New Dapol O gauge B4

birdseyecircus

28 minutes ago, steveb860 said:

But that's already been announced, albeit a long time ago. This implies something new. 

When is a previous announcement so long ago without the actual announced product arriving, that it can be classed as a new announcement of the previously announced product? 

I think 8+ years could just sneak into the new announcement Category.

53 minutes ago, Courtybella said:

Dare I hope for the mythical HEA coal wagon......

Agree, but not holding my breath.... :rolleyes: :no:

Edit: if it's a Class 22, I'll forgive them.  But somehow I just doubt it's going to be anything I would want.... :(

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Piemanlarger said:

Two reasons not to get excited :

Its not a 56xx

What ever it is I'm not likley to live long enough to buy it lol

Well GWR is well served by the three main manufacturers, I would hope for something like a BR standard tank.

I do agree though about living long enough to see whatever it is, Dapol seem to take eons to actually deliver something.  I was a bit excited when the Vanwide and Palvan were announced...I can't even remember when.  It was before the plague so that makes it an eternity.  Still no sign.  Ditto for the Mk1 coaches.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, brossard said:

Well GWR is well served by the three main manufacturers, I would hope for something like a BR standard tank.

I do agree though about living long enough to see whatever it is, Dapol seem to take eons to actually deliver something.  I was a bit excited when the Vanwide and Palvan were announced...I can't even remember when.  It was before the plague so that makes it an eternity.  Still no sign.  Ditto for the Mk1 coaches.

John

According to Tower Models site, the first of the Dapol Mk1’s are on the water, so shouldn’t be too much longer now! :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, brossard said:

You can't have enough GWR. A 1361/1366 would be nice :)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, brossard said:

I would hope for something like a BR standard tank.

I thought Lionheart had already formally announced a standard type 3 - I remember pointing out on a thread fairly recently that it was still built at Swindon, if not actually GWR!

When the revamped cheaper prairie was first discussed, Richard said he wanted to do a loco of that size for each railway but that was a long long time ago now, probably pre Dapol.

Edit: found the thread now - they put an ad in the Gazette saying were starting development. I think Dapol and Lionheart are treated as separate brands for things like this though.

Edited by Hal Nail

Well OK.  However that announcement was ages ago and there has been no update.  One might conclude that the idea had been dropped.  There is no mention on the Lionheart site.  There is a 45XX though(sigh).  The point is that the market needs steam locos that are not GWR.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, brossard said:

Well OK.  However that announcement was ages ago and there has been no update.  One might conclude that the idea had been dropped.  There is no mention on the Lionheart site.  There is a 45XX though(sigh).  The point is that the market needs steam locos that are not GWR.

John

It was Nov 2020 that they said research and development has started.

With a bit of luck this is something else as well.

1 hour ago, brossard said:

John

I think if Dapol have had good sales on their previous gwr locos such as 14xx 57xx etc  then another gwr loco could also sell well.

Given the option to purchase the Heljan / Minerva gwr stuff and it's quite easy to get into 0 gauge and build a gwr / brwr layout these days.

That's what happened to me!

Personally I think tank engines will sell better than (big) tender locos as room at home is of course limited to most.

I do concede it would be good to see other regions catered for but at the same time not at the expense of gwr.

Thus what's needed is for Hornby and bschmannto fill the gap in the growing market?? 

• Agree 1

Fingers crossed for an Austerity tank loco; the promised DJM one now no longer being on the cards, it would give a short-wheelbase 0-6-0 to appeal to a wide variety of industrial modellers, military modellers, those doing preserved lines, and with a bit of BR-ification, the Eastern Region and bits of Derbyshire...

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Piemanlarger said:

I think if Dapol have had good sales on their previous gwr locos such as 14xx 57xx etc  then another gwr loco could also sell well.

Given the option to purchase the Heljan / Minerva gwr stuff and it's quite easy to get into 0 gauge and build a gwr / brwr layout these days.

That's what happened to me!

Personally I think tank engines will sell better than (big) tender locos as room at home is of course limited to most.

I do concede it would be good to see other regions catered for but at the same time not at the expense of gwr.

Thus what's needed is for Hornby and bschmannto fill the gap in the growing market?? 

I do get that GWR stock sells well.  The iconic GWR BLT is hard to resist for many.

I also agree that smaller locos are more appropriate for indoor layouts.  Hard to justify a Pacific on a 20' layout.

However, GWR is not the be all and end all for the hobby so the manufacturers need to try to balance that.

I have been hoping to see Hornby and/or Bachmann step up to the 0 gauge plate.  No sign yet though.  Hornby has had it's issues of late so I'm thinking they are trying to consolidate and not over commit.  Bachmann did have their brass range some while ago.  It would be good to see them use their injection moulded expertise in 0 gauge just as Dapol has done.

This is going to be a long thread of speculation before the week is out.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If they want to stick with the GWR theme then why not move away from locos and produce a RTR toad. I suspect that they could shift quite a few of these. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Kris said:

If they want to stick with the GWR theme then why not move away from locos and produce a RTR toad. I suspect that they could shift quite a few of these.

To be fair the GWR Toad is one of the obvious low hanging fruit in the market. I'm surprised that one hasn't been done yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2