Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Dave Walker

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

I have heard today that Dave Walker, a very old friend of mine , has died today.

I first met Dave in 1977 at Leeds MRS. Dave had a Highland Railway layout in 00.  We had afew geandepus plans for a larger Highland Railway..luckily Dave started to build in O Gauge. Laxford Bridge another Highland layout in O gauge was exhibited at various shows then Dave extended it to include a distillery. 

Through meeting with Richard Chown Dave started to build Irish Railway based layouts before returning to O Gauge with models of Cromford Wharf.  Dave built professionally in various gauges including Gauge 1.

Apart from his modelling Dave was a qualified scuba diver trainer, an accomplished musician and custom car painter.

Our thoughts are with Liz, his partner, an accomplished modeller herself.

RiP Dave

Barry O, Hon Secretary, Leeds MRS CIO

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Very sad news.

First met Dave back in the 1960s and had the pleasure of operating Cromford Wharf amongst his other layouts on occasion.

As a stalwart of the York Show we met up every Easter and recall some pleasurabe nights in the hotel bar.

My thoughts and sympathies to Liz which I'm sure I can extend from the other members of the York crew.

RIP Dave

Mal (York Show Manager)

• RMweb Gold

Dave has been associated for many years with the Leeds Model Railway Society both as a member in the past and supporting the exhibitions with layouts. 

In the late 70's I used to cycle over to his parents at Barkston Ash to help him with his Highland layout when he use to model in 00 and help with his layouts at many exhibitions.

In normal times we would see Dave and Liz around the country at various exhibitions and spent many evenings in hotel bars. 

My thoughts are with Liz and I extend my sympathies on behalf of all the members at the Leeds Model Railway Society.

RIP Dave 

Andy Ross 

Chairman - Leeds MRS CIO

Edited by Trams and Locos
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

That is indeed sad news. I met Dave at the same time as Baz did and enjoyed operating first his 00, 0 and 7mm Irish layouts over the years at many shows.

Adding to the attributes listed by Baz, Dave was also a champion cigar smoker (Hamlets, as I recall) and one of his favourite tricks was to blow a cloud of smoke through the overbridge when a train entered Laxative Bridge station from the fiddle yard.

Happily I have an enduring connection with Dave, even though our paths hadn't crossed for over 30 years.

598555579_20210307001HighlandRailwaystockbox.JPG.bc082c634dc3d9bd6735258f9baa9a3c.JPG

A Ken Nelson stock box, painted and decorated by Dave, which he gave me when he changed from 00 to 0. It's showing its age, having travelled half way round the world apart from anything else, but every time I see it it reminds, and will always remind, me of my old friend.

Vale, Dave.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I was saddened  to read the obituary to Dave in the June Railway Modeller just now and send my rather belated condolences to Liz.    Dave and Liz have supported us at the CMRA show, first at St Albans and more recently at Stevenage, for very many years with their excellent  and very educational demonstrations.  

Interestingly I found an old Gauge O Guild magazine from 2011 online only yesterday and read John Kneeshaw's editorial in which he suggested that there were basically two types of demonstrators at shows.     I would suggest that both Dave and Liz fell in to his second category and I quote;

"These demonstrators often have a number of pleasing characteristics. They are generally rather modest, self-effacing people; and when you talk to them they are encouraging, patient, calm and relaxed. They give freely of their time and knowledge and want everyone to share their skills. They are able to give simple demonstrations that make it easy for us to understand what we are supposed to do."  

I wouldn't argue with that.

RIP Dave

Alan B

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/downloads/v18-2 complete-reduced.pdf

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1