Tax on online deliveries?

G-BOAF

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

If the only way you can get human contact is with a shop assistant (lockdown not withstanding when you shouldn't be having contact with them) then perhaps you need to get out more and widen your social circle ;)

The issue of being reliant on technology is an interesting one but my experience is that it's plenty reliable enough. I never suffer internet or electrical outages. If things become bad enough to make using the web impractical then I suspect it'll be because of a complete collapse of UK infrastructure in which case I'll have better things to do than go to the Post Office anyway, lol.

Really ??

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AndrueC said:

If the only way you can get human contact is with a shop assistant (lockdown not withstanding when you shouldn't be having contact with them) then perhaps you need to get out more and widen your social circle ;)

4 hours ago, 40F said:

Really ??

There's just one problem here - due to the seemingly endless lockdown cycles, some people are getting even less human contact than usual.

We'd love to get out more - we'd love to be allowed to, but ... .

Please note, despite my continuing intense frustration with the lockdowns - and my suspicion that further lockdowns in future can't yet be ruled out - I still think they're preferable to what could potentially happen if they weren't imposed.

A number of people (including me) have lost friends and relatives to the Corona menace - and I don't think we've yet reached the point at which it can be easily managed.

Until then, a number of sociable people are likely to get and remain very lonely. When we can, finally, get out more, I'm sure we shall - until then, I don't see things changing anywhere near as rapidly as some of us would like.

Edit:  Perhaps at this point I should apologize if this post comes across as a bit snappy. Recent events have made this difficult to avoid.

Most people in the UK have been in lockdown for the last 3 months. For me, it's been longer - and felt much longer still.

Some people here already know that I lost my mother to hospital acquired Covid, about a fortnight before Christmas. The night before her death, I was invited to visit her in hospital - so I then needed to quarantine myself for a week or two, as a precaution. The moment I would have been allowed out of the house, the whole UK was plunged into the current lockdown.

Before my mother died, I'd been stuck at home - dealing with stuff required because she was in hospital (or trying to sort things in the hope she'd be fit enough to be released, following the fall that put her in hospital).

Even before she went into hospital, I'd been kept busy - pretty much round the clock - caring for her. I hadn't been able to leave her for months.

I'm not saying this to attract sympathy - but just to explain why, right now, certain comments that would normally be innocent (possibly even humourous) are not likely to be too well received.

I'm sorry about this - I'm also sorry if my reaction causes offence - but at least you've now got some idea where I'm coming from.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 14

9 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Apparently it's a place you can go to to get bills paid, driver's licenses, passports and parcels sent.

Quite why anyone would choose to actually go somewhere to get that done escapes me.

Such comments are not only unhelpfull they are stupid

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

15 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Such comments are not only unhelpfull they are stupid

I do my car tax online as its so easy

I go to the post office to send my packets (eBay sales) simply as its easier than buying the postage on line and they ensure the correct postage is paid, for me its simply for both ease & efficiency. Using Royal Mail seems the most secure and cost effective method as a non business user

What escapes me is why people still use Hermes, and I am hearing a few comments about eBay's Packlink when Hermes is used, as their customer service is so poor and delivery is very patchy in quality/reliability !!

Talking about the old Post Offices who has a model of a telegram delivery boy ?

• RMweb Premium

All this is effectively killing off international Model Railway product trade.  You can bet the UK Government will reciprocate so another 25% plus on imports from the US outline manufacturers I reckon....

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

All this is effectively killing off international Model Railway product trade.  You can bet the UK Government will reciprocate so another 25% plus on imports from the US outline manufacturers I reckon....

9503.00.00 ............... Toys, including riding toys o/than bicycles, puzzles, reduced scale models 

Toys OTHER THAN bikes, puzzles, and reduced scale models.

Looks like trains are safe for now :D

32 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

The USA seems to me to have the idea that the only place for American companies and Americans to be taxed is in the USA and anyone who disagrees is wrong! 

Not really.

They are quite happy for Americans to be taxed by whatever country they happen to live in, BUT they also want the US to get it's tax take as well.

US Citizens and Permanent Residents are privileged to pay tax to the US Federal government regardless of where they live or where they earn their money.

Regards,

John P

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 22:58, hayfield said:

II go to the post office to send my packets (eBay sales) simply as its easier than buying the postage on line and they ensure the correct postage is paid, for me its simply for both ease & efficiency. Using Royal Mail seems the most secure and cost effective method as a non business user

If you sign up for Click & Drop the postal charges are lower, all you need is a pc , printer, a set of digital scales and a tape measure.  The Royal Mail and Parcel Force web pages are easy to navigate and you can clearly see the options and costs.  Even complete a Customs document if need be.  The local drop off point will check the details too, just ensure that you use the correct Trade Code.

Less time spent being served, and save money.

• Agree 2

Twice I downloaded and printed Royal Mail postage labels, both times my local post office could not accept them, on the first label I tried a second post office who also failed to be able to accept it. Both times I drove to the Royal Mail office only to find both times it was closed.

I had to relabel both parcels and take then to the Post Office. The Royal Mail refunded me both times but when you take the cost in petrol and the amount of time it took it was a very expensive mistake to use them

The first time right at the start of the first lockdown I spoke with a Royal Mail employee who was most unhelpful unlike my postman. My post office is manned buy some very helpful ladies and well worth the slight increase in costs, if anything their advice saves me money. I chose to go to the Post Office at less busy times. Like many I put a value on service.

Plus I will keep as far away from Paclink as I can, after hearing of their responses to those who have issues with Hermes. Buyer beware !!! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jpendle said:

9503.00.00 ............... Toys, including riding toys o/than bicycles, puzzles, reduced scale models 

To me, the placing of the comma indicates that only bicycles are excluded.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, jpendle said:

Not really.

They are quite happy for Americans to be taxed by whatever country they happen to live in, BUT they also want the US to get it's tax take as well.

US Citizens and Permanent Residents are privileged to pay tax to the US Federal government regardless of where they live or where they earn their money.

Regards,

John P

You are mixing up companies and individual citizens! The two are not the same...

Yes the US does aggressively go after their citizens for tax even when they live abroad - but when it comes to business interests the moto is that US businesses abroad should not be paying any local taxation.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

My post office is manned buy some very helpful ladies and well worth the slight increase in costs, if anything their advice saves me money. I chose to go to the Post Office at less busy times. Like many I put a value on service.

Well said!

Money is not the be all and end all - good service is worth paying for and my postie + local post office staff are both helpful and efficient.

• Agree 5

45 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Well said!

Money is not the be all and end all - good service is worth paying for and my postie + local post office staff are both helpful and efficient.

Phil

I don't run a business, I also set my postage rates according to the service I will use, with each sale I state the minimum service I will use ( if I charge for 1st class recorded and the item ends up selling for far more than I expected I am happy to cover the difference in using special delivery, likewise the difference between 1st class and 1st class recorded), I always send 1st class its worth the few pence extra.

I like many more have learnt the cheapest method in the long term may end up the dearest !!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I use the click and drop because it is more convenient, cheaper (Upwards of 10p per parcel or 5p per letter size item) I have a post box right outside my door and my local Post Office only has the one counter and I seem to always be stuck behind either dithering old dears who take forever, someone posting their entire worldly belongings in lots of awkward boxes and hasn't a clue what they are doing or someone pratting about with blooming lottery tickets!!!

I also sell everything with Free Postage and strictly UK only now, far less hassle, nobody querying the postage costs, none of that sending stuff overseas nonsense and the resultant headaches that creates plus Ebay cannot scalp off their (in my opinion illegal) percentage of the postal charges.

• RMweb Gold
On 27/03/2021 at 22:58, hayfield said:

What escapes me is why people still use Hermes,

Horses for courses.  I've used them 3 times in last year.  They collect from the doorstep.  Less issues with weighty an/or bulky items than PO and Parcel Farce, and they were items where I was prepared to run the risk given the local man (and latterly local woman) have been very good at this end.

5 hours ago, hayfield said:

Twice I downloaded and printed Royal Mail postage labels, both times my local post office could not accept them, on the first label I tried a second post office who also failed to be able to accept it. Both times I drove to the Royal Mail office only to find both times it was closed.

I had to relabel both parcels and take then to the Post Office. The Royal Mail refunded me both times but when you take the cost in petrol and the amount of time it took it was a very expensive mistake to use them

The only time I had an issue, was on a Tracked Item - had to be taken to a Royal Mail depot rather than the local shop.

The post offices near to us are only ever open when I'm at work so that rather hurls a spanner into the works when trying to use one. I haven't been into one in years! So not something I'd miss though I'm sure they work for some people.

Edited by admiles

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, admiles said:

The post offices near to us are only ever open when I'm at work so that rather hurls a spanner into the works when trying to use one. I haven't been into one in years! So not something I'd miss though I'm sure they work for some people.

Very true - being a shift worker I can overlook such details

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, petethemole said:

To me, the placing of the comma indicates that only bicycles are excluded.

This is why you should use semi-colons to separate list items if you’re using commas with them. I agree that it’s only bicycles exempt, but only because scale models cannot be classified as rideable toys. Sure there are more ambiguous examples, and let’s not even start on Oxford commas!

13 hours ago, njee20 said:

This is why you should use semi-colons to separate list items if you’re using commas with them. I agree that it’s only bicycles exempt, but only because scale models cannot be classified as rideable toys. Sure there are more ambiguous examples, and let’s not even start on Oxford commas!

But scale models can be rideable toys. Look at 5” and especially 7 1/4” models image.jpeg.46f46e61f22e1b6ea75f018971b31749.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Graham1960 said:

Somebody will have to pay for COVID bill and it will not be the rich millionaires of the Tory Party. The high street shops can't pay for it anymore, Tesco and Asda won't either. With all the unemployment around workers themselves can not afford it, so the only places left to hit is Amazon and E-bay. Amazon especially as they advertise on TV alot! Mind you so do E-Bay!!

Afterall what have Amazon done during this crisis? Introduced safe shopping for everyone. Made it possible (at least for my family) to get our groceries, without asking relatives to risk themselves doing shopping for us. Aside from the fact they didn't always get what you wanted anyway!  

The big supermarkets were no help at all. Boris came on and told everyone to use the online service, probably without consulting the supermarkets first. Long standing Tesco customers, such as our family, who were using the delivery service before out of a need, where not given any priority. The government list was only small too. A few weeks ago a letter was sent to us saying we NOW qualified. Totally useless, as we already had everything in place thanks to Amazon Prime Delivery one day on food! 

To be quiet frank if the High Street in Sheffield relied on my family for many years now it would have been green fields now. Sheffield City centre is an ugly place and most of it is roads and stuff to cater for students - who are overqualified and a complete waste of money. Largely tax money.

And I am not going to list how much money they have wasted doing vaccination's - sending letters out, phone and booking systems to make "appointments". Hiring sport centres. Doctors would have told them the number of people who do not turn up for hospital and Doctor appointments even before COVID, was very high. So they used an appointment system!!  It's not like it was a walk in thing for a jab! It was a strict list. A nurse in a car (full PPE) could have done loads of people at home doing entire streets in a day! 

When you can waste money like that you know you're in a rich country.

I recommend listening to the Beatles - Taxman.   

Your best bet is to come back when you know what you're talking about rather than spouting sh1te. 

Wasting money doing vaccinations....are you for real, Doctors alone could not have done any of what has been achieved in this country.  

You carry on using Amazon, ordering via Luxembourg so that tax isn't raised on profits made here. And when there is no one left paying tax to fund your pension, you'll not be able to afford your Prime delivery. 

God save us from idiots.:banghead:

• Like 1
  • Agree 8