Another heritage line in trouble

sjp23480

I fear these two railways K&ESR and LR aren't the only ones and many preserved railways will have their begging bowls out more than ever. The lock downs because of corona virus has no doubt hit them all for six because it's cut off their main form of revenue. They may all recover but it won't be overnight and any future plans will be put onto the back burner for some time to come.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I follow 30+ heritage railways on Facebook. Last spring virtually all of them had fundraising activities of some sort. So it's not necessarily disastrous for this particular railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can remember railways are largely charities relying on volunteers and donations.

its only more recent memory have paid staff and paid management appear on the scene, whilst they put the appearance of self importance of running a business and the heirs and graces of paid staff, under the hood its just a presentation layer built on top of charities, donations and goodwill.

reverting to Llangollen, I think the line will be fine, but the company running it will change. I believe many railways are set up in such a way to as ensure operating companies dont put the efforts of the charities, donations, volunteers and goodwill at risk.

i’m overdue a return to Llangollen, and sure it wont be too long... the gates will be open..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2021 at 21:59, sjp23480 said:

This time KESR are appealing for donations to raise £100k! ☹️

Kent Online: and East Sussex Railway launches fundraiser to survive after coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/historic-railway-needs-100k-to-survive-243406/

Years ago I would occasionally bump into a chap who seemed to look after the K&ESR accounts. Her told me Easter was their busiest time of year, so the timing of an appeal may be intended to tap into the money that might have been spent then. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Oh dear.:(  No wonder his railways aren't making any money then 

Good heavens! The next thing we know we shall be nationalised!

Which is what happened in real life. Then closed in 1954. Funnily enough not long after Titfield was in the film.

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

For quite a while now, articles in the mags invariably end by an appeal.  Is it a smart idea to start a project no matter how worthy without some capital backing?  Normally wouldn't be and certainly not in these tenuous times so perhaps sponsorship may be a better idea if any could be found.  In happier times even, there never seemed to be enough money to go around.  It may be a grand idea to remake a certain loco or item of rolling stock but unless you have a steady supply of passengers filling seats it could turn into a money pit!:(

Brian.

• Like 2

Many railways have not had the proverbial cash cow in December of Santa.  Ticket sales for many lines brings in the majority of the overall income each year.  That is not counting the extra spend in the shop and other items.  A children's ride taking 20p each time had 1500 riders one year at one place I know during December alone.

28 minutes ago, AMJ said:

Many railways have not had the proverbial cash cow in December of Santa. 

13 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

They didn't make much money while he was alive either...

Santa's dead?  :o :O :cry:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:notme: :help: :telephone:

• Funny 6