Dapol 08 lights and the Loksound v4

dmustu

Hi All,

Does anyone have any advice regarding the operation of the lighting on the Dapol 08 when fitted with a Loksound v4?

I have had the chip sitting in a drawer for ages, the chip originally having Hornby 08 sounds on it. Before I had it re-blown with leggomanbiffo sounds, as soon as track power was switched on, all lights came on on the loco (including the cab light), pressing F0 didn't do anything. Marker lights had one red and one white at each end, which is what I want it to display. Since having it re-blown, lighting operates more or less the same, but it shows 2 white lights at the cab end. F0 and F19 alter the lighting, but in a way I'm not bothered about.

What I want to do is have one red and one white light at each end, and if possible be able to switch the lights on and off. Although I have a very basic grasp of re-programming CV's, I have had a look through the loksound v4 manual and cannot make head nor tail of what CV's I need to change! 

Can anyone offer some guidance on what CV's need changing, and to what values, to get the lighting working better?

Thanks, Stu.

• RMweb Premium

Is the decoder hardwired or plugged in? I only ask as this may effect how to proceed.

Logically you would connect the red and white LED wires at one end together and connect them to the headlight/front light connection on the decoder and connect the red & white LEDs at the other end to the rear light connection. They should then respond to the F0 function key. This is the opposite to the way lights are normally wired.

Do you have the function key assignment list for the decoder. That might advise you whether any of the other function keys have been set up to control (or otherwise) the various lights. I'd guess you don't but I have to ask.

The decoder is plugged in, 21 pin. It had red/white lights both ends before the reblow, so I'm guessing the change to 2 whites at one end is down to the programming. I don't have the function key assignment list, it didn't come with one. Edit - Found a list on the DC Kits website.

Thanks.

Class 08 V13 Bulletin.pdf

Edited by dmustu
Found decoder info pdf

• RMweb Premium

It certainly doesn't seem as though any of the other function keys have been set up to operate the lights although I notice that F19 appears to have a sound assigned to it which makes me wonder if that list is relevant to your decoder.

Have you checked that all the other function keys do/don't do what the list says.

I doubt that the re-blow of the decoder has also seen some wiring change. Did the loco go with the decoder or was it just the decoder that went for the re-blow?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I believe you need a 21MTC decoder with 6 functions for the Dapol 08 to get all the lights working properly but the Loksound V4 is a 4 function 21MTC type so it might be a challenge. The 08 thread on the Dapol pages has quite a bit of info regarding re-wiring of lights for those using DC which might be useful. I am sure someone with knowledge of the V4 will hopefully be along to offer advice.

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe there is 2 versions of the Dapol 08 and the later ones need the decoder with full power functions so a Loksound V4 wouldn't do all the lights.

If its an earlier version you might still need to remap the functions to match the Dapol model, I'm guessing the project is setup for the Bachmann/Hornby ones. Especially the V4 one.

• Thanks 1

There's some confusion about what's required, so here's the background.

Both versions of the Dapol 08 were designed to use a ZIMO MX644D.

This has 'open collector' type function outputs on all 'Aux'. Loksound 21MTC (all ESU 21 pin decoders) have 'logic level only' on Aux 3 and above. This was well known long before the Dapol 08 was  designed but it rarely caused a problem in UK since virtually no R-T-R models were produced that required FOs above Aux2.

Dapol decided to use Aux 3 in their lighting scheme and of course as all ZIMO Function Outputs were full power (open collector) the loco PCB was designed that way.

After the model was launched, users who fitted ESU found that the rear lights were permanently 'on' because the decoder did not match the PCB's requirements.

Some modification of the wiring was required to allow the ESU to operate the lights correctly.

Then with the newer versions of the 08, Dapol changed the wiring from that of the original batch. However they still required open collector FOs (Aux). For ZIMO decoders this just required a function remap, for ESU this required some reworking of the model.

So, in order to get the lights working correctly, or should I say, as Dapol designed them (neither version is strictly prototypical) with ESU Loksound, you will need to know which version of the model you have and exactly what modifications to the model's wiring are required.

When that's been achieved, you can map the decoder functions to the modified Dapol wiring.

I'm sure this will all be pretty straightforward when you have worked out what needs to be done. I'm certain Bif will know what's required so he's the best person to give detailed advice on this.

Probably not applicable if you already have an ESU decoder but for me, I'd just stick in a ZIMO MX644D which simply plugs in and works as Dapol intended, (though I wouldn't use Dapol's R-T-R sound project).

Best regards,

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

There are indeed two versions of the Dapol 7mm 08. The original one had a 21-pin interface which did not comply with the 21-pin MTC standard, so the vast majority of 21-pin chips would not work the lights properly. A work-around was possible which involved all four marker lights being permanently lit, which fortuitously is the same as most 08's were operated (driver's left them on all the time otherwise they'd be changing them all day long when shunting backwards and forwards).

The later versions had much improved lighting functionality, and their release coincided with ESU's release of the v5 MKL chip which features 10 auxiliary outputs, all at full voltage. As such it was possible to enable multiple lighting modes on the model (normal, tail lights disabled, parking mode (reds at both ends) and shunt mode (one red / one white at each end). And a working cab light. No modification of the later models are necessary when using the Loksound v5 MKL chip, it's just plug and play.

Stu, if you'd like to get in touch with Charlie at DC Kits or myself we'll help you get the lights doing what you want, by changing CV's or exchanging your chip if necessary.

Bif

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1