What size screw is this and where can I get one?

Hello all,

I have an aged green Triang Hornby 0-6-0 diesel shunter locomotive that is a cherished possession.

Unfortunately, the screw holding the top to the chassis has been lost  and I would like to find a replacement. But my local model shop has nothing this old and somehow I don't think Screwfix will be any help. A brief look on the website of a certain big online shop, presents me with endless options for lots of screws-in-a bumper-pack, but then without knowing the size or thread pitch???  I tried looking on 'Peters Spares', but it's like looking for the proverbial needle...

So the screw is a small flathead countersunk of around 2mm (ish), that secures at the back of the cab.

Can anyone suggest what the size is and where to look to obtain one (or a few)?

Thanks.  

Probably an 8BA. Whether you'll get a flat headed one I'm not sure but an appeal in the wanted section of the forum will quite likely result in the offer of one from another member.

If not, a supplier like Eileen's who posts in the small supplier section will have some in stock I'm sure.

These screws are generic each fitting many Triang / Hornby locos  but there are quite a lot of different screws.   The oldest Triang Hornby 0-6-0 diesel I have has a short countersunk straight slot blackened 8ba set screw which screws into a right angled adaptor bracket which is held to the chassis with a different longer 8BA straight slot non countersunk screw in natural brass.  It fits the same hole the long 8ba countersunk etc, screw which went down the chimney on pre smoke fitted Jinty's which used the same chassis. The bracket used also on the 0-6-0 saddle tank has to be adjusted correctly or the body will crack around the screw hole as you tighten it.   

The short countersunk 8ba screw also fits the X04 motor Nellie, Polly etc 0-4-0 locomotives which attach with a screw through the back of the bunker. It may be the same a the later 8751 pannier and Jinty which attach with a screw through the side of the chassis just behind the leading driving wheel on the left hand side and some Triang Hornby tenders also have them holding the chassis on under the coal load.  Better to get the correct one off eBay or Peter's spares than to cut one down and try to blacken it.

The screw on the Jinty and Pannier is cheesehead, whereas that for the shunter is countersunk. The thread, as already stated, is 8 BA. The screw should be blackened, though for a green diesel a touch of paint would do.

The service sheet is this one and the screw S.1026.

http://www.hornbyguide.com/service_sheet_details.asp?sheetid=7

Just beaten to it!  A couple of spares is handy. These screws are particularly attractive to gremlins and the like....

Edited by Il Grifone