new idea based on reinventing an old idea?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Just to correct a common misconception,  Spiral staircases take up as much room as a 'normal' staircase and are not in anyway spacesaving. 

A common misconception, they are more "space efficient" in certain circumstances where linear space is at a premium.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A common misconception, they are more "space efficient" in certain circumstances where linear space is at a premium.

Mike.

Your Misconception is a Misconception. Where linear space is at a premium it is more advantageous to fit a full/ half landing or turned stair rather than a spiral.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

Your Misconception is a Misconception. Where linear space is at a premium it is more advantageous to fit a full/ half landing or turned stair rather than a spiral.

Hmmmm.

I was only basing my experience on small cottages in the Peak District with low ceilings, and stone spirals too!

Mike.

• Like 1

Based on a 12 step staircase, 6 straight steps would fit in about 3/4 length of diameter of spiral staircase, but a landing would about length of half that diameter, making a total lenth 1-1/4 that of the spiral staircase, not much, but still more .

For multi levels an ironwork spiral starcase could be built with exits at each level(steps 11 and 12). It is something I have looked at in model designs, but not sure if anyone ever built one.

Even multilevels without intermediate floors, a spiral staircase wouldrequire a smaller foot print than a set of straight staircases. In fact it is not uncommon for steps to be angled to reduce length required, in effect using some of the spiral staircase concept in a conventional straight staircase.

From a practical point of view only real problem with a spiral staircae is difficulty in moving large objects (beds, desks etc)up and down, but I have had problem with small straight cases(with odd bends) in small houses in the past.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, rue_d_etropal said:

Based on a 12 step staircase, 6 straight steps would fit in about 3/4 length of diameter of spiral staircase

Being a carpenter for 42 years I could rabbit on about stairs for ages, but the issue with spirals is they are never compared like for like with normal flight stairs.  

Spirals were used for decorative purposes rather than practical, part of the problem is headroom above the riser. A spiral must be in it's own free square space between floors (if fitted internally) which is twice the tread width plus hand rail (x2) and centre pole.

A normal flight with turned treads (going) half/full landing allows the first floor to be extended over the first steps until the headroom is compromised. It may not be much floor area gained, but in smaller properties it can make a big difference.

As a decorative stair a spiral can be a centrepiece, but a practical stair it isn't, and can't be fitted as a primary stair between floors.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

As a decorative stair a spiral can be a centrepiece, but a practical stair it isn't, and can't be fitted as a primary stair between floors.

Yes. A customer bought a modern industrial unit and installed a first floor. He has a spiral staircase inside the front of the building, it was just about the only architectural feature he could have. But there is a second staircase, and this had to be a straight flight. In practice, customers and suppliers use the spiral staircase (I told him I would swear he put it in to disorientate people), and staff use both.

- Richard.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If this is aimed in part at the steampunk community, you might be interested in a film I found last night - “Mortal Engines”. The plot was no Oscar winner, but the visual effects  won awards. They were done by Weta who did the Lord of the Rings, etc