Freight Rover 365/Sherpa Minibus

Ragtag

These were quite a common minibus around our way in the early 90s, so I thought I'd have a crack at making one. Quite happy with the results so far. I have a need for several however so this will also be a first attempt at home casting. Fingers crossed!

20210217_075658.jpg.33bee7e9b8ee71a5a42be5a6888c4e5f.jpg20210217_151239.jpg.9054f018c4127ddf857da111acd1ee3d.jpg20210218_085714.jpg.186d973d06a5e8f85af05841e3fb6757.jpg20210218_225314.jpg.759e5ec5a0637043d9f1fcbcb10388d4.jpg20210220_102657.jpg.092b9bf1aa7e9a7bd2bec63c95872d04.jpg20210220_102803.jpg.04ea62b00b64f8dd95dfcc07a2ad2d02.jpg20210220_143608.jpg.772a18ac5697dac804a07dd883b1855b.jpg20210220_143703.jpg.051e567d17187134697670f4d7fda838.jpg

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

2 hours ago, Pillar said:

Brilliant stuff. Where did you get the propotype dimensions?

I didn't, couldn't find them anywhere. I started with the Kingfisher models sherpa and widened the front to the correct width based on the number of slots on the grille. I then shrank a photo to match the size of the nose and drew the plans from there, checking againt references as I went e.g. the 1/76 Sunrise Metrorider.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ragtag said:

I didn't, couldn't find them anywhere. I started with the Kingfisher models sherpa and widened the front to the correct width based on the number of slots on the grille. I then shrank a photo to match the size of the nose and drew the plans from there, checking againt references as I went e.g. the 1/76 Sunrise Metrorider.

All the more impressive. It looks like a very good representation.

It's also encouraging to hear how you judged the width of the Sherpa nose from the number of grille slots; I was planning to do the same to make a wide-bodied mail van.

Edited by Pillar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pillar said:

All the more impressive. It looks like a very good representation.

It's also encouraging to hear how you judged the width of the Sherpa nose from the number of grille slots; I was planning to do the same to make a wide-bodied mail van.

If it helps I added 5mm to the width - cutting the 2nd 'slot' towards the centre from the headlight on each side.

I need a few of those too (in the Leyland DAF 400 guise) for my layout - currently torn between scratchbuilding or modifying the HK models version. At around 40 quid a pop though I think scratchbuilding may just win out! Then I need to have a crack at the LDV Pilot and Convoy...

Edited by Ragtag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The 'breadvan'  minibuses were once quite common. Pity no diecast maker seems interested in producing a model.

An older version of a Transit based minibus was produced by TiNY kits as kit no. TK67B (link here), but seems to be out of production.

Until recently a 1980s era Transit based minibus was listed as a forthcoming kit from Saltire models. Unfortunately the business has now closed down as of September last year, so this seems unlikely to happen now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pillar said:

An older version of a Transit based minibus was produced by TiNY kits as kit no. TK67B (link here), but seems to be out of production.

Until recently a 1980s era Transit based minibus was listed as a forthcoming kit from Saltire models. Unfortunately the business has now closed down as of September last year, so this seems unlikely to happen now.

Transit minibuses are doable though - the bodies are relatively straightforward to build  and the ABS Mk.2 Transit front has recently become available again whilst Mk.1 fronts can be hacked from John Day models or diecasts. I spliced a John Day diesel snout onto one of the Tiny bodies.

One of the owners of Saltire mentioned recently they were still looking at the Mk.2 Transit, so who knows? Perhaps once they've released their Ailsa.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pillar said:

Looking good! Destined for Northumbria livery I assume?

Where did you get the whitemetal roof ventilators by the way?

They are indeed, possibly with some allover ad versions if the casting goes well.

The fletner roof vents are from Mark Hughes, part F24a.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The seats covers are as I remember, I think there was definitely an angled step at 45 degrees, possibly the second step.

They were perfect for our estate, when they were replaced by low floor single deckers they were too long to get round the roads.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Norm81 said:

The seats covers are as I remember, I think there was definitely an angled step at 45 degrees, possibly the second step.

They were perfect for our estate, when they were replaced by low floor single deckers they were too long to get round the roads.

That's handy to know, not many pics which show the entry well in much detail with the resolution of contemporary cameras.

• Like 1

On 10/04/2021 at 22:57, Ragtag said:

Well, that escalated quickly...

You're telling me! Meanwhile I haven't finished a single one of my buses yet!

Brilliant work as always. Is the crimson and cream one destined for OK Travel ownership by any chance?

Cheers,

Liam

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pillar said:

Brilliant work as always. Is the crimson and cream one destined for OK Travel ownership by any chance?

Cheers,

Liam

It is indeed, couldn't resist an attempt at the 20-seat Carlyle bodies.

• Like 2

On 16/04/2021 at 05:42, Pillar said:

Also, having seen the work you're putting into your metrorider I'm not sure it's a fair comparison!

• Agree 1