Bachmann 38-425 - poor runners

When they were released over 6 years ago I purchased 8 of Bachmann 38-425 Bulk Grain Bogie Hopper Wagon - VTG Weathered

Now I have a layout to run these wagons they are all poor runners - they won't run away on a down gradient

I have checked three of them and the wheels seem to be in gauge and when held upside down to spin the wheels they don't spin too freely

I don't know what is causing the problem - axles too tight?

Anyone else had this problem with this model or one of the similar ones?

Thanks

Peter

My usual initial action when faced with rolling stock wheels which won't quite roll is to simply grip the bogie or underframe between finger and thumb across the axleboxes and give it a squeeze. Sometimes it requires a good squeeze, possibly involving both hands for extra pressure if it's particularly stubborn! This usually does the trick by using the axle's own pinpoints to deepen the bearings a little. Just be wary of any surrounding detail like brake handles/wheels, footsteps etc which may be too close to the action for comfort.......

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

18 hours ago, Peter749 said:

When they were released over 6 years ago I purchased 8 of Bachmann 38-425 Bulk Grain Bogie Hopper Wagon - VTG Weathered

Now I have a layout to run these wagons they are all poor runners - they won't run away on a down gradient

I have checked three of them and the wheels seem to be in gauge and when held upside down to spin the wheels they don't spin too freely

I don't know what is causing the problem - axles too tight?

Anyone else had this problem with this model or one of the similar ones?

Thanks

Peter

Take the axles out and put some Graphic Powder (Kadee Greas-em) on the axle pinpoints and some in the bogie recesses, that should help.

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, tractor_37260 said:

Take the axles out and put some Graphic Powder (Kadee Greas-em) on the axle pinpoints and some in the bogie recesses, that should help.

Graphite powder is a bit messy. I find an HB or softer pencil will usually do the job, but check the quality of the pin-points on the axle. A twist of a small drill in a pin vice often works wth the more stubborn cases. Failing that, fitting proper brass bearings is the solution.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1