Parkside tube wagon couplings

Hello. 

has anyone built a rake of OO gauge Parkside tube wagons?

i have 7, and built them all OK, fitted small NEM couplings to them but they persisted in derailing. even on 4th rad curves inside a tunnel. 

i have narrowed it down to the couplings. because the wagon is so long, the NEM couplings do not have to flex or room to allow for movement and this results in the wagons derailing. 

i have found a picture online of a Bachmann tube wagon and have realised they used a cam system much like that on a Hornby 31/50/60. 

has anyone built a rake of these wagons and run them successfully? if so, what couplings did you use on the Parkside kits?

thanks in advance. 

Dan 

• RMweb Gold

Unrelated to the couplings but have you tried a little extra weight - it may help?

What coupling is a "small NEM" - I tend to think of NEM as being the pocket rather than the coupling?

Chris

Edited by Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Whilst I use scale instanters and have no first hand experience of your issue, could it be that using the "narrow" couplings is not giving the bar/hook enough room to swing round on curves?

Fitting 2 adjacent wagons with full fat couplings with a larger loop might solve the problem

Mike.