New Stock For The Piccadilly Line

• RMweb Gold

As there are a few forum members that have an interest in the London Underground, I thought the following might be of interest.  

Transport for London (TfL) and Siemens Mobility have today unveiled the detailed design of the new generation Tube trains for the Piccadilly line, which will soon be in production to replace the existing 1970s fleet.

News article here

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Goole is not far from me. Will be interesting to see how the new units are transported to London, via rail or road. Either way a chance or two for some photos when they have been built. Would also be interesting to see if Siemens hold any visitor opportunities (out of normal hours, e.g. evenings) to see the units in various stages of build - like Hitachi did with the 80x Azumas.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, iands said:

Will be interesting to see how the new units are transported to London, via rail or road.

I don’t know for sure but I wouldn’t be surprised if the units, particularly the early ones constructed, go via the test facility at Old Dalby first for type testing, training and commissioning as happened with the S stock.  

The same question applies though of course, is movement from Goole by road or rail?

Edited by 4630
To correct auto correct!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That press release also mentioned there may be further batches built for the Central, Bakerloo and Waterloo & City lines. Those trains are almost 25 years junior to the Piccadilly line '73 stock, so longevity is clearly dwindling as stock becomes more lightweight. The 90s stock has had more than its fair share of problems over the years.

The various 67/72/73 evolutions show the benefits of a fairly constant renewal program allowing that evolution over revolution. It will be very interesting to see how the new stock fairs with no doubt a lot of lessons from S Stock introduction.

I am sure Siemens will thoroughly test the early German built stock at Wildenrath before it sets foot (wheel?) on British metals. Time will tell if there is a Class 56-like batch distinction.

Edited by daveyb
Spelling

8 hours ago, daveyb said:

That press release also mentioned there may be further batches built for the Central, Bakerloo and Waterloo & City lines. Those trains are almost 25 years junior to the Piccadilly line '73 stock, so longevity is clearly dwindling as stock becomes more lightweight.

The Bakerloo line uses 1972 stock, so even older (slightly) than the Piccadilly sets. There is something of a contrast on the route shared with Overground beyond Queens Park, with 50-year old (nearly) tube stock running alongside brand new units !

The central line stock is 1992 isn't it? They're 29ish years old now, and by the time this project gets near replacing them, they'll be pushing 35 years old, which isn't a bad lifespan really.

The same will go for the Northern and Jubilee lines actually, 1996 was 25 years ago. Those are not new trains running there.

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

The central line stock is 1992 isn't it? They're 29ish years old now, and by the time this project gets near replacing them, they'll be pushing 35 years old, which isn't a bad lifespan really.

The same will go for the Northern and Jubilee lines actually, 1996 was 25 years ago. Those are not new trains running there.

It is 1992 stock, but I don't think any entered service until 1993.

One must bear in mind the absolute hammering Central Line trains get (or got, pre-COVID), crush-loaded for much of the day. To get 35 years out of stock used as intensively and as hard as it is cannot be regarded as bad going.