The Clayton Type 1 Bo-Bo Diesel-Electric Locomotives: BR Class 17.

tony6710

• RMweb Gold

Latest news is that these books are all due into our warehouse on 3 June 2021 along with the hot off the press The Deltics and Baby Deltics A Tale of Success and Failure, all suitably discounted for our customers.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

My copy has arrived today. It has only had a quick "flick-through" but looks an excellent addition to my personal library.

Looking forward to a better read tonight.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1

I received a copy this morning, great read,plenty of official information dating back to the 1950s derived from formal BR sources such as BR Mechanical Engineers E S Cox, Freddie Harrison etc.

A good source of information as to the ailemnts of the Clayton,  crankcases cylinder  heads and turbo chargers

We've had the class 21/29, the class 28 and the class 17.  What does Mr Sayer plan to write  for the next book?  Will it be the baby Deltic, the North British D6300,   the Class 73 ED?   

I received my copy of the Clayton book over the weekend and all I can say is that there is far too much information in it to be able to quickly absorb the huge amount of effort that Tony has put into it. Like the two books previously published in similar vein on the NBL Type 2's and Metrovicks it proves that the 1955 Modernisation Plan had too many Chiefs and not enough Indians when advice was being given by manufacturers and then ignored by those who thought they knew best. The book is a compelling read and I'm sure it will take me several months to fully appreciate its content, especially the painstaking charts of location information. I did have a 'lift' on a couple of occasions back from Millerhill to Waverley in a Clayton and the cabs seemed unbearably hot, which was bourn out by both drivers on the occasions with some pretty inflammatory Scottish expletives!

I look forward to more titles in Tony's style and must get to grips with the content of this one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I received my copy today.  As the previous poster said there's an awful lot to take in, but my initial impression is that it's superb. Congratulations Tony!

Can we look forward to further books, maybe one on the Class 15s & 16s?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I was guessing when I wrote the post above, but a book by Tony  on the Class 15/16s has now appeared on both the Pen & Sword and Book Depository websites, for publication in October.

Book Depository also advertise one on the Class 14s; publication in 2022.

I'll be ordering these two as I've found the previous three very interesting. I'm still reading and enjoying the one on the Claytons. In the past most of what I've read on the NBL class 21/29s, the Metrovicks and the Claytons could be summed up as "they were unreliable".  I hadn't previously seen any author give an explanation of why this was, and what was done to try and fix things, as Tony does.

• Like 1