Could this be railway related?

MyRule1

Its not impossible, but Sulzer locomotive engines are a tiny part of their corporate history. Apparently the company was founded in 1775 and has done a lot of things which aren't diesel engines for railway applications, so it's probably not rail related.

• RMweb Premium

Although we associate the name Sulzer with British locomotives, they have quite an interesting history in other fields:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulzer_(manufacturer)

David

PS. As the name on that box is hand-painted (not very professionally), it might not have anything to do with the manufacturing company.

Edited by Kylestrome

6 minutes ago, sir douglas said:

it could have been owned by someone with the surname or nickname of sulzer

my immediate thought too - when my grandfather died and we cleared his house we found a couple of similar (slightly larger) boxes stencilled with his surname.  i guessed they dated back to WW2 and related to his military service but i never knew that for sure.  Still have them somewhere in the garage for storing tools...

Edited by Matt

Thank you @Zomboid @Kylestrome @petethemole @TheSignalEngineer  @Gordon A @Nearholmer @sir douglas @Matt for your replies. So the general consensus is that is probably some sort of ammunition box which actually fits with the back story I do know about the provenance of the item.

I will pass the finding back to the Facebook page. 

Yes, deffo amunition box. B173 is the type reference, denoting its size / use. The range of boxes were designed for different 'stores' - this one possibly grenades.

It does have at least a railway connection in that someone at some stage in its post-military career had to collect it (TBCF) from Man Pic stn, although there's no red star labels on it, so I wonder if it was a railway worker ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1