GNR(I) Office Building

Patrick Davey

My current project is a 'micro' layout (48in x 18in scenic area) based on a fictional location on the Great Northern Railway of Ireland, in Co. Antrim.  The project is steadily turning into a tribute to the distinctive work of the GN's Chief Engineer William Hemingway Mills, who was with the company from 1876 to 1910 and left a legacy of incredible buildings including stations, signal cabins, engine sheds and many others.  His most memorable architectural style is often referred to as 'polychromatic' in that it uses different colours of brick, with either yellow or red being the predominant colour, relived by contrasting courses of black and either red or yellow.  Thankfully a good number of Mills' structures survive such as the yellow brick station buildings at Lisburn, Dundalk and Ardee, the red brick station buildings at Stewartstown, Ballyroney and Dunleer, the signal cabins at Moira, Ballyward and Irvinestown, and numerous station houses including those at Balmoral, Fintona, Victoria Bridge and elsewhere.  For my layout I have already built a station house, signal cabin and platform shelter in Mills' style so I thought it was time to tackle something in the yellow brick style, and I decided on a small office building.  The inspiration for the building is the small building which stands beside the running shed at Connolly Station.

Here are a few photos from the build - the main material is plasticard, with brick embossed plasticard for the outside walls, and the distinctive and authentic GNR(I) windows are a brass etch from Bill Bedford.  There are a few other detail items too such as white metal chimney pots and doors from York Modelmaking, and the over-window mouldings are laser printed in strong card.  For this build I decided to make more of an effort on the interior, and things got a bit carried away.....ah well!!

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 5