Chook Lane - 2021 Cakebox Challenge

idd15

OK, so having not completed a previous challenge I thought I'd hold off entering until I was pretty certain that I'd finish this one. To ensure I will finish, Chook Lane is very simple in concept. Basically a cottage located on a small lane with an adjoining grounded van used as a chicken coop. It is I suppose only my second serious go at doing a proper bit of scenic work so is very much a learning exercise.

The cottage is the freebee Metcalfe kit from BRM that has been enhanced with a Scalescenes slate roof, flashing, gutters and drainpipes from plastic strip and wire. The grounded van is another freebee kit from RM (there's a trend going on here!) with a couple of chicken sized holes in it for the chooks to get access. 

For the recycled materials; the base is 2mm MDF from an old picture frame that was miraculously exactly 8 inches square! The cottage gates are cut from a cereal packet.  The five bar gate is an old Airfix lineside fencing item and was rescued from a box of old odds and ends found in the loft of the ancestral family home. I think it dates from my first trainset and must be about 50 years old, so makes me feel a bit vintage!

I was a bit stuck for the second railway item for my scene, then realised that a Network Rail vehicle in the lane would meet the requirement. Bit easy perhaps, but hey rules are there to be interpreted! The picture shows where I'm at with the first pass of the scenic elements:

idd

IMG_0443 Feb14.JPG

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks to all for the encouraging posts.

I was a little disappointed at how flat and boring the grass on the verges and in the field looked having just used some different colours of blended turf. So decided to have a go at using static grass and purchased the Gaugemaster/Noch puffer bottle starter set with another packet of darker green 2mm grass. 

I will admit that I was somewhat sceptical that something as simple as a plastic puffer bottle would work, however I've been really chuffed with the results! The 3D effect of the fibres have really lifted the whole scene, which is probably not quite so apparent in the new photos. What I also found interesting is that you can effectively "paint" with the fibres to have more of the darker turf show through by applying fewer fibres. Thus creating  different shades and heights in the grass and making for a far more realistic ground cover.  

You'll notice I've kept the verge in front of the cottage the same as the garden lawn so that it has a kept appearance. The reason being I had an idea to use a bit more recycled material in the scene. More anon! :D

idd

IMG_0464 Feb21 M.JPG

IMG_0462 Feb21 M.JPG

• Like 6

So some final detailing to complete the scene as kind of envisaged when I started.  To add further interest to the lane I decided to make the verge in front of the cottage a "kept area" as part of the garden. It is not unusual to see rocks or posts marking out these areas placed by whoever is keeping the verge to discourage parking. Originally I was going to use some chopped up sprue as rocks (more recycling) however the "rocks" still looked like bits of plastic.

I was cleaning a pair of shoes and noticed there were some OO sized rocks caught in the sole. So they were carefully dug out, washed and placed on the scene. Initially I didn't have quite enough, but after a few daily lockdown walks in these particular shoes my supply of landscaped rocks had grown considerably! The rocks were painted white and stuck down to preserve the verge.

The figures have been added using Tacky Wax, which I have been very pleased with, into positions to give a bit of a story. The Landy is parked (not on the verge obviously) and the driver and cottage owner have a socially distanced chat over the garden gate. With the family dog and a curious chicken watching on.

That's about it really. I've enjoyed putting this little scene together and have been surprised just how much time just 64 square inches of space can absorb! Is it really the end though? I kind of feel it needs a tree, perhaps some garden flowers, a backscene, a TV aerial for the cottage and the list goes on...:D

Thanks for looking and the kind comments again.

Cheers

idd

PXL_20210226_104659037.jpg

PXL_20210226_104724750.jpg

PXL_20210226_104752549.jpg

PXL_20210226_104814146.jpg

IMG_0466 (2).JPG

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

5 hours ago, Wrenn said:

Hi idd I like how you have used the box van for a chicken coupe. The hens are a nice touch along with the ivy growing up the side of the house. :)

Thanks, in many ways it’s sad to see so many of these grounded vans as just wrecks these days. But not surprising I suppose given how long ago so many were taken out of service. I think I found only one or two pictures of vans in reasonable condition when I was googling for inspiration.

In stark contrast when on holiday a couple of years ago in SW Wales we found quite a number of grounded coaches that had been turned into very smart holiday homes. 

The BRM cottage is I think a really nice kit from Metcalfe. The only “weakness” in the design is the join you get between the ground floor extension can be a little too obvious despite the accuracy of the exemplary die cutting of the card. But a little greenery up the wall and it’s easily hidden. :D

Cheers

idd

• Craftsmanship/clever 1