Hornby spare parts department

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone else had problems with Hornby spare parts department as I’ve had to email them twice and I’ve never received a reply, even after a month.  I appreciate that they have staff working from home but apart from “ticket” email by return, I’ve not heard anything.

I don’t really want to call Hornby but am I wrong in expecting a reply after a reasonable amount of time.

I am looking to buy two packs of R7200 Small Couplings, these are simulated screw couplings.  Price on the UK Hornby site is £5.10 each pack (4 couplings), but shipping to the US is an outrageous £30......!

3 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

I am looking to buy two packs of R7200 Small Couplings, these are simulated screw couplings.  Price on the UK Hornby site is £5.10 each pack (4 couplings), but shipping to the US is an outrageous £30......!

Try these:

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/rolling-stock-accessories/Hornby-r7200-small-coupling-assembly-pack-4/

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m after two sets of the recent Hornby B4 bogies with NEM pockets and it would be great if Hornby would reply, even if to say that there not available at present.

4 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Kernow Model Rail Centre have 8 packs in stock at £5.50 each.

Oddly enough I ordered 4 packs from them not long after they were released and as I type this I've just fitted one pair to a Bachmann Class 42 Warship and when I've finished my cup of tea I'll be off to fit another pair to another Warship! :)

Edited by Neil Phillips
Added a word for clarity!
  • Like 1

Neil, you evidently think they are ok!  I want to use them on the ex-Ratio (now Peco Parkside) GWR 4-wheel coaches, more for static display but presumably they can be used functionally.

I realize I can buy them a little cheaper for delivery in the US from a few other suppliers in the UK (ie Gaugemaster) but I was somewhat staggered by Hornby's shipping price.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Neil, you evidently think they are ok!  I want to use them on the ex-Ratio (now Peco Parkside) GWR 4-wheel coaches, more for static display but presumably they can be used functionally.

I realize I can buy them a little cheaper for delivery in the US from a few other suppliers in the UK (ie Gaugemaster) but I was somewhat staggered by Hornby's shipping price.

Yes Jeff, I'm using them for cosmetic purposes on locos which I hope to use on a diesel depot layout, so I'm fitting all the end 'plumbing'. They look considerably better than the moulded 'folded-up' items Heljan provided with their Westerns, Hymeks and Brush Type 4s and the chunky plastic moulded shackles the older Bachmann Warships came with. I was quite impressed to discover the Hornby hooks are metal too. However I think the hooks are too small and the whole thing too stiff to use functionally as supplied, although perhaps the links could be 'freed up' with a bit of wiggling about, so to speak!

Second Warship duly completed, plumbing n all. Next up, two Heljan Brush 4s I think, including XP64 blue D1733 - the only model I own which was afflicted by the dreaded Mazak Rot.......it's better now, thankfully!

18 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Shipping should be a lot less from British Model Trains in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada.

https://britishmodeltrains.ca/products/r7200-Hornby-articulated-coupler-4-per-pack?_pos=1&_sid=006ad9567&_ss=r

They also stock many Hornby spare parts and do repairs.

Steve

Canada

Edited by Retro_man
Additional information added
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m after a drawbar pick up for a Hornby BoB which is out of stock at Peter’s Spares and presumably Hornby too. I was rather alarmed to see that the latter will charge £5 for postage if they do ever get it in stock! 

• RMweb Premium

I think flat rate postage and packing charges, generally regardless of size weight or cost of items is now commonplace and just something we have to contend with. I recently had an order with Peter's spares and the postage, £4 or £5, I can't recall, was the most expensive item on the invoice. I'm not complaining, I added items which may come in handy in future to the item I currently needed, so hopefully have saved myself some future expense and I got very prompt service.

Some dealers do of course provide free P&P if purchase price is above a given amount, typically £20 or £50, but in the case of spares, when available, that is not usually the case.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053
addition of sentence
  • Like 1