Question about motor output voltage from DCC chips

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with reviving a few older models that have ringfield motors using the motors from CD / DVD drives.  Results have been very good indeed, with very smooth, controllable operation and plenty of power.  I've got some multiple unit kits that I built years ago so this is a good way of markedly improving their performance without wholesale re-engineering.

Many of these motors are designed for 9v or even 6v - so for use under plain DC I added a suitable resistor.   

My question is this - when a DCC chip is controlling a motor's speed, does it do so by varying the output voltage, or does it always supply nominally 12v but 'chopped' into a part-wave?  Or are there chips of either type?

I'm thinking that in the former case I can probably adjust CV settings so that the maximum voltage supplied is 6v or 9v as appropriate - but in the latter case I'd probably still need to add a resistor.

Thanks and best regards

Stuart

In just about all cases, the decoder will be outputting full voltage, but using the PWM cycles to reduce the average voltage.  There are multiple settings which produce the PWM cycle seen, both CV settings, and the throttle speed sent to the decoder.   The PWM will be at high frequency, typically above 10kHz, and optionally up to 40kHz in some decoders. 

For an iron cored motor, this will be seen as an average voltage.   For a very low inertia motor, this might produce a problem with constant changes in speed as the duty cycle goes on/off. 
However, experience of small low-voltage coreless motors used by 2mm scratchbuilders for many decades with high frequency PWM control in both DC and DCC suggests its not a real issue.   I'm aware of 2mm finescale models with nominally 3v motors running for extended periods without issue on nominally 12v DC controllers, and some of my own models have nominally 8v motors, run originally on DC and latterly on DCC without issue. 

So, my expectation is that it is not an issue, just adjust the decoder settings.   Decoders such as Zimo which have an independent "voltage" setting means you're not restricting the speed steps available which can happen if just using CV2+CV5 to control the "start" and "max" volts.  

- Nigel

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Standard DCC motor output is 0 to12v Dc PWM

Cv5 can be used on many decoders to limit V- max, but needs Cv6 to be adjusted to match - V-mid.

Edit - diode packs can be used to knock down the output voltage to suit the motor voltage.

Edited by RAF96

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Thank you for your help with this.  In the end I tried some Zimo MX600R decoders, with CV57 adjusted appropriately.  CV57 needs to be set to 10x the required max voltage - so for a 6 volt motor, CV57 = 60.   The results have been astonishingly good - slow speed running is amazing and it's hard to believe that it's just a standard Hornby or Lima 'pancake' drive chain, fitted with a new motor costing around £1.50.   This has certainly removed the need to re-engineer all the multiple unit kits I built in the 1980s / 90s.

Best regards

Stuart

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It might work as long as the thickness isn't too great.

I notice in the spec that at 12v it turns at 14195rpm, so that would make for an extremely fast running locomotive.   The two types of 6v motor I've used so far have top speeds of 5,500rpm and 8,100rpm, and fitted into a Hornby ringfield I estimate their scale top speeds to be around 80mph / 120mph.  So it's possible that this 12v motor would produce a top speed in the 200mph range; although of course in DCC the top speed could be limited.

Stuart