OO gauge elliptical buffers

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate you taking the time to look. But the style of buffer head I'm after is what's fitted to class 60s and 66s. Hornby did do spares but they are currently unavailable.

Hi,

Try Peters Spares. They have a whole range of buffers. i found a set of Hornby buffers for a class 31 that are sprung that may do the trick. Sorry I cannot post the link as every time I try and post a link here it comes out as plain text.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, RP82 said:

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate you taking the time to look. But the style of buffer head I'm after is what's fitted to class 60s and 66s. Hornby did do spares but they are currently unavailable.

Well If you had specified that in the first place then it would have made it more obvious. 

7 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

If you cant find what youre looking for, Elliptical buffers are not very different from oval ones, just take a file to the edges, file to shape and then you have the correct buffer shape

NL

I've tried that in the past but wasn't happy with the results, I couldn't get the shape right and they looked too small to my eyes. I've decided to have a bash at using some spare Lima class 59 buffer heads and short pieces of tube. 

14 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Well If you had specified that in the first place then it would have made it more obvious. 

Seems there's been a little confusion, the title does say elliptical.

4 hours ago, RP82 said:

I've tried that in the past but wasn't happy with the results, I couldn't get the shape right and they looked too small to my eyes. I've decided to have a bash at using some spare Lima class 59 buffer heads and short pieces of tube. 

Little practice, but ive gotten decent results, seems that theres a shortage of buffers at the moment, spares probably have decreased through the pandemic as people stay at home, and demand has probably gone up recently. 

NL

15 hours ago, bartram108 said:

I think @Hilux5972was referring to the specific loco type being not being mentioned in the OP

Graham

Loco buffers is a varied subject. For instance class 37s have had large diameter round Oleos, oval head, rectangular and elliptical headed buffers over the years. Class 60s have had elliptical and ovals. Class 90s have had two types of retractable buffers chopped round and full circle and a mix of oval and elliptical. In the case of the class 60 and 90s some locos have had one of each oval and elliptical at one end at one point.

Edited by RP82