Staycation Express 2021 - HST

8 hours ago, dagrizz said:

Not being savvy to finding out the timings of this train over the  S&C, can anyone help me with the approx times the train might pass Ribblehead in each direction?

Thanks

Graham

Best bet to look at realtimetrains for Blea Moor, with operator LS for the day you’re interested in. 
Here’s the 21st of July:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:BLEMOR/2021-07-21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS

1018 & 1627 southbound and 1157 & 1757 northbound

In fact putting in Ribblehead station works just as well, about 3 mins difference

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:RHD/2021-07-21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS

Edited by eastwestdivide
July, location
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

Best bet to look at realtimetrains for Blea Moor, with operator LS for the day you’re interested in. 
Here’s the 21st of July:

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:BLEMOR/2021-07-21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS

1018 & 1627 southbound and 1157 & 1757 northbound

In fact putting in Ribblehead station works just as well, about 3 mins difference

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:RHD/2021-07-21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=LS

`And then click on the link for the train to get realtime running info (most of the time!)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Looks pretty smart to me, if not a memorable classic.

Ditto. Can't stand bright, vivid liveries - I find them garish and tacky and out of place everywhere except places I find ugly and tacky.

But then again liveries only come in two categories - marmite or (almost) universally loathed. You'll never find one with universal appeal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Monkersson said:

Cant wait to see the livery on your HST that you've saved from the scrap line

I thought the only one saved from the scrapline is the IC125 groups set, and a few odd power cars.

I was hoping this one would be in reverse blue/grey as a 1970’s Pullman, but theres still chance yet.

The rest are “service” stock run to make money for their operators, NR excepted…so not saved from scrap.. yet... even the LNER Blue Grey Set hasnt been scrapped..yet.

It will look nice on the S&C, I was hoping for a more regular LSL heritage loco hauled set myself, last year was pretty good.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

In view of the scientific advice about COVID transmissability and it being better to be outside in the fresh air, surely the Staycation Express, both this year or last, should have been formed of pressure ventilated stock (Mk1s and/or Mk2a-c) with windows blocked open rather than Mk3 air-conditioned coaches. Would guarantee loco haulage too.....

Of course I'm biased.

• Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 16:03, brushman47544 said:

What do they expect if they use an HST… They should have stuck with locos.

5 minutes ago, 3rd Rail Exile said:

There are some of us who went and "did it" precisely because they used an HST...

Note quite sure how the traction matters, once you're not in the coach next to the loco can you actually tell what is hauling you?

I would think for most people it is the experience on train - the seating, the catering (if part of the package) and the service provided that add up to the overall experience, plus views of course.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

Note quite sure how the traction matters, once you're not in the coach next to the loco can you actually tell what is hauling you?

I would think for most people it is the experience on train - the seating, the catering (if part of the package) and the service provided that add up to the overall experience, plus views of course.

A route I hadn't had an HST over previously (but I know what you mean about not being able to tell what the motive power is once on the train) 

The views were certainly the main selling point - the S&C never fails to be spectacular!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Despite having had every HST power car for haulage, I have always viewed the HSTs as unwelcome DMU replacements of loco hauled trains, notwithstanding how good they actually are. So I would never make a special trip to travel on one, but a loco is another thing entirely.

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Thats a shame, I must admit I liked year 1 with the varying locos, but last year with the all 1st class HST was a nice day out too, I was looking forwards to it this year.