When did Model Railways (nee MRN) cease publication?

stewartingram

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

ISTR it changed into Model Railway Enthusiast about that time.

No idea who published it or who was involved. But it was more aimed at collectors than modellers. Very heavy on articles about things like Triang and Hornby Dublo.

Jason

If memory serves it was owned and edited by Pat Hammond, at least initially.

• RMweb Gold

It was Scale Model Trains that was merged into Model Railway Enthusiast (apparently without Chris Ellis' knowledge), not Model Railways. I had a number of the later issues of Model Railways but I'm not sure when it ceased publication. The last editor was Roy Johnstone, a journalist but not himself a modeller.

Pat Hammond was indeed the editor of MRE, which later became MREmag online. He is no longer involved with it, AFAIK, and the website is supposedly being updated—but there is no content apart from a holding message.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I'm scanning my loft full of old mags ready for a clearance, and my last MR is July 1993. I've just discovered on the web a reference to Jan & Feb/1994, so when did it actually cease publication?

Stewart

1994 February was the final issue and nothing to do with MRE.

It was definitely losing it's way by then and not surprising it finished up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Model Railway News was one of the publications of the Model Aeronautical Press, including Model Engineer and Aeromodeller. 

The last issue of MRN on 

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Railway-News-1971 is August 1971 

then the last issue of Model Railways

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/Model-Railways-1994

is February 1994. The first available issue is February 1937

Edited by MyRule1
spelling
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

It was Scale Model Trains that was merged into Model Railway Enthusiast (apparently without Chris Ellis' knowledge), not Model Railways. I had a number of the later issues of Model Railways but I'm not sure when it ceased publication. The last editor was Roy Johnstone, a journalist but not himself a modeller.

Pat Hammond was indeed the editor of MRE, which later became MREmag online. He is no longer involved with it, AFAIK, and the website is supposedly being updated—but there is no content apart from a holding message.

Scale Model Trains changed to Model Trains International.

If it wasn't related to Model Railways, they were pretty close to plagarism. Even the typeface is similar and look at the dates it arrived. Virtually at the same time as MR disappeared. First issue November 1993.

They even did the "Build a Layout over X amount of months" articles, beloved of YMR.

https://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/model-railway-enthusiast-magazine-november-1994-issue.html

Jason

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Scale Model Trains changed to Model Trains International.

Misleading. The publishers of Model Railway Enthusiast acquired the title of Scale Model Trains from its (then) publisher. The editor of SMT, Chris Ellis, wasn't consulted. Subsequently he, and a group of regular contributors, started MTI as a replacement for SMT. Chris Ellis recounted this story more than once in MTI editorials.

I don't think there was any connection between Model Railway Enthusiast and Model Railways. They were, after all, completely different types of magazine. I think you will find that other magazines started around this time, too — didn't BRM start around this time? April 1994?

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The publishers of Model Railway Enthusiast acquired the title of Scale Model Trains . . . .

According to this issue (June 1995, vol 2, no.6) of Model Railway Enthusiast, that I have, the publisher was Link House Magazines, executive editor was Richard West and editor was David Jinks.

HTH

DSC01387red.jpg.7c8211a3dd2599ab5d7c9b6a7b9388e9.jpg

I quite liked MRE, but even as a teenager it struck me as a bit more basic than the likes of Railway Modeller.  Interesting articles though, particularly liked the history of the Derby Lightweights/Class 101's- kind of taster for the doorstep-thick books by Pat Hammond :)

• RMweb Gold

ISTR that Link House Publications was quite a big concern at the time. Don't know what happened to them, nor exactly when the magazine ceased publication in printed form; Pat Hammond was the editor by then—I’d forgotten that he hadn't been the editor from the start.

The publishers of Model Railways, MAP, used to publish quite a lot of modelling and related magazines at one time. They later became Nexus Publications — I wonder what happened to them?

29 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The publishers of Model Railways, MAP, used to publish quite a lot of modelling and related magazines at one time. They later became Nexus Publications — I wonder what happened to them?

Not sure, but I know I did some work for them in 1995, shortly after they had acquired MAP and were moving all it's assets etc. from Hemel Hempstead to somewhere south of London, unfortunately I can't remember where.

Model Railways had already ceased publication by then although I think Model Engineer and Aero Modeller, were still in print. They appeared to be looking closely at rationalising other former MAP publications.

My then wife and I contributed to Model Railways mag quite a few times at the instigation of the editor Roy Johnstone. One of the articles was a ‘thought piece’ about creating a society to promote Diesel & Electric modelling. The article contributed to formation of Diesel & Electric Modellers United (aka DEMU).

It was in the last year to 18 months of the mag’s existence that we wrote for it, so maybe we hastened its demise...

steve