WIP 6 x 1 - The Usual TMD? Fuelling Point? Small Country Terminus?

sulzer71

1 hour ago, sulzer71 said:

That was my thinking behind just a fuelling/stabling point , I can run different eras/areas but chances are there wouldn't be DB Schenker/DRS/Europhoenix etc on scene at the same time but I could choose which train company's loco's I wanted to run from day to day , that said my preference is for BR Blue/Large Logo/Railfreight/Sector/Dutch/Mainline/EWS etc although I think if I included the water tower it may look a bit out of place in the nineties/noughties although I could attach small magnets to the legs so it could be removed dependent on what I'm running

I think you are onto something there. The infrastructure that lasted into the early privatisation , is very different to what is around 20 + years later. I think it’s about selectively and observation.

my plank , I run mainly late BR and privatisation to about 2009. I have BR blue but a lot of the infrastructure can’t stretch to it ( palisade fencing , industrial units , stuff I can’t swap out ). My shed is a bit generic as it was going to be didcot but that’s very modern and very....didcot.... so the front is from long rock and the sides a more generic cladding . The scenecraft water tower is clearly a copy of bescot ( my second choice ) but lasted from the early 80s until now ( think it’s still there )

174DDCD0-7CC4-407C-AC78-B5C7FDF22FA3.jpeg

• Like 4

So last night I thought I would add a bit of colour to the backscene using some rustoleum powder blue aerosol chalk paint I had , think I inadvertently created some kind of sky effect although it only looks good from a distance , I need to give it a rub over with a scotchbrite pad as there's quite a few bits of dust in the paint and maybe another coat , although it's not the correct colour for sky I'm wondering if , when I've had some practise with the airbrush whether to actually try add some effects/colours to try make it look like the sky :scratch_one-s_head_mini:

IMG_20210305_072530_804.jpg

IMG_20210305_072452_915.jpg

Made a little progress this weekend , the 1ft wide board was never going to cut it so I have widened it , now just short of 2ft at the widest point , the only downside now is once the track and everything is down should I get the opportunity to exhibit it I will need an assistant to help load it into my van etc , also managed to get some cork down , just need to come up with a plan now

IMG_20210314_170021_772.jpg

IMG_20210315_071624_241.jpg

IMG_20210315_071416_278.jpg

• Like 1

Some nice ideas & suggestions from @Rivercider there. Great photos too - thanks for sharing those good sir.

Yes, the TMD has been overdone a bit (but years ago, I recall the same being said of Branch Line Termini... especially the GWR variant) - But I think, using different structures, rather than off the shelf items, or run of the mill kits, it's possible to make your layout stand out a little, and create a unique atmosphere, despite the basic concept being "generic".

A different plan or design will also go a long way to making your layout look "different". Of course, achieving this is the tricky part. You want your layout to stand out, but not be an "impossible" or obviously un-prototypical design.

Good start - Nice work on the baseboard & backscene - I'm looking forward to seeing this develop :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Someone up thread mentioned Perth.  I think this would be perfect for a multi-era diorama.

1776963513_PerthFuelling.PNG.4b0d9d3fcfdbb77bf83900a51f7f0b5f.PNG

This is the Perth fuelling area, it is the track in the centre of the sat image.  The relatively modern canopy can be seen along with three further canopies adjacent the actual track.  The actual fuel storage tanks are located just off the bottom of the image  It has been here and like this (virtually) unchanged since at least 1979. It uses the northern section of the old platforms 8 and 9, the track lifted from 8 has had the fuelling equipment installed in it's place.  Apart from improvements in the canopy to protect the equipment and fitters/drivers/etc. it is as I remember it in 1979 when I first arrived in the UK to live in Perth.

In 1:76, the length from the buffer stops at the station canopy to the end of the platform is around 59".

You could have anything stabled there from BR Blue all the way up to EWS and DB.

Best

Scott

A John Cumming picture.

First Scotrail - Perth

First Scotrail-Perth

27010 at Perth Fuelling Point 21-2-84

Perth Fuel Road and Plat. 7 North.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, scottystitch said:

Someone up thread mentioned Perth.  I think this would be perfect for a multi-era diorama.

1776963513_PerthFuelling.PNG.4b0d9d3fcfdbb77bf83900a51f7f0b5f.PNG

This is the Perth fuelling area, it is the track in the centre of the sat image.  The relatively modern canopy can be seen along with three further canopies adjacent the actual track.  The actual fuel storage tanks are located just off the bottom of the image  It has been here and like this (virtually) unchanged since at least 1979. It uses the northern section of the old platforms 8 and 9, the track lifted from 8 has had the fuelling equipment installed in it's place.  Apart from improvements in the canopy to protect the equipment and fitters/drivers/etc. it is as I remember it in 1979 when I first arrived in the UK to live in Perth.

In 1:76, the length from the buffer stops at the station canopy to the end of the platform is around 59".

You could have anything stabled there from BR Blue all the way up to EWS and DB.

Best

Scott

A John Cumming picture.

First Scotrail - Perth

First Scotrail-Perth

27010 at Perth Fuelling Point 21-2-84

Perth Fuel Road and Plat. 7 North.

Interesting , might be worth me looking at adapting it into a terminus style , ironically the 26 in the pictures is one I bought last week

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sulzer71 said:

Interesting , might be worth me looking at adapting it into a terminus style , ironically the 26 in the pictures is one I bought last week

I'm still trying to find an image, pre-fuelling road, to show how the road ramp works in.  It would make for a good and interesting backdrop.

Best

Scott.

• Like 1

Was quite tired last night so did very little apart from very nervously removing numbers from 24081 , had black numbers on ends , overhead warning flashes at the other end were also removed as they were in a different position to this end and would be wrong for 24104

IMG_20210330_072548_369.jpg

IMG_20210330_072606_045.jpg

One that I never got to model was the parcel side of a large terminus station.

Along the back scene a single track with a platform. On the platform either stone work or large advert hoardings just giving a hint of the train behind on the single track.

Moving forward on the viewing side of the platform a track used for assembling a short parcel train and / or running DMU shuttles.

In front of that 3 or 4 tracks to park parcel stock or stable the odd loco.

The trick is giving the impression of a larger station, so lots of signs indicating platforms 6- 9 this way. The train partial hidden behind the adverts could be modelled with a coach door opened and several figures in line as if they have just got off.

Hope I have given you or someone else food for thought.

Paul

• Like 2

A little more work done on 24104 last night , first off I realised the BR double arrow was slightly in the wrong place compared to pictures of the real loco so they have been removed ready for new transfers , I also changed the headcode disc configurations to match pictures I've seen around the time I'm modelling 104

IMG_20210330_231905_208.jpg

IMG_20210330_231914_313.jpg

IMG_20210330_231923_270.jpg

• RMweb Gold

How about Peterborough stabling/loco inspection point?  Multi era and not really changed much until recently when DB Cargo put a big sign on the wall.

43 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

How about Peterborough stabling/loco inspection point?  Multi era and not really changed much until recently when DB Cargo put a big sign on the wall.

It’s a good prototype , but slightly ruined I feel by the 3000 + layouts using the Bachmann TMD shed which is the same .

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

It’s a good prototype , but slightly ruined I feel by the 3000 + layouts using the Bachmann TMD shed which is the same .

I was going to model the stabling point but changed my mind and decided to model Heckington as I thought it was more interesting operationally.

32BE86A8-C69C-4F4A-8800-EDBC67767F37.jpeg

3D39D7F7-701F-4F9B-BBBB-625C17581158.jpeg

• Like 1

I'm currently doing something similar using two of the Hornby fueling points that have been around donkeys years. Ive kit bashed them together and added brickwork, glazing and ventilators and other details to so while you can see the base, the look different to pretty much every other shed ive seen modelled. With the addition of a Knightwing gate office to one side it further sets it apart. The other reason apart from their low price secondhand is that my layout is only a Loco Inspection/Fueling Point so i didn't think there would be anything more substantial than that. 

In fact thats one thing that ive never really been able to pin down. Whats the difference between a Stabling Point, Loco Inspection Point and Traction Maintenance depot as the lines are quite often blurred between where one starts and finishes.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, G-DIMB said:

In fact thats one thing that ive never really been able to pin down. Whats the difference between a Stabling Point, Loco Inspection Point and Traction Maintenance depot as the lines are quite often blurred between where one starts and finishes.

The difference between the three is quite simple really.  A traction maintenance depot (TMD) is where a particular loco or unit is home based and all maintenance from heavy to light is done, overhauls not needing a trip for a works visit.

A loco inspection point is usually a one road shed with a pit where a fitter can do minor maintenance, do A and B exams, top up fuels and oil, and fill the sandbox’s.  

A stabling point is usually a series of short sidings which may or may not have fuelling facilities where train crew can dispose of a loco with out the need to take it back it’s nearest depot.  Newport Godfrey St stabling point, next to the station is a good example.  Loco’s from Cardiff Canton (CF), Landore (LE) and Bristol Bath Road (BR) could be safely parked up to await another crew.  Some stabling points were more elaborate affairs but most weren’t.

1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

The difference between the three is quite simple really.  A traction maintenance depot (TMD) is where a particular loco or unit is home based and all maintenance from heavy to light is done, overhauls not needing a trip for a works visit.

A loco inspection point is usually a one road shed with a pit where a fitter can do minor maintenance, do A and B exams, top up fuels and oil, and fill the sandbox’s.  

A stabling point is usually a series of short sidings which may or may not have fuelling facilities where train crew can dispose of a loco with out the need to take it back it’s nearest depot.  Newport Godfrey St stabling point, next to the station is a good example.  Loco’s from Cardiff Canton (CF), Landore (LE) and Bristol Bath Road (BR) could be safely parked up to await another crew.  Some stabling points were more elaborate affairs but most weren’t.

The loco Inspection point look is what I'm going after which is what most layouts are on the exhibition circuit. I have lost count the amount of layouts with two road sheds with lifting jacks in an area that can only fit maybe 4 or 5 locos. Its a stupid thing i know but just something that gets me a little.

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

The loco Inspection point look is what I'm going after which is what most layouts are on the exhibition circuit. I have lost count the amount of layouts with two road sheds with lifting jacks in an area that can only fit maybe 4 or 5 locos. Its a stupid thing i know but just something that gets me a little.

Yep the Bachmann shed and lifting jacks seem the most accessible accessories !

which is fine, but, most of the times the jacks are outside - I’ve never seen any lifting jacks outside presumably because they have electric motors , not so good if it rains ?

Ive no issue with well modelled depots, but some are just lazy - 60s ready to plonk buildings in a 2010+ scenario doesn’t really cut it. If you want a display cabinet for all your locos fine , but make a bit of effort in observation !

rant over , carry on !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Yep the Bachmann shed and lifting jacks seem the most accessible accessories !

which is fine, but, most of the times the jacks are outside - I’ve never seen any lifting jacks outside presumably because they have electric motors , not so good if it rains ?

Ive no issue with well modelled depots, but some are just lazy - 60s ready to plonk buildings in a 2010+ scenario doesn’t really cut it. If you want a display cabinet for all your locos fine , but make a bit of effort in observation !

rant over , carry on !

Thats the look I'm trying to go for which is why I'm spending longer planning it so i model whats likely to be there and not what you think might be there. The era i chose which is the late 90s has a good range of information available thanks to like of Flickr. In fact its threads like this which are a great source of inspiration as you can see how other people are approaching it as there are no real wrong answers but you can pick and choose what you want to do. Which reminds me i really must start a thread and stop hijacking this one! 

• Like 1