Little things - for the layout outside the railway fence

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

There's some L&NWR boundary posts by the canal near where we live, they're a quarter of a mile from the railway line though, it's reminded me to get a photograph.

The L&NWR Society is starting a project to catalogue all surviving LNWR artefacts, so they should welcome any information, including location data. Contact chairman@lnwrs.org.uk.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I have replaced my photos up to about the end of October 2021. However, I now realise that I had got lazy and not sorted and renamed them before posting so I am having great difficulty finding the later ones. I'll try to find some of them over the coming weeks, though I suspect that I didn't save the Google Street View images after I had posted them.

And thanks to several others who have also replaced their photos.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

tollhouse.jpg.df77a17eae54adf67a4f4bdb02b51551.jpg

Tollhouse on the outskirts of Great Missenden. 

It wouldn't take much to convert the Wills Crossing-Keepers Cottage to a reasonable facsimile of this.

horsetrough.jpg.9972e3f396ba81d0b56d16347f119f55.jpg

A quarter of a mile-ish beyond the tollhouse in the Wendover direction, this flower tub outside the Black Horse pub looks to have begun life as a blacksmith-built cattle or horse trough.  The low sun made photographing it difficult but it is very solidly made.

A good project for anyone who's got a recently-acquired rivet-punch they want to get used to using!

gate.jpg.d38c9e70a10f3657b056a7cdabbbaaf4.jpg

This old iron gate is in very good condition.  Measures approx 4'x10'.

I soldered up a simplified version of something like this from scrap etch a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised at just how easy it was.

post.jpg.b0e558e6b2170e044fc72a4b6f87ead5.jpg

I'll try turning something like this up in the drill for the post of the next gate I build.

• Like 6

Some little details for a model of a pre-16th Century church - graffiti on the door jamb.  Would be considered vandalism today, but was apparently common practice in Medieval times.  These were seen on St Mary's church, Ampney St Mary, but they can be found on many old churches that have not had the stonework heavily restored.

1139898126_GraffittionStMaryschurchdoorjambP1010590.JPG.4db545d8387d787a78cd853c9ed8146c.JPG

1280076928_GraffittionStMaryschurchdoorjambP1010597.JPG.199c87ac5562b5c69f0d5f9f34177e7b.JPG

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Were they sometimes identification marks for the stone mason?

Jonathan

Apparently, whilst some were Masons marks, most are not and the ones illustrated are unlikely to be.  Their precise purpose is not known with certainty and there were probably many different reasons for them - see Medieval Graffiti by M. Champion for a discussion of the many different types and possible meanings. (I bought a copy of this book on a visit to Hales Abbey a year ago and now look out for them when ever I visit an old church.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 16:55, mike morley said:

2119861701_abermulenewtown005.JPG.464e019a6bd0eae95a70f3bb9f9f19e9.JPG

I'm slightly puzzledby this as it appears to be in too good condition to be an original, but I cannot imagine the Canal and Rivers Trust or the British Waterways Board before them bothering with replicas.  Just in case it is an original, I won't make any souvenir hunters life easy by identifying its location, other than to say it's nearer the Severn than the canal.

The latest edition of "Navvies" (the Waterway Recovery Group magazine) has a mention of a mile post being put back on the Montgomery Canal, it having been restored by volunteers.  I wonder if the above sign has benefited in the same way.

Adrian

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1