Hornby socks anyone?

Phil Parker

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Please say this is an early April Fools. Why would Hornby even consider throwing money away on this again. After the fiasco with the Olympic range. 

I think you'll find the idea is someone hands Hornby a pile of cash to be able to stick their name on something. JCB don't make hand tools, but they licenced their name on them for example. Ferrari appears on loads of tat that they don't produce. The skill is only to allow licences that don't harm you brand. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

They want to learn from KISS (the Rock band). It's very little to do with the music, it's the merchandise deals.

They sell everything you can imagine from ordinary things like band T shirts to adult toys to pinball machines and even coffins.

https://www.everythingkiss.com/funeral.html

They even sell branded trains.

spacer.png

https://www.everythingkiss.com/store/p277/ROCK’N’ROLL_EXPRESS_TRAIN_COLLECTION_.html

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I think you'll find the idea is someone hands Hornby a pile of cash to be able to stick their name on something. JCB don't make hand tools, but they licenced their name on them for example. Ferrari appears on loads of tat that they don't produce. The skill is only to allow licences that don't harm you brand. 

Somebody at JCB isn't following this up then, my one and only, and last, purchase of of one of their branded hand tools would put me off buying a digger were I in that market.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Airfix went down this route last year and licenced a company to produce biscuit tins etc with images of box top art work on them. For many years you have been able to get Airfix jigsaws, playing cards etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

This idea has disaster written all over it 

I wouldn’t buy and Hornby branded anything. The socks would be odd ones . And who would want a premium watch with Hornby on ? I’ll stick to Rolex and apple for watches.

stick to the core product there’s plenty to do there with things like Quality control and getting items out to shops not too mention the BR green and the relationships with some retailers to repair 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Monkey28 said:

This idea has disaster written all over it 

I wouldn’t buy and Hornby branded anything. The socks would be odd ones . And who would want a premium watch with Hornby on ? I’ll stick to Rolex and apple for watches.

stick to the core product there’s plenty to do there with things like Quality control and getting items out to shops not too mention the BR green and the relationships with some retailers to repair 

You might not, but plenty of others would!

Just look at how quickly those Centenary items like mugs and pens sold. If you can get quality items into high street retailers then there is a market.

None of this will affect Hornby. That's why they are outsourcing it. Also worth bearing in mind that Hornby have other brands such as Airfix and Scalextric.

It's the present for dad and grandad market you are looking at. Things like this.

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/43511/Airfix-Mug

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seeing how many Hornby mugs come up on a Google search they obviously do sell so makes sense that Hornby make something out of the licensing of their brands. 

Andi

• Like 2