Midland and South Western Junction Railway (M&SWJR)

KeithMacdonald

What a great topic - just enjoyed reading all of it and many of the links. I lived in Durrington for 10 years and know the area between Swindon & Andover well especially when I worked in Swindon for 6 years and used to drive or catch the W&D "5" from Durrington to Swindon along the A345 or via the "back way" through Collingbourne, etc. where much of the trackbed can still be seen. Such a shame it never lasted - would have been such a useful cross-country link.

I also lived for 6 months in this small block of flats in Kilworth Court off Junction Road Andover that were built on the trackbed of the "S&W" too. Used to be able to watch trains on the WOE line embankment from my sofa !

Kilworth Court.jpg

• Like 2

Any news from the Swindon & Cricklade Railway? Last I heard their excellent people have laid their hands on some surplus track, and relaid it, heading towards Cricklade. 2.5 miles done, 1.25 miles to go!

https://swindon-cricklade-railway.org/return-to-cricklade/

and

https://swindon-cricklade-railway.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Return-to-Cricklade-Appeal-Prospectus-Issue-1.pdf

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2023 at 20:05, MrWolf said:

Thanks for sharing your build photos @Pete Haitch, without such things we tend to forget how far we've come and the problems we've had to solve along the way.

It's certainly given me some ideas for building an iron Toad 

I decided to at least see what the iron toad would look like with paint and transfers.  I went for the livery that would have applied when it was mooching around the secondary lines of Wiltshire as I then have the option of weathering it to look as old and as decrepit,  as my build is poor.  I will halve the height of the widows at the non-veranda end. The number is as built as I have no idea what it may have been renumbered to. Having looked at pictures of early toads the iron mink buffers are more appropriate than the later toad ones. 

The good thing is I am motivated to now build another without the mismeasures, miscuts, gouges etc. of this one, and, having practised painting a bit more, finish it in pre 1904 livery.

Picture D.jpg

The cattle truck is from a batch of 4 unmade Cooper Crafts kits and 3 'dooer-uppers' I recently purchased. Worked out at just under £5.00 a vehicle not including the packet of unopened Maygib wheels I found at the bottom of the box..

Edited by Pete Haitch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2023 at 23:01, KeithMacdonald said:

Hello @Southernman46 - thanks for the memories. That bus is still running as the Salisbury Reds Route X5.

https://bustimes.org/services/x5-salisbury-amesbury-bulford-pewsey

Thank for that, I see the number 8 still runs from Andover to Salisbury, used to get that for a short bit to go to school if it was raining. It also went through bulford to Salisbury further on the route. I can remember when they permanently blocked the road so the number 8 bus couldn't drive down from the overbridge to Andover station, then going on to the bus station near Andover town station..which closed a bit earlier.

ISTR the S&W part of the Junction Road overbridge at the east end of Andover station was only removed and tidied up as recently at 2007.

Andover station yard was also completely relayed in brand new track right up to the Weyhill Road OB just last year with a proper fence going up around the yard (at last) to separate the "Switch" haulage depot and the former LSWR steam shed area.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this ever got a mention before.  It's a very nice MSWJR 3-plank dropside wagon, built by @Mikkel. Just found while looking at his excellent Farthings, not far from the M&SWJR (via Savernake). These wagons might also make an appearance on the Calne & Hungerford Railway (just being built in 1940)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
On 17/03/2021 at 20:29, KeithMacdonald said:

Savernake

Low-level (GWR) and high-level (M&SWJR) stations.

Only just noticed that the Astolat MRC in Guildford, Surrey, is (or was) building Savernake.

Savernake – Work in progress
Our next OO layout is a representation of the two stations at Savernake; both the lower GWR and upper MSWJR stations are modelled. We have been progressing the scenic work having completed the track laying, however are still waiting to install all of the electronics due to waiting for ‘chips’ (like everyone else…..).  A DCC controlled layout 24ft x 12ft, it provides for a full running sequence on either line with links for (mostly) freight traffic between them. The layout includes the section of the Kennet and Avon canal at Bruce Tunnel, which prototypically passes under the lower station. A moving canal barge gently travels from one end to the other. Also featured is the Steam Pumping station at Crofton. The layout has been exhibited in ‘under construction’ form at exhibitions and open days, but we expect to be able to exhibit the layout fully at our 2025 exhibition. Below are some images of the layout in progress and and overview track plan and suggested operations plan.

https://astolatmrc.co.uk/club-layouts/

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just found in Swindon Central Library album on Flickr.

2002: Railway crossing keeper's cottage, Broome Manor Lane, Swindon - The Crossing Keeper's cottage was demolished within about a year of this picture being taken, and replaced with a large house. The cottage was at the far end of the houses on that side of Broome Manor Lane when the railway was there. The crossing led to Broome Manor Farm.

2002: Railway crossing keeper's cottage, Broome Manor Lane, Swindon

• Like 2

Perhaps like this one?

Hugh Llewelyn (on Flickr) - Diag.1/219 No.B80703 - 'PALSHOCVAN' 12 ton, ventilated, fitted shock-absorbing pallet van No.B80703, with plywood sides and doors and corrugated steel ends, Lot 3347, built at BR (Wolverton) in 1961 at Bitton, Avon Valley Railway, 28 December 2018. TOPS code VRV. This wagon ended up working for the MoD. It is incorrectly numbered as should be in the B555XXX series. It is a shock-absorbing bersion of the Diag.1/211 'PALVAN'. 200 Diag.1/219's were built by BR (Faverdale and Wolverton) in 1958-61.

Diag.1/219 No.B80703

Or one for stores into Ludgershall?

BR Diagram 1/211 12 ton fitted, ventilated, 'PALVAN' (pallet goods van) B778782 was built during 1959 at Faverdale and fitted with an all plywood body. After BR service this van served at the Royal Ordnance Factory, Glascoed as No.18871.

PALVAN B778782.

Don't overlook that these conserved vans have come out of internal use with the MoD or RoF, this is 18871 at ROF Glascoed https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpalvan/e606acf08   But could be used for MoD traffic before the VEAs. 

45 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Perhaps like this one?

Diag.1/219 No.B80703

Hugh Llewelyn (on Flickr) - Diag.1/219 No.B80703 - 'PALSHOCVAN' 12 ton, ventilated, fitted shock-absorbing pallet van No.B80703, with plywood sides and doors and corrugated steel ends, Lot 3347, built at BR (Wolverton) in 1961 at Bitton, Avon Valley Railway, 28 December 2018. TOPS code VRV. This wagon ended up working for the MoD. It is incorrectly numbered as should be in the B555XXX series. It is a shock-absorbing bersion of the Diag.1/211 'PALVAN'. 200 Diag.1/219's were built by BR (Faverdale and Wolverton) in 1958-61.

And this is it at Glascoed https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brpalshocvan/e69fa2cd2  I don't know who wrote it should be in the number series B555xxx. Those, of course, are BR mineral wagons! It should be B855xxx

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1