Methfix Transfers

I've fixed a fair few HMRS Methfix Transfers over the years successfully but today I can't get them to release from the thin tissue and stick to the job, or anything.  I also tried them on a piece of plasticard painted with a  with a nice glossy finish. 

I've had this sheet a while and it's been stored without its protective cover so I'm wondering if these transfers time expire, dry out over time or some such issue.  Mainly though, can they be re-vitalised?     

Any advice appreciated (yes I followed the instructions accurately).

Cheers ... Alan

Provided they aren't covered in fluff they can be refreshed by brushing over with decal emulsion (Microscale Liquid Decal Film or similar) after which they will behave like Pressfix decals. Alternatively, it they can still be used as Methfix but they won't stick dry, let the tissue float off and the adjust the position before pressing gently into place with a cotton bud etc. You will have to rescue them from the cotton bud occasionally, but one they've dried out they can be sealed with varnish* to make them stay put. I find the second method a major faff and only use it if that sheet has the only remaining decal of that type on it !

*Not Kleer - meths fogs it. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Provided they aren't covered in fluff they can be refreshed by brushing over with decal emulsion (Microscale Liquid Decal Film or similar) after which they will behave like Pressfix decals. Alternatively, it they can still be used as Methfix but they won't stick dry, let the tissue float off and the adjust the position before pressing gently into place with a cotton bud etc. You will have to rescue them from the cotton bud occasionally, but one they've dried out they can be sealed with varnish* to make them stay put. I find the second method a major faff and only use it if that sheet has the only remaining decal of that type on it !

*Not Kleer - meths fogs it. 

Excellent - I'll certainly try these methods.  It's almost a full sheet and I have four coaches to do so it would be a shame to waste it.

Many thanks - appreciated.

Cheers ... Alan

• RMweb Premium

I have always treated them like water slide, which seems to work however old they are.  Float them off and into place, then wash over with the meths after they have dried off. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I have always treated them like water slide, which seems to work however old they are.  Float them off and into place, then wash over with the meths after they have dried off. 

Great, thanks - I'll try that too.  Appreciated.

Cheers ... Alan

Some feedback - Job done.

I found the method that worked for me was to soak the transfer in the meths/water solution for about 5-10 minutes to loosen the tissue - then slid it into approximate position like a water transfer, gently pulling the tissue away.  Once in position a very light dab or two with a small piece of kitchen towel finalised the job.   Tomorrow I'll get the spray kit out and give the coach sides a waft with varnish to seal the job.

Many thanks again for the tips - much appreciated.

Cheers  .. Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

To revitalize METHFIX transfers  I brush a thin layer of Knotting solution over the transfer and then use as a normal Methfix.  Knotting compound is brown so this works only for dark coloured backgrounds.  I believe that a clear version is available from Squires used for making French Polish ( sold as  Shellac )

Norman

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Reviving an old topic, I'm using some HMRS methfix transfers to do the lining on an old Airfix Caerphilly Castle that is being given a new identity as 7013 Bristol Castle. Having got the boiler band lining in place, then brushed over with the method/water solution, I'm finding it leaves a white line of stain on the green paint once the meths has dried off. How do I either avoid this in the first place, or clean it off?

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, micklner said:

Meths is attacking the varnish. Line before varnishing. if you are lucky another coat of varnish will cover it.

Ah, there's no varnish, it's just the original coat of Airfix paint!

Edited by rodent279