Double track crossover with Peco EM points

I've bought two Peco EM gauge points with the intention of using them together to create a crossover, however I now realize that without surgery they will create a wider than prototypical  scale 6 foot between the two lines. Before I embark on chopping up my new purchases I just wondered if anyone else has gone through this and has any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...

I think I remember this being done with Peco 00 gauge turnouts, the principal will be much the same.

You could look at Templot, With the turnout being a B6 it should be easy to make a facing or trailing crossover with the desired 6' way, the main trouble is that to get the exact 6'way you will have to alter the timber spacing after the nose timber or increase the 6' way by appx a scale 4" to align the timber spacing (to make life easier) secondly as well as having to splice the turnouts together 3 timbers will need extending each side. The biggest issue is to hide the timber joins, which to be invisible could be under a rail hidden by a chair. The next issue is to find a glue which will bond the Peco track base

I have just taken delivery of a Finetrax EM gauge B7 kit, these are very simple to build EM gauge kits and you will find you could easily splice 2 bases together as they react with either Mek Pak or Butanone and will be a very easy conversion, you may need some extra Timber strip and a few C&L or Exactoscale timbers

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks John,

I will also be releasing dedicated crossover kits at scale 6' way and proper shared timbers. The crossover kits will be slightly cheaper than 2 standard turnout kits.

Butanone does not dissolve the 3D printed base material. In fact, I soak the entire 3D printed base in butanone after printing to clean it :)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks John,

I will also be releasing dedicated crossover kits at scale 6' way and proper shared timbers. The crossover kits will be slightly cheaper than 2 standard turnout kits.

Butanone does not dissolve the 3D printed base material. In fact, I soak the entire 3D printed base in butanone after printing to clean it :)

Wayne 

Thanks for correcting me Mec Pak does, as I stuck a chair on the wide spacer as a test and its still rock solid.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Wayne Kinney said:

Thanks John,

I would imagine it's sticking because of the chair dissolving only, not the 3D printed base dissolving.

A bit like plastic chairs do to ply timbers and sleepers ?

Good news on the crossovers

Edit

I got a scalpel blade under the chair and it comes away, still for modelling purposes it was good, industrial strength superglue might be better 

Edited by hayfield
  • Agree 2

• 1 month later...

Here's some shots of my attempt, it seems to work ok so far. I've tested butanone on some offcuts so will use this to weld the sleepers in the final assembly, then probably add a little filler if needed. The resulting "6 foot" is actually something like 28mm but it looks ok to be and seems to give adequate clearance.

IMG_20210304_134835081.jpg

IMG_20210304_150925577.jpg

• Like 3

Don’t forget that the 6 feet was a minimum. The spacing could be greater (sidings were 10ft as I recall) to allow for infrastructure that might otherwise foul the loading gauge on the ‘standard’ spacing eg signal posts etc. So it depends on what your crossover is for...and what’s surrounding it...

Duncan 

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2021 at 11:26, Wayne Kinney said:

Thank you for the heads up, that's saved me time, effort, swearing, and, most importantly to a Yorkshireman, money!

I await with bated breath.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1