Bachmann A1 32-556 Great Central. Past problem?

gordon s

Perhaps someone can refresh my memory. Tried searching without success.

I've been ploughing through boxes and found this loco which hasn't been run at all. Put it up on a rolling road on DC and ran it for a couple of hours and it runs very well. I was just about to fit a decoder when I recalled there was an issue with a Bachmann loco some time ago where the motor was suspect and it didn't perform very well. I think there were mods some done at a later date and the motor replaced.

Blowed if I can remember which one it was and wondered if it was this A1 as I have had it numerous years. It runs well on DC, but I can't run it on my layout to see what it will pull without some work as ET is DCC based.

If it's OK, I may well keep it or it could be heading for eBay......

I do remember the early A1s and the Std4 tank around the same time (very early 2000s?) had an issue with the motors. I think they got rather hot and were prone to burn out and even melt the body, but I can't remember exactly what the root cause of the issue was within the motor itself. There were some other issues with the early A1s, but the big one was the motor.

I had one of the affected tanks at the time, but on my then little shunting plank the motor problem never surfaced and it was always a decent performer. I do recall that at the time a motor replacement scheme took place where you could return the chassis of the model for replacement but I think you could also order a replacement motor for a DIY repair if you were so inclined. The replacement was a Mashima motor, and these were really very good by all accounts. I remember having the chat with the old owner at my local model shop about returning mine for a motor replacement, which eventually I declined as I didn't have an obvious issue. Mine ran well for years until I sold it during a house move clearout.

On the plus side in your case, as far as I can tell the infamous motor issue affected the A1 models 32-550, 32-551 and 32-552 so the one you have should be fine in this regard.

Thanks for that info Z. I really didn’t want to take the body off if there was an issue. I must have run it in both directions slowly and flat out for several hours and the body was cool. To be on the safe side, I’ll take the body off this afternoon and see what lurks beneath.

I suppose I could have rung Bachmann, but you guys are very knowledgeable.....:drinks:  

• RMweb Gold

Just bought a  mint boxed unrun 32-522 North Eastern and can confirm that whilst it runs sweetly enough light engine it cannot pull the skin off a rice puddin. Happily a replacement motor and motor mount (the later motors are longer than the original) came to a total of £26 from the ever helpful Bachmann. I am sure with the new motor fitted it will be as sweet running and powerful as my A1 Great Central and A2 Blue Peter :)

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, gordon s said:

To be on the safe side, I’ll take the body off this afternoon and see what lurks beneath.

I agree with Zunnan, Great Central I'm sure wasn't one of the early A1s with a suspect motor (put it this way, my Great Central's fine).  However, while you've got the body off, you might want to flex the fallplate a bit so it's not resting on the tender (that assumes you're close coupling the loco to the tender), and clip a bit less than half the length off the springs above the front bogie and Cartazzi axle, restretching what's left of the springs back to their original length.  That allows more weight onto the driving wheels (while still ensuring the springs do their job) and hugely improves the Bachmann A1's adhesion and haulage capacity.

Pete T.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Body is off and this is what greeted me. The data sheet say it's a 551-114 motor, but there are no labels or identifying marks.

Did a Google search on that part number, but none the wiser.

Perhaps I'll give Bachmann a call before I start shortening springs etc......

DSCF1578.jpg.07e6be334f9af7ff7cb249051977311f.jpg

All done. Removed the DC gubbins and hard wired a Zimo decoder in place. Once on the track it romped away with 8 coaches with bags of power in hand. Runs like a dream and no derailments yet at any speed.

Had to go back into another box and found an A2 60533 Happy Knight (31-528) so that's my job for tomorrow. If it's anywhere near as good, I'll be one happy bunny.......

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, gordon s said:

All done. Removed the DC gubbins and hard wired a Zimo decoder in place. Once on the track it romped away with 8 coaches with bags of power in hand. Runs like a dream and no derailments yet at any speed.

Had to go back into another box and found an A2 60533 Happy Knight (31-528) so that's my job for tomorrow. If it's anywhere near as good, I'll be one happy bunny.......

That's definitely the newer longer motor you've got there - hence the good performance. Happy Knight will be mechanically the same. Fitted Zimo's to mine as well - lovely runners :)

• Thanks 1