunt would fix that.

The size of even a smallish marshalling yard really cries out for a bitsa approach in a domestic setting, or as Chris Pendlenton called it "modelling the interesting ends of things" - see for example North ShieldsMorfa Bank and Guide Dog Bridge.

• Like 1

My current layout alludes to there being tracks continuing on beyond the bridges at either end, and it's just the fact that it's a backwater yard in the early 80s that means that only 5 coach trains are the norm.

I have tried to concentrate on the 'interesting bit' ...but then obscured it with girder bridges :D

1 hour ago, Flying Pig said:

Also it seems freight trains can only depart in one direction, though a trailing crossover off the right hand headshunt would fix that.

I remember spending hours looking at the plan and trying to work out why there was no 'clockwise' exit.

You're correct about the crossover.  I would have it as a scissors crossover above the right hand entrance to the hidden sidings, and extend the headshunt further down the layout. 

I would also have it as an 'ex-hump' yard - I know you can get wagons to uncouple wherever you need them but I don't think you can get a realistic speed from loose shunted wagons, especially OO scale.  

• Like 1

On 02/03/2021 at 14:38, Flying Pig said:

I like the idea, but even in that large space it looks a bit optimistic: I'd like to see a scale version which proves that the yard throats top and bottom can actually be done with ready to lay track at reasonable radii and that the loops are a decent length.  Also it seems freight trains can only depart in one direction, though a trailing crossover off the right hand headshunt would fix that.

The size of even a smallish marshalling yard really cries out for a bitsa approach in a domestic setting, or as Chris Pendlenton called it "modelling the interesting ends of things" - see for example North ShieldsMorfa Bank and Guide Dog Bridge.

When I first saw the plan I was reminded of a Hornby plan with roundy outside and a station inside, then looking at the track required I realised it would have to be double the size. Then I finally saw the scale and realised what a big plan it actually was. The radii would be fine, the inside track will be 3' radius. Interesting layout.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a most interesting track layout, that might tempt me if I was ever presented with a large enough space. That said... .., and it may be heresy to some...... where and how would you modify it, if you wanted to run passenger trains with a station? Where would it fit, or where would the layout need extending? Purely daydreaming .......

48 minutes ago, ITG said:

Yes, a most interesting track layout, that might tempt me if I was ever presented with a large enough space. That said... .., and it may be heresy to some...... where and how would you modify it, if you wanted to run passenger trains with a station? Where would it fit, or where would the layout need extending? Purely daydreaming .......

You'd get a small station in the cutting at the top of the layout - simple two track affair.

Fiddleyard would be under the tracks at the bottom - a few loops to hold a selection of trains - the freight I would imagine would stick mainly to being stored in the yard.  Also it has to be remembered that may yards operated to support traffic in one direction - take Mottram to the east of Manchester - it's role was to split trains coming from Yorkshire, trains going to the other way were sorted at Dunford Bridge for their colliery destinations.  So the fiddleyard might hold a couple of freights that are returning and don't need to access the marshalling yard.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ITG said:

That said... .., and it may be heresy to some...... where and how would you modify it, if you wanted to run passenger trains with a station?

Choose a different plan? You aren't going to fit more than a very small station in this one.  There's still plenty of running line to watch your trains go by and it looks like you could fit full length expresses with ease.

• Like 1

I purposely try to avoid stations in every plan I have dreamt up so far.  The static people and non-opening doors just reinforces the 'toy ' concept for me. I like layouts which suggest a station, with perhaps just the ends of a platform showing from beneath an overbridge.

If I ever do another layout, it will be based on a station approach where trains are dragged from off-scene (say 'stage left') by the station pilot and either taken to the off-scene (stage right) carriage sidings or set back stage left into another platform, with the corresponding light engine moves to complete the illusion. For a terminus set up, loco hauled trains would arrive from stage right, and depart from stage left.

The layout could even be a continuous run to allow freight traffic, but the off-scene station would be a through station which also had terminating services... think Bristol TM, Cardiff, Sheffield etc.