Changing identity of Drummond 700 loco

I have a Hornby Drummond 700 Class. It runs really well on my shunting layout. It's currently in early BR livery (lion/wheel emblem), numbered 30316. It's also been very nicely (but lightly) weathered by Hornby.

I'm thinking of backdating it to LSWR if I can get up the courage. I think the correct number would be 450 and that the loco would still be black (not bright green). Could anyone please confirm if this is correct? And, if I were to purchase transfers, I suspect Fox would be one of the best sources?

Thanks in advance.

The 700 class were fitted with superheaters  from 1920 onwards. This is the form of the locomotive modelled by Hornby with the extended smoke box, so only a few were in this form while in LSWR livery. Also the Goods engine livery was dark green with black and light green lining.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The renumbering is a bit confusing, but 30316 entered traffic in 1897 as 716. The following year it (along with a number others) were renumbered to 459. 459 was then renumbered to 316 in 1912. 

And as Tony has said, the LSWR goods livery at this time was dark green with red/green lining. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnR said:

The renumbering is a bit confusing, but 30316 entered traffic in 1897 as 716. The following year it (along with a number others) were renumbered to 459. 459 was then renumbered to 316 in 1912. 

And as Tony has said, the LSWR goods livery at this time was dark green with red/green lining. 

Thanks -- this is helpful!  

• RMweb Gold

316 was actually superheated by the LSWR in December 1920, so it will be authentic to repaint it in LSWR livery.  Whether that was still lined-out dark green at this time so soon after WW1 I don't know.  Details from "Locomotives Illustrated"  number 64 (Pre-Grouping Southern 0-6-0s). 

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RFS said:

316 was actually superheated by the LSWR in December 1920, so it will be authentic to repaint it in LSWR livery.  Whether that was still lined-out dark green at this time so soon after WW1 I don't know.  Details from "Locomotives Illustrated"  number 64 (Pre-Grouping Southern 0-6-0s). 

Thanks. I'm still tempted to do this but my model has been so nicely weathered in BR black, that it makes me a little reluctant.

How difficult would it be to remove its loco body & tender body, and what spray paint would be most recommended?

TIA, Rob

Edited by GreenDiesel

3 hours ago, Nile said:

Backdating and repainting LSWR 700 no.316 -

Have been just checking this -- this is EXACTLY what I want to do, same loco even. Thanks for posting this. So I guess I'm not crazy contemplating this!