Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Arley Station - Severn Valley Railway

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Welchester said:

Taken a week ago today, this photo I find quite atmospheric. The composition isn't  great, as I was trying to hold two dogs in the hand that wasn't holding the camera.

DSCF7142.JPG

Has someone stolen Bob's engine, he is looking very serious, which does not happen all the time. 

• Like 3

Hi Guys....

A soggy day today, but good to see two loco's in operation but more especially though, it is great to be back with colleagues, some of which I haven't seen for 18 months!

Managed a modicum of gardening today, planting some Erigeron karvinskianus profusion into the edge of a bed we are developing, but Arley soil being a tad on the clay side, it is best not to work to heavily on it when wet, as you tend end up being a few inches taller the way it sticks to the base of your boots!

IMG_0118.JPG.058fb9c366d846b90fb076369afc129a.JPG  IMG_0119.JPG.f76c00fa01fbcb3d27a6af9292368725.JPG

Take care, regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 7

On 13/05/2021 at 15:58, Welchester said:

Taken a week ago today, this photo I find quite atmospheric. The composition isn't  great, as I was trying to hold two dogs in the hand that wasn't holding the camera.

DSCF7142.JPG

Managed to get my wheelbarrow in I see!

Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It was lovely to see people on and enjoying the station today, especially when our passengers had a look round whilst waiting for 43106 when delayed due to the fire brigade in attendance at Eardington. We just bailed and enjoyed sitting on the grassy bank

image.png.8947f15556cbf95ba4e95de0cee570fb.png

• Like 6

I was at Arley for a while last Thursday, just in time to catch a couple of trains passing. The two panniers were running, both pulling fairly short trains compared to the usual SVR  train lengths. I thought this suited Arley extremely well; it felt "right" for a country branch station. I didn't take any photos, I just enjoyed the moment. The sun was shining and it was just a pleasantly warm English day. I loved the peace and quiet of an  empty station before any trains arrived, then the sudden bustle of activity, not only the trains themselves but staff and travellers, and then the gentle return to peace and quiet after the trains had left and any whistles became more and more distant. Once the trains were gone the people disappeared apart from the volunteer gardener stoically sticking to his task. Does heritage railway atmosphere get any better than this?

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Chris M said:

I was at Arley for a while last Thursday, just in time to catch a couple of trains passing. The two panniers were running, both pulling fairly short trains compared to the usual SVR  train lengths. I thought this suited Arley extremely well; it felt "right" for a country branch station. I didn't take any photos, I just enjoyed the moment. The sun was shining and it was just a pleasantly warm English day. I loved the peace and quiet of an  empty station before any trains arrived, then the sudden bustle of activity, not only the trains themselves but staff and travellers, and then the gentle return to peace and quiet after the trains had left and any whistles became more and more distant. Once the trains were gone the people disappeared apart from the volunteer gardener stoically sticking to his task. Does heritage railway atmosphere get any better than this?

Thanks Chris..

When I'm gardening at Arley, often 'become lost' in my own 'little world'....the weather has been perfect over the last couple of days as has the 'branch line' feel of the SVR replicated superbly.

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thought these may be of interest...?

I have been growing this white wisteria for about 15 years....and it at its best just now....eye catching for sure

IMG_1400.JPG.b1301b869af26fa6e4860b30cb226505.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG.1c676f6a2ff3b5e8d75c4c93a7e40a33.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Bench and Wisteria, chocolate and cream (-ish) !

The Wisteria is now on my spotting list for the next SVR visit (some fine day), along with a lot of platform details. There will hardly be time for the locos :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

We have 'House Guests'....

IMG_0106.JPG.149a7d3421944b200d9db7ff9171ba34.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG.9b8f5620556e264c58163ffffe444304.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG.86635a0cf25b2f4b99e58ab75b400fa7.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG.90f8883b873339b4c13996b522a95ca9.JPG

Here at Arley for a few months.....certainly a bit out of our 1930's time period yes, and in certain quarters has caused the 'dropping of one or two jaws' but 'welcome' in other and many ways perhaps for the limited time they will be with us?

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, BobM said:

but 'welcome' in other and many ways

Not the most subtle place to store them; have they run out of space at Kiddy? Still, it's money for the railway. :)

• Agree 1

Probably be in trouble for this but....and it is only my humble opinion that I wished that the goods set could have come up to us instead, freeing space for these to be stabled elsewhere, we have a 'classic car' weekend coming up, not the best foil for these and what about the ASG...?

Revenue yes. it is a 'temporary arrangement' and not as if we are painting the station blue....but as someone may have said 'akin to a carbuncle on the face of a dear and much loved, old friend'...?

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

You could always use them for the Santa grottos if they go ahead this year.

Santa is on his way back to Arley this year, tickets already selling quickly by the sound of it, planning to be in the same format as last year.

Hopefully they'll be elsewhere by then, a marque has to be erected across the siding and whole yard, so they've got to go somewhere?

Regards

Bob

Edited by BobM

• 1 month later...

Hi

'Pitchford Hall' 4953 - Looking good this afternoon  both in black and the early-autumn Arley sunshine passing southbound as a light engine movement in preparation for the commencement of ASG tomorrow.

IMG_0067.JPG.767d0b906c1eee71d19c4844123b8e46.JPG

For the first time in nearly two years took a service train southbound in connection with my Arley (gardening) duties, it was a pleasure to be behind steam once more and delightfully it was a double header 7714 and 1501, the former a positioning movement I believe. Taw Valley the other loco in service today....trains busy too felt somewhat more like 'normality at last?

IMG_0062.JPG.3a1b907cac3cee90847a3f19f1d027e2.JPG  IMG_0069.JPG.86422a3a786c9aed7f08477a4fc4ef31.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG.909f148cf60fedb2dc2f0da2231e498e.JPG

Regards always

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Might see you in passing on the first run of 9466 on Friday which I am lucky to be driving (has it arrived yet?)

Hi....

Haven't seen 9466 but only been at Arley all day after a trip up from Bridgnorth, due to work commitments will be at Arley only tomorrow and Sunday, looking forward to seeing 'the passing traffic' and folks out and about again hopefully.

Regards

Bob

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, BobM said:

Hi....

Haven't seen 9466 but only been at Arley all day after a trip up from Bridgnorth, due to work commitments will be at Arley only tomorrow and Sunday, looking forward to seeing 'the passing traffic' and folks out and about again hopefully.

Regards

Bob

Not sure if its arrived yet as there has been nothing on Teams or Facebook groups showing it. Have fun today and Sunday. 

• Friendly/supportive 1