Picture of West Highland Line single line key tokens (the pre RETB world)

young37215

• RMweb Gold

I want a picture(s) of the single line tokens that were in use on the WHL in the early 1980's prior to the introduction of RETB. My intention is to create several replicas for use with my WHL layout to control movements on the line when there is more than one operator and I would like to get as close to the real thing as is practical. 

I have searched various sites that I had hoped would be able to assist but cannot find anything; can anyone help or direct me where I might find a picture?

Thanks.

Rob  

Edited by young37215

• RMweb Gold

A little progress, the attached link is to an auction house listing for Garelochead to Glen Douglas token with a picture of the token. I would still like to see more pictures of WHL tokens if anyone has them.

https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/single-line-key-token-glen-douglas-garelochhead-nu-2011nov-0414.html

• young37215 changed the title to Picture of West Highland Line single line key tokens (the pre RETB world)
  • RMweb Gold

It seems Auction Houses are the place to look for pictures, I have managed to find 4 of WHL key tokens and a much larger number from elsewhere. Having seen the prices that these command at auction (the one in the link above sold for £320) I will not be attempting to secure originals for WHL4! To my surprise each key token is a different shape which leads me to conclude that provided what I get made is something near it will not stand out as being wrong.  

• RMweb Gold

I also meant to ask the question 'where would I get something like a key token made?' I initially though Timpsons but then had second thoughts. I now have absolutely no idea where I should go; can anyone make a suggestion?

If you want plastic then Shapeways or a similar company could 3D print you one if you have a 3D model. If you don't have a 3D model you'll need someone who can create one for you, and for that you'll need dimensions.

If you want one in metal then you'll have the option of machined or cast, or a mix of the two. The original keys would probably have been cast as blanks and then machined to suit. If you wanted some casting you'd need a master, which could be wooden or 3D printed. If you want some machining then a technical drawing would be required.

Cost-wise, whichever route you go, will probably be around £80-90 per key.

All the best,

Jack

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/03/2021 at 16:33, young37215 said:

I would still like to see more pictures of WHL tokens if anyone has them.

One of the railwayana auctioneers has ten WHR key tokens coming up and has thoughtfully taken some nice clear pictures ....click here and scroll down ...

• Thanks 1

This site may be of interest to you ... though it's mostly in the East of England - as is the chap you maintains the site.   However there is at least one West Highland line token illustrated.  See the section of configuration.  This also explains the reason for different shapes.

http://trainweb.org/singleline/

New key tokens are mostly produced for the preservation movement these days although there are still a number of  NR lines using them (eg the Whitby line).  To make them you need to have to blanks cast and the section name engraved and the configuration milled into them.  I used to have a blank but it has gone to one of the preserved lines. 

BR sometimes re-used obsolete tokens by milling out the old description and re-engraving, or by riveting a plate with the new over the old description. 

This might also be of interest 

http://www.trainweb.org/railwest/gen/signal/sl-intro.html

http://www.railsigns.uk/info/etoken1/etoken1.html

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Graham R said:

One of the railwayana auctioneers has ten WHR key tokens coming up and has thoughtfully taken some nice clear pictures ....click here and scroll down ...

Wow, what a stash of tokens. Thank you very much for the heads up, I am tempted by the thought of securing just one of the tokens for personal posterity. I hope that the post lock boom that is predicted does not extend to the auction rooms!