Home made LED lights

MarcD

This might sound like a silly question. I'm just about make some small lights for my shunting layout to go in and on some of the buildings. The plan is to wire 3V LED's , in parallel, onto an old N gauge controller as a supply . Max voltage 15V at 300mA. There will be about 10 lights on the circuit but I have no idea what resistors I should be using to protect the LED's. I did watch a video on youTube which quoted 5,200ohm but when I used Ohms law my calcs came out at 40ohms, a bit of a difference. I haven't done any electronics in 20 years so my ohms law is a bit rusty can any one point me in the correct direction?

Marc (A Frustrated Mechanical Engineer)

• RMweb Gold

I have found that LEDs are very tolerant! I use a 12v supply and 1000ohm resistor. But larger sizes are ok too. I would not go less than 1000ohm.

I have found that you can't mix different colours of LED on one resistor. It's better to use one resistor per LED. They are very cheap and all I do is solder a resistor to the negative pin of the LED and put a bit of heat shrink over it. Then you are good to go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Furness Wagon said:

when I used Ohms law my calcs came out at 40ohms

Working backwards 9V drop across 40 ohms  gives a current draw of 225mA

If you have 10 LEDs in parallel fed by the 40 ohm resistor then each LED will draw 22.5mA

22.5mA would seem ok for Each LED

Now a reasons why i think it is a bad idea to have all those LEDs in parallel

If the LEDs are not perfectly matched the one or more will draw more than 22.5mA

Assuming 22.5mA is the rating of the LEDs then the LEDs drawing more than 22.5mA may fail prematurely

When one fails then the current to the remaining LEDs will increase causing another one to fail & you could get a cascading effect taking out all the remaining LEDs

1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

I have found that LEDs are very tolerant! I use a 12v supply and 1000ohm resistor. But larger sizes are ok too. I would not go less than 1000ohm.

I tend to agree with ikcdab & the following is meant to complement  ikcdab's post

The current rating of a LED is given to get the maximum brightness from that LED 

If you drive a LED at its maximum rating then you get the shortest lifespan

Most times on a model railway you don't need the LED at maximum brightness

You might be surprised how bright a LED is with 1K resistor

If its too bright then larger value resistor can be used

I have used 4K7 (or was it 47K,memory isn't the best ) resistors on a HST marker lights  & they were bright enough

With the price of resistors you can afford to have a selection on hand & use trial & error to get the resistor value that gives the best brightness for your needs.

Start with 1K or 10K to see which is best for each application

If you need bright LEDs then you will need to do some calculations to get the best value & I would tend to use one resistor per LED 

Hope this helps

John

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

By the way it matters not a jot which leg of the LED the resistor is wired in. It may be convenient if they are all wired the same when it comes to fitting them, eg negative feed always go to the resistor leg, but from an operational point of view it doesn't matter.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, John ks said:

Working backwards 9V drop across 40 ohms  gives a current draw of 225mA

If you have 10 LEDs in parallel fed by the 40 ohm resistor then each LED will draw 22.5mA

22.5mA would seem ok for Each LED

Now a reasons why i think it is a bad idea to have all those LEDs in parallel

If the LEDs are not perfectly matched the one or more will draw more than 22.5mA

Assuming 22.5mA is the rating of the LEDs then the LEDs drawing more than 22.5mA may fail prematurely

When one fails then the current to the remaining LEDs will increase causing another one to fail & you could get a cascading effect taking out all the remaining LEDs

I tend to agree with ikcdab & the following is meant to complement  ikcdab's post

The current rating of a LED is given to get the maximum brightness from that LED 

If you drive a LED at its maximum rating then you get the shortest lifespan

Most times on a model railway you don't need the LED at maximum brightness

You might be surprised how bright a LED is with 1K resistor

If its too bright then larger value resistor can be used

I have used 4K7 (or was it 47K,memory isn't the best ) resistors on a HST marker lights  & they were bright enough

With the price of resistors you can afford to have a selection on hand & use trial & error to get the resistor value that gives the best brightness for your needs.

Start with 1K or 10K to see which is best for each application

If you need bright LEDs then you will need to do some calculations to get the best value & I would tend to use one resistor per LED 

Hope this helps

John

If you go online to buy LEDs you will find that you are encouraged to buy ultra bright ones. That probaby isn't what you want. I look out the diffused ones which are much better.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, cliff park said:

By the way it matters not a jot which leg of the LED the resistor is wired in. It may be convenient if they are all wired the same when it comes to fitting them, eg negative feed always go to the resistor leg, but from an operational point of view it doesn't matter.

I agree. In their as-bought state, the positive leg is longer so you know. Once you start chopping them down you lose that. That's why I always fix the resistor to the negative and then sheath in black heat shrink so I know the polarity.

• Informative/Useful 1

The power supply has a pot omit so I can reduce the voltage and the brightest. I bought warm white whatever that looks like.

I have ordered some 5.2k resistors I have some1k and 10k in my box of spares.

25 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

I agree. In their as-bought state, the positive leg is longer so you know. Once you start chopping them down you lose that. That's why I always fix the resistor to the negative and then sheath in black heat shrink so I know the polarity.

The negative side of the LED normally has a flat on it to aid with identification too.

On 08/03/2021 at 23:24, d00m said:

You might find it useful to type  'LED resistor calculator' in your search bar - it comes in handy when working out parallel or series resistors for led arrays. 

A useful electronics calculator can be found FREE to download on the Electronics 2000 website, it is a Windows program so will only work on a Windows enabled machine. It has a very easy to use LED resistor calculator among other things. 

www.electronics2000.co.uk

Richard

I failed to use a resistor on a 3v supply and the magic smoke escaped. I learnt!! I use 1kΩ from now on and it's plenty bright enough even at 3v.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou

Even as a mechanical engineer you know not to let the smoke out of the box.

You learn that in beginners black masses and cross burning, sorry introduction to electrical/electronic engineering.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

I would wire a resistor in series with each LED individually, which I know is more of a faff.

You can assume around 10mA per LED, and a forward voltage drop across each of about 1.8V, so from a 15v supply you need a resistor of (15-1.8v)/10mA = 13.2/10 = 1.32kohm.

If your LEDs are 3v, then you need 1.2kohm, but tbh it doesn't really matter, as long as the current is limited to a sensible value.

• Thanks 1