Running a test track with DCC and DC

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of building a simple test track with provision for both DC and DCC as a number of my models don’t have DCC chips in (yet).  As I’m a complete dunce regarding electrics, I assume that if I install two drop feeds, one for DC and another for DCC, everything should work without issue?  Or should I just have the one feed to a double throw switch and select which controller I want to use?

Better to have a double pole double throw switch rather than relying on only connecting DCC or only connecting DC.

it would be a racing certainty that at some point you connect the DCC without having disconnected the DC (or vice versa)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Lots of different ways to approach this but I think they are all base on just one set of ‘drop feeds’.  My test track feeds  lead  to a banana (speaker type) sockets and I have leads with banana plugs on so I can plug in DC or DCC but not both.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

21 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’m thinking of building a simple test track with provision for both DC and DCC as a number of my models don’t have DCC chips in (yet).  As I’m a complete dunce regarding electrics, I assume that if I install two drop feeds, one for DC and another for DCC, everything should work without issue?  Or should I just have the one feed to a double throw switch and select which controller I want to use?

If you have 2 separate feeds the risk is that, no matter how careful you are, you will eventually make the mistake of having both DCC and DC turned on at the same time, and that may well cause serious, and expensive to repair, damage to the output transistors on the DCC system. That is why others have recommended a DPDT switch or plug-in connectors so that it is physically only possible to connect one system at a time. If you do go down the plug-in connectors route don't get the stackable type of plug as sooner or later you'll stack DC and DCC.......

One other point, do get into the habit of removing all your DC locos from your test track after each DC session. If you leave a DC loco on the track and switch over to DCC, the DC locos won't move but it it will be receiving DCC power from the track which may result in the motor burning out.

It matters less with DCC decoder equipped locos when you switch to DC as DC shouldn't harm a decoder and most DCC decoder equipped locos will run like a conventional DC loco when on DC. But it makes sense, to me anyway, to get into the habit of removing all locos, DC or DCC, after each running session to avoid any mishaps.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend of mine has just suggested laying down about 2ft of track on a piece of equal length 2x4 and then using DCC Concepts rolling road.  Take’s up less space, plus the loco and anything else that needs a gentle run in can be left to it’s own devices while you do something else.  Anyone else used that idea?

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

A friend of mine has just suggested laying down about 2ft of track on a piece of equal length 2x4 and then using DCC Concepts rolling road.  Take up less space, plus the loco and anything else that needs a gentle run in can be left to it’s own devices while you do something else.  Anyone else used that idea?

Yes, I have mine in a tool box. The tool tray at the top has a DCC track on one side & a DC on the other. Anything I need like DC controller, Powercab & small multimeter.

• Like 1