Devon Belle Observation Car In OO

Does anyone know if there is a kit in OO for the Devon Belle Observation Cars? I’m loathe to spend the extortionate prices they go for on the Bay. I was given some Hornby Pullmans from the 80s and am thinking one of these could be the basis of a bit of a cut and shut or new sides? I also have been struggling to find any diagrams of the observation car to plan from?

Thanks 

Rob

691AF75C-1A8F-4444-9CCC-707105F084AA.png

I can't help you with drawings I'm afraid, but having looked to buy one of the Hornby examples at a reasonable price not too long ago I'm bound to say that £130 is a joke!

You might have to bide your time, but £50 is a lot closer to the mark. Not cheap I know, but not unreasonable given the cost of 4mm stuff these days. The early China made Hornby Pullmans are a total bargain at present Ebay prices - I can only conclude that they must have made gazillions of them. The Matchboard side ones at £20-25 seem amazing value to me given the quality and detail of the product.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson
added "China made" being superdetailed examples
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The early China made Hornby Pullmans are a total bargain at present Ebay prices - I can only conclude that they must have made gazillions of them.

I have a few of them now! They look fantastic, and as my planned layout is a posh seaside resort, something like a shortened Ilfracombe portion of the Devon Belle, a 6 coach + observation car would be nice, but not for almost as much as I've spent on the rest of my stock!

• Like 1

I got a new one from Hattons or Kernow recently for about £50.

The most recent issue was R4860. You might find some still on the shelves of small model shops.

Try Hereford Model Centre.

http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=369_370_376_381_384&products_id=12767&zenid=d912745b50b20aba37ec5306857852fd

Jason

• Thanks 1

Thank you! I'm coming back into the hobby after a long break, and when I was a kid I was happy with my triang relics and a tender drive A4! Rule 1 very much applied! So am a bit out the loop on catalogue numbers and the like to say the least! Will have a look around for those Jason

Edited by PayntersDocks
Rule 1

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

From memory, I think the Devon Belle observation car may have been built on an ex-LNWR underframe.

Indeed, both were built as ambulance coaches, however, by using a pullman as my launching point, both the roof profile and the doors at the brake end are already correct.

I also fancy a bit of a challenge and an interesting piece of rolling stock that I have ridden in feels like a good prototype. MUCH PLANNING STILL TO DO