Weatherboard / Clapboard building sheets

Greetings All,

It pains me to use the term clapboard, it is another invasive term used by our American cousins that is overtaking our native Weatherboard. 

Can anyone please point me towards a source for 4mm scale weatherboard sheets? I am aware of the Wills / Peco sheets. I am also aware of the Scalescenes sheets, but unfortunately I do not have access to a printer at the moment. 

Are there any other suppliers of weatherboarding papers or sheets? Or is there any merit in simply scribing some lines on blank card?

Thanks in advance

19 hours ago, brossard said:

Try Evergreen, an enormous range of plastic and textured sheets.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000554/0/evergreen_plastics/mfrnest.aspx

John

Thank you you for the link. As you say, their range is extensive!

14 hours ago, ikcdab said:

The easiest way is to lightly scribe on thin card. I use 1mm card and score it lightly. When painted, the texture is just right.

Ian

Thanks for the tip, if I can find a suitable scrap of card I’ll give this a go. 

14 hours ago, burgundy said:

Is clapboard an Americanism? I can recall houses in Sussex being described in that way over 50 years ago. 

Best wishes 

Eric

Then I submit to your greater knowledge ;)  When I was active on the woodworking forums, all to often I would see terms such as lumber, rabbet or dado displacing their British equivalents. In the woodworking media the American voice is far more ubiquitous than the British. 

On 04/03/2021 at 18:51, burgundy said:

Is clapboard an Americanism? I can recall houses in Sussex being described in that way over 50 years ago. 

Best wishes 

Eric

I think in the UK we traditionally have gone for shiplap as opposed to clap board but I have no idea if clapboard is the American version of Shiplap or if they are in fact slightly different

• RMweb Premium

Anyone got any Faller 612 distressed wood modelling card? From about 1980. If you do, please scan & share!

• RMweb Gold

The advantage that the Wills clapboard sheets have is that they have joins in the planking and a degree of irregularity, which some of the products of the larger sheet manufacturers don't. It depends on what you want to cover. Is it a modern house or an old barn or goods shed?

These two photos from the quayside area of Rye in Sussex show the contrasting looks. The white building looks to have had a modern  refit, with few signs of joins, whereas the old surfaces on the warehouses have uneven planking and joins visible. The latter show that you can have butt joints, as you can see where some of the upper doors have been partially boarded in or you can use a vertical timber cover strip, as can be seen on the right hand building. So the relatively small Wills sheets need not be a problem.

One way of achieving the clap board look in card is to use a thicker card and rather than score with the blade vertically, cut lightly at an angle, with a nice sharp blade. This allows the edge to lift and create the overlapped look. A nick across a plank every so often can create the joins. Don't cut too deep or the card may bow upwards. If it does make sure that it is curved back flat and braced from behind before you paint it.

Rye Strand meets Wish Ward borderless 22 7 2006.jpg

Ganaries & warehouses The Strand Rye 5 7 2010 2kpx.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1