Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tank Museum celebration of modelling--part 2 added--

Museum curator David Willey presents the topic of modelling with Chris Barrie, various guests and photos submitted from many people around the world

The museums collection models used by the military as concept art and identifacation training

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice video. Not one I would have seen normally so many thanks for posting it.

Up to the age of about 16, I built ships, military vehicles, aircraft and railway models. When we moved to a much smaller house, I had to choose one as there was just no room for all the models I had built in all the different disciplines and I chose to keep the railways.

I still enjoy all aspects of model making and there are some cracking good models in the film, as well as some interesting people. 

20 years ago when i met my wife she was the assistant curator at The Tank Museum working alongside David Willey!  In her job she used to get to ride in the tanks during live action demos and stuff - great fun.  Alas i never got to have a go...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think we ought to sponsor David Fletchers' moustache. Part of my basic was done at Bovvie. The last time I visited, the arena had replaced the running track.  I'd guess it's all gone now.  Must go to a Tankfest when I get the chance.

• RMweb Premium

I need to revisit Bovington, not been there since the 1960's. Granddad first went there in 1919 to join the Royal Tank Corps, last time there  in uniform 1953... 

Nice to see the Airfix Matilda 2 there, I need a few more of those, for my layout.. Granddad did the desert gallop in those..

• Like 2

• sir douglas changed the title to Tank Museum celebration of modelling--part 2 added--
  • RMweb Premium

If one of the gold "Shir " models is at the tank Museum where are the Silver Chieftain and Khalid models?  And where are the 1/6 motorised Chieftain  and Centurion models built at ROF Barnbow?

Nice to see people doing some very interesting modelling.. especially some AFVs. My one claim to fame is that one of the Princes in Jordan receive a Tamiya Challenger 1 built and painted by me...

Baz

• RMweb Gold

The Tank Museum is very good indeed these days especially since they opened the new hall. Well presented and allowed more space around at least a few of the tanks. 
Tankfest is very good but to be honest the Tiger days are nearly as good and cheaper! On the Tiger days they still run a good selection of vehicles in the arena but don’t have the models and re-enactors etc. Plus the Tiger day tickets are valid for revisits for the rest of the year :) 

I was so disappointed by the revamp of the Imperial War Museum main atrium I wrote and suggested they visit Bovington! ;)