Little things - for the layout outside the railway fence

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Interesting that there seems to be another lintel in the other wall, presumably a blocked up window or door but not obvious from the stonework.

And if the fields round here had stone stiles like the one shown the lambs would have been down at the children's playground by now,

Jonathan

The higher lintel probably comes from when the opening was larger. This engine house was refitted on several occasions I believe. 

• Like 2

There's so much to see I've realised since this thread opened.

This, is what I thought was yet another village cottage before i actually looked at it. Then I noticed:

1. It's actually two cottages modified into one. Note the bricked up door on the far left.

2. The corner bricks are totally different, presumably to accommodate those windows that certainly aren't original.

3. The brick wall sealing off the gap to the next door building. (I wonder if that cut off anyone's access?) The bricks are the same as the 'new' corner.

4. Half a new roof, just the added cottage.

Will keep on looking...

steve

IMG_1878.JPG

Edited by steve1
To add the flippin' photo!
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, steve1 said:

This, is what I thought was yet another village cottage before i actually looked at it. Then I noticed:

1. It's actually two cottages modified into one. Note the bricked up door on the far left.

2. The corner bricks are totally different, presumably to accommodate those windows that certainly aren't original.

3. The brick wall sealing off the gap to the next door building. (I wonder if that cut off anyone's access?) The bricks are the same as the 'new' corner.

Will keep on looking...

steve

Mornin' Steve, should there be a photo attached to this post, or are you referring to a previous post, just wondering. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It's Monday again

As threatened, a look at farm gates this time.

First one of the few wooden gates still in use in the area. Little changed for the last century I suspect. Sorry it’s open. I haven’t been back with a camera since.

1452567949_Littlethings18-1.JPG.3d1b2526470dc8a05bdebbc406d04023.JPG

The oldest metal gates seem to be made entirely of angle iron, though there is quite a bit of variety in the details.

594777517_Littlethings18-2.JPG.e6fd8ccbbcd61f6fca80f8e2e62139da.JPG

More modern ones are often a mix of metal tube and strip. Sometimes there is a vertical metal strip either side of the tubes to form the verticals. Some have mesh near the bottom to deter escape attempts by lambs (or calves, or are they better behaved?). This one is interesting as it seems to be a mix of materials.

And not used recently either.

184792917_Littlethings18-3.JPG.3d8c7aff6cbcd6c0f2d058981bd887d5.JPG

Others have the bottom rails closer together, also to deter escapes.

121774420_Littlethings18-4.JPG.7dfd6d721425930f0182f9305ba6ecf7.JPG

Some have diagonal bracing, sometimes just one diagonal cross, though I don’t seem to have photographed one; and sometimes as two diagonal crosses, as here, and both sides of the gate

1157539179_Littlethings18-5.JPG.f355455b127eebd1bd3dd47ca92cb88d.JPG

Alternatively you can have diagonal stays of angle iron.

163459656_Littlethings18-6.JPG.0997cbe2f012a7ac205734a2b02f1dc3.JPG

Sometimes the stays are like the above, but sometimes one is for no apparent reason the other way around. So no worry if you make a mistake. Another gate which doesn’t get much use.

233950840_Littlethings18-7.JPG.fb7b46749edddbd4d6a0f632e0d3ba0c.JPG

And if you fancy something a bit more fancy how about these two?

255275812_Littlethings18-8.JPG.895a39da3268ed67bd163713169d3d53.JPG

And of course if making the hinges is a problem just use baler twine (and there is no need for the hinges on the gate to be on the same side as the other parts on the post!) or simply lean the gate against the adjacent hedge.

So obviously there is no excuse for having two identical gates on a layout.

And of course no problem if the gate gets a bit bent. Quite authentic as most of those I have photographed seem to have had an encounter with some farm machinery.

I think next Monday will be a bit random.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

20 minutes ago, iands said:

Mornin' Steve, should there be a photo attached to this post, or are you referring to a previous post, just wondering. 

Now sorted! 

Thanks Ian.

steve

• Like 4

On 28/06/2021 at 12:04, steve1 said:

Now sorted! 

Thanks Ian.

steve

That's an interesting photograph for another reason. The house on the left of the picture, is late Georgian, the conjoined cottages are late Victorian. Note the different proportions, roof angles etc, but particularly the brickwork. The house on the left has slim, hand made clamp bricks (the size varies per era right back to the Romans.) whereas the Victorian cottages are built from machine made imperial bricks that are slightly larger (a heck of a lot heavier, harder and often contain iron slag.) than modern bricks.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 27/06/2021 at 16:38, MrWolf said:

That looks like a stack of old wrought iron sheep hurdles next to the arch which would have been used to funnel the animals into the sheepwash.

Quite likely, but only the latest generation of hurdles, originals when the bridge was built would have been wooden. They were also used to stop the little critters wandering through the arch into the field on the other side of the road.

Bridge is known as Sheep Bridge by the way, though whether that reflects its usage, I don't know!

Edited by eastglosmog
Typo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see that someone has mentioned sign posts.

I came across this one back in 2017.  The roundel on the top gives the county, location and national grid reference, with the finger posts giving the usual directions and distances.  Cowgill is a the bottom of the (long) hill from Dent Station.  The wall/fence combination may also be of interest.  The wooden structure to the left of the post is a notice board ("Local Transport Information").

Cow_Gill.JPG.f8ab7fd2bb76bb2e98c53fb49b14e7ad.JPG

Adrian

Edited by figworthy
Replace picture
  • Like 10

A few Cotswold gates, the drystone walls are also worth a look.

A wooden gate with quadruple diagonals, beginning to look a bit weather worn, but has a good few years life yet:

P1210795.JPG.1d081232b896c276f2413207a62ff988.JPG

A double diagonal steel gate, getting a bit rusty and bent:

P1210805.JPG.ee25a6b43238fd0a2067856109ee7a32.JPG

Another wooden gate, showing what a bored horse can do:

P1210831.JPG.5ca2cfe4a772db72ebff4eb3b401fe91.JPG

Finally a wooden gate that has seen better days.  Doesn't look like it has been shut for some time and its main use is to request dog owners to keep their dogs on leads.

P1210832.JPG.8e62187743a286e4ccbb6d8f281da62b.JPG

• Like 9

10 hours ago, steve1 said:

Will keep on looking...

steve

I don't think this is two cottages converted into one-note that the door in the adjacent wall has a number on it (no letterbox, though).. It seems more likely that the door on the emd house has just been blocked up to make more room in the front room. The adjacent property is a different colour and has its own number plaque. The difference in brickwork on the corner may be a result of using better quality bricks on the frontage. The single down-pipe certainly has its work cut out if it is the sole outlet for the front and rear gutters from the whole block!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 hours ago, J25 said:

I don't think this is two cottages converted into one-note that the door in the adjacent wall has a number on it (no letterbox, though).. It seems more likely that the door on the emd house has just been blocked up to make more room in the front room. The adjacent property is a different colour and has its own number plaque. The difference in brickwork on the corner may be a result of using better quality bricks on the frontage. The single down-pipe certainly has its work cut out if it is the sole outlet for the front and rear gutters from the whole block!

And I think you are right and I wasn't looking closely enough.

steve :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, corneliuslundie said:

As I'm constantly finding on our daily walks, the more you look the more you see that you never noticed when passing 50 times before.

Jonathan

Agreed - I spotted one the other day, which I need to go back to with a camera - the end wall of a Victorian terrace just outside Thorneycrofts with rectangular 'ghost' marks where it must have had enamel advertisements attached.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Little things 19

Random, as promised. A little late as we had family for therweekend.

First a couple of little plastic “bollards” which mark a roadside drain where it passes in a culvert under a field entrance. Oddly, there is no marking of the other end of the culvert. This photo was taken some time ago and they are now almost invisible in the long grass.

262080271_Littlethings19-1.JPG.8d9fae47d74358da30c2f72995bba1cb.JPG

A waymarker for a public footpath in the middle of a field. Rather oddly, it is much higher up the field than one would normally walk between the gates each end; perhaps to make it more visible in a very sloping field.

295959186_Littlethings19-2.JPG.98a4c1d0542f1bfe3ed5eb2eb542b060.JPG

And two views of a rather nice building opposite the house called Neuadd Hendidley (presumably originally the farmhouse for “Noyadd Hendidley” farm, to quote the OS map. Not sure what it is currently used for. Outside the house itself there is a token beehive to recognise that the house is on Beehive Lane – but now for letters rather than honey.

1057961172_Littlethings19-3.JPG.6406cf2d6ac68ee9da206081add0c72c.JPG

Opposite the grounded vans at the farm itself is this rather nice old barn, gradually decaying, but with an interesting outside staircase.

We shall be back at the farm next time.

1560985894_Littlethings19-4.JPG.ff5132dbc5838b8a90dce726c04d5fe2.JPG

1555954121_Littlethings19-5.JPG.a4dfdd8348c85d2a05b1664cc0dbfd8b.JPG

Finally, just by the side of the lane lower down is this area which is evidently rather wet; but protected by the three logs so not too many drivers explore it accidentally.

1946426537_Littlethings19-6.JPG.6c49df5183c41942edf07936e7daae9b.JPG

Jonathan

typos
  • Like 11

When we were on holiday visiting Dartmoor I did take some photos of smaller things than Haytor.

Afterwards we walked around Widecombe, and I took a few photos.

IMG_9283.JPG.b3e2aab3d7088a125c4b62584e9a4b2b.JPG

Village sign Widecombe 19/5/2021

IMG_9277.JPG.8ca7185787254429134af1942fe65496.JPG

This old pigsty has been refurbished and contains a small heritage display about life in the village. The granite pillar on the left was formerly a gate post. Widecombe 19/5/2021

IMG_9276.JPG.d4d708852432fbd9c6ed1bc5f4655b67.JPG

Close by is this spring, Widecombe 19/5/2021

cheers

• Like 10

Not going to wade back through 14 pages to see if it has been mentioned.

At exhibitions Langley have an odds and ends tray. Always worth a look through for things like field gates, lawn mowers, engine blocks and other paraphernalia that is laying around in farmyard, outside garages and workshops and other places.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. All we need now is exhibitions so we can look for these useful things.

I have lots of odds and ends stashed away from 60 years of modelling, Perhaps I should look through them from time to time. I suspect many of have such stashes.

And of course often all one needs is some plastic sheet or even balsa and a sharp knife.

Something I have left over from a previous project is some sheets of 4 mm corrugated iron - actually aluminium. Already used for a shed roof. It is American (so technically HO) but obtained for me by a local modelling shop. I can see some more corrugated iron structures appearing on Nantcwmdu. I must keep an eye open for prototypes.

Jonathan

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, corneliuslundie said:

Thanks. All we need now is exhibitions so we can look for these useful things.

I have lots of odds and ends stashed away from 60 years of modelling, Perhaps I should look through them from time to time. I suspect many of have such stashes.

And of course often all one needs is some plastic sheet or even balsa and a sharp knife.

Something I have left over from a previous project is some sheets of 4 mm corrugated iron - actually aluminium. Already used for a shed roof. It is American (so technically HO) but obtained for me by a local modelling shop. I can see some more corrugated iron structures appearing on Nantcwmdu. I must keep an eye open for prototypes.

Jonathan

Have a look at - The shed thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A return visit to Noyadd Hendidley farm today. Any respectable farm has an old piece of farm machinery mouldering in the long grass behind the barn. However, I wonder if this farmer started a collection of historic farm equipment and then lost enthusiasm.

First what I think is a machine for sowing seed, though others may well correct me – or is it for spreading manure?

1039190739_Littlethings20-1.JPG.e1006cc624bec736d51b4aa22d445a64.JPG

Next what looks rather like a form of rotary lawnmower, though presumably for cutting or turning hay – a common activity hereabouts in the early summer.

107011673_Littlethings20-2.JPG.59a2bfdb0a6d2c7d2c42424573f9a855.JPG

Finally, two mobile feeding troughs – these are common around the fields for the sheep to use. You should hear the noise when they see the farmer coming. But also in this photo is an elevator of the kind once used to get sheaves of corn to the top of the haystack.

457983363_Littlethings20-3.JPG.10af945ee1f3f1121983057a17834556.JPG

I am not sure about next week. I am more or less confined to barracks this week pending a hospital visit next Monday, so shall have to see what is in the “not yet used” folders.

Jonathan

• Like 3

A few village pumps from around the Cotswolds, where us yokels used to go for the gossip before the internet:

Shilton

1481078476_ShiltonIMG_4752.jpg.51111c81715c8a0794fa6b24115025dc.jpg

Little Barrington

1717896088_LittleBarringtonP1210721.JPG.d68966ebf9d484ea4b1ba3abed42cf17.JPG

Guiting Power

1352831057_GuitingPowerP1210559.JPG.05eb8a406b92b011483022c560dec633.JPG

Edited by eastglosmog
Restore photos
  • Like 9