I started collecting Corgi Toys in 1957 when they produced a model of my uncle's  Ford Consul.  The model was an advance on Dinky's Ford Zephyr as it had windows, machine turned wheels and a push and go motor.  Since then Corgi competed with Dinky to produce splendid models in the 1960s. Although they are slightly under scale the 1950s model cars do not look out of place on an 0 gauge layout.  Later Corgi went on to produce some 1/76 scale buses and 1/43 scale cars and vans that are to model railway scales.

For those that missed out on collecting Corgi Toys Blue DTC Brands are producing some exact replicas, starting with a Ford Thames Ice Cream van for £1.99 followed by some more Corgi Toys.  From the dimensions it looks like the ice cream van is to 1/38 scale which is a bit big for 0 gauge. We will not be able to cherry pick future models so if, like me, you are only interested in a few models it is probably best to wait until they appear on the second hand market.

P1000615.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

Looks like some people have had problems ordering their Corgi Ice Cream van. One person ordered an ice cream van for his 89 year old father who sent a cheque for £1,99. Corgi said that it did not receive the £1.99 cheque and sent the debt collectors to the customer for the full value of the model of £28,99. After the Daily Telegraph intervened Corgi called off the debt collectors.  Please see https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/katie-investigates/debt-collectors-claiming-199-toy-ice-cream-van.

As I bought the ice cream van Corgi have offered me a 10% discount on their retro models which include 417 Land Rover Breakdown Truck for £29.99 with no seats or suspension and 224 Bentley Continental for £28,99.  The post and packaging seems excessive at around £7 for the two items and the discount expired at midnight last night.

I had a look at their website and they are offering an RT4170S Land Rover with seats and suspension for £21.99.

I have also received an offer from Corgi for free postage for orders over £30.  Most of their vehicles are just under £30 , There is another offer for a free Morris Minor in Highways yellow.

It looks like they are having problems shifting their retro vehicles and it would have been much easier if they had just sold their models at around £20 each without all these gimmicks.

I think that Corgi is part of the Hornby empire so I hope that Hornby does not start marketing its trains in the same way as Corgi is marketing their cars and cutting out the dealer.

The Hornby Model Club may not be owned by Hornby but 474 Corgi Toys Wall's Ice Cream Van was made by Hornby Hobbies Ltd, Margate as stated on the box,  I would prefer to go to my local model shop and buy one around £20 rather than having offers sent through my email account,

• Agree 2