Imagine converting London's Euston Station from a Terminus, into a through station.

Ron Ron Ron

As a small child I thought Euston did have through lines that disappeared under the frontage, but I think now what I saw and reimagined was the hotel curve at KX.

That work at Stuttgart looks amazing, but so over budget and time and I'd never heard of it till now.

They do like big infrastructure projects in Germany (and Europe!), witness a similar type of conversion at Vienna main station, a rebuild of Berlin and so on. Not to mention the base tunnels under the Alps and connection projects across major waterways.

In Hamburg, they’re going to be moving the large Altona terminus station a couple of kilometres north, simply because the land the current station rests on, is so valuable (there may be operational reasons too, I forget!).

It all comes at the cost of substantial public spending of course and some do complain but I usually find ticket prices much better than in the UK.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

As a small child I thought Euston did have through lines that disappeared under the frontage, but I think now what I saw and reimagined was the hotel curve at KX.

That work at Stuttgart looks amazing, but so over budget and time and I'd never heard of it till now.

The way that the platform ramps slope up to the concourse at Euston do slightly give the impression that the lines continue on.

Antwerp Central is another one that's had through (high speed) lines put in under the original station.

5 hours ago, woodenhead said:

.....That work at Stuttgart looks amazing, but so over budget and time and I'd never heard of it till now.

Our British press media love to jump on our own large scale infrastructure projects being late or over budget, but they rarely put those stories into context with similar problems affecting large projects in the rest of Europe, or elsewhere.

Massively over-budget and being delivered very late, both Stuttgart 21 and Berlin Brandenburg Airport have been media fed scandals in Germany, as has the woeful underfunding of the railway infrastructure over the last couple decades (now being addressed).

• Like 2