Southern EPB refurb at Horwich, how often?

w124bob

Nice shot of a 4EPB running through (the other)Victoria, begs the question of of how common, and what route did it take. It's not the first picture I found of EPB's at Victoria, the other being an 8 car set enroute to Horwich behind a cl 25 (vac only) complete with brakevan. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:45108_at_Manchester_Victoria_East_Junction_signal_box.jpg

4 minutes ago, w124bob said:

Nice shot of a 4EPB running through (the other)Victoria, begs the question of of how common, and what route did it take. It's not the first picture I found of EPB's at Victoria, the other being an 8 car set enroute to Horwich behind a cl 25 (vac only) complete with brakevan. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:45108_at_Manchester_Victoria_East_Junction_signal_box.jpg

Came up as a class 45/1

Blood and Custard has records of which were done at Horwich, when the donor units were taken out of traffic and when the face lifted units re-entered traffic so it'll give you a rough idea of the frequency.

A very quick scoot over it shows 30 units done at Horwich with 1 into service in 1980, 10 in 1981, 14 in 1982 and 5 in 1983.

As an aside, iirc the first Horwich unit, 5404, had some seriously impressive, real craftsman style hand painted lettering on the cab ends giving the overall dimensions and weight.  My recollection was that it went all across the cab front just above the buckeye running plate and didn't appear on any of the others - presumably someone had a word about it being OTT.       

Edited by DY444

This picture I took is at Stockport station with 304.042 arriving and 5451 + one other returning from Horwich to the Southern region.

A diesel brought the train to Stockport and an electric too the train forward to Willesden

Peter

304.042-Stockport.jpg

Edited by Peter749
  • Like 2