Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

What do you do with your old magazines?

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

I had to deal with the aftermath of hoarding parents.  Something which I would consider selfish to impose on my children, so for this very reason I take stock daily of hoarded matter, and consequently old music and railway magazines have been pulped, long ago. 

Seriously, it's like keeping bits of string, nuts, random bolts, washers and pieces of wire.  Get shot of the lot of it, you'll feel fantastic after.    Retaining crap holds you back, it won't ever come in useful, even if we live beyond 27.

There is a huge difference between junk randomly stored and magazines stored in an accessible location, where they are stored in some sort of order. That way they can be useful, piles of miscellaneous titles mixed in together are not.

There are many requests appearing on RMweb for information, often going back decades. Usually someone can answer the most obscure question, often within 24 hours, so obviously some RMweb members can access various information readily.

RMweb would certainly be a worse off place, if everyone followed your advice and junked everything, even a modest 5 year time frame.

Let people make their own mind up, as to what is crap and what is useful.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2021 at 16:40, Mike Bellamy said:

The only problem with that is that the last page of an interesting article about subject A may be on the back of an equally interesting article about subject B so then how do you file those ?

Scan and print the single page.

I do this too, the related problem is articles with odd numbers of pages never seem to balance out so you get dead pages.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I keep them for a month then bin them. 

If there is a particular article that I like or have found useful I will try to remove it from magazine and keep it in a polypropylene envelope folder I keep for this purpose .  

Frankly I keep far too much stuff . Really I could do with a good  clear out 

If people need A4 clear plastic pockets for filing pages saved from magazines, now I'm retired I have thousands of them, all empty and ready to go to another good home.  Within reason I'll happily pay the postage if there's not too many folk clamoring after them! Alternatively, and off topic a bit, does anyone know how to recycle so many if there is no demand for them? 

Steve. 

I scan articles I find useful, then once the kids have finished with them (youngest likes looking through the mags) a couple of times a year I donate them to the magazine archive room at Vintage Carriages, Ingrow.  Useful service there- occasionally here on RMWeb someone will discuss a layout or something "in RM in october 1961" so it's good to be able to nip over and spend 50p to get a copy from their very well-organised archives.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2021 at 07:16, john new said:

Scan and print the single page.

I do this too, the related problem is articles with odd numbers of pages never seem to balance out so you get dead pages.

About to bite the bullet and cull my collection of BackTrack down to just articles on topics of interest, sadly they do not have a digital back issues archive you can subscribe to. (BRM & RMod are on-line, an excellent option) My collection of BTs is  just too unwieldy now. The problem of a cull though is you have to second guess what your future interests will be.

• Agree 2

I couldn't imagine junking my magazines - two of my most prized possessions are a full set of both MRJ and Narrow Gauge & Industrial Railway Modelling Review. Years ago I enthusiastically collected old MRN and Model Railways going back to the 50's, and you still find handy things in them. It's funny though, because I also buy a classic car mag and this goes straight in the bin once read. 

A plea though - if you are going to strip out the useful bits such as drawings etc. please don't then donate the rest of the magazine for re-sale, because I've lost count of the times I've bought a bundle of old mags only to find half the pages missing, usually the ones you want !

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 05/03/2021 at 21:01, trustytrev said:

Hello,

Scan anything you want to keep. Takes up less space and means you can donate the unwanted piles to someone else.

trustytrev.;)

Until you run out of hard disc space. Space is the issue for us all, whether virtual or physical, if my house had two or three extra rooms one would be our library, one a hobbies room shared between my trains and sewing gear for my wife and the third an office so we could again use the dining area as a bespoke diner (currently in use as our office) The kitchen could also do with being bigger! Ok, also add in a music room and a workshop, sadly though we all have to live with what space we have, only a very few win the lottery.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1