Static Humming from monitor when using this website

Can anybody shed any light onto why my monitor, a Dell U3419W, emits a low humming static noise when I view this website.

It is really odd that the humming starts as soon as I open up the site. The humming also continues if I open another tab on my browser or another window, but as soon as I close the RMweb tab, it stops. It also stops when I click a link on the site whilst the page changes, but as soon as the page is displayed, it starts again. It also stops if I log out :huh:

It happens if I use Firefox or Edge on Windows, using both of my Windows computers when connected to the monitor, using any of the connections, HDMI, DP or USB C connection. It doesn't happen when I use the laptop screen or another monitor. It doesn't happen if I use a Mac connected to the Dell monitor.

The volume setting makes no difference to the volume of the hum, it only stops if you select mute.

Changing the brightness, contrast, screen refresh rate or display size makes no difference.

Any other ideas that I could try.

• RMweb Gold

Do you recognise the song?

:P

More seriously that's a new one on me. If it was happening to various sites it would make a bit more sense or to sites with a lot of content. But RMWeb isn't a very complicated site so that's a puzzler.

43 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Does it happen on other forums using the same Invision software?

Here's one: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/

Martin.

Yes, one other forum that I very rarely use now uses Invision, and it does exactly the same thing.

Most odd

1 hour ago, bartram108 said:

It's the sound of other subscribers deliberating over whether or not to buy a Hattons' Class 66

Graham

Why would anybody want a shed or fred cluttering up their layout :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

Is your tinfoil hat seated correctly? :D

My paranoia has now been increased. I have just put another layer of tinfoil on my hat.

I have logged in on my HTC Android phone and as soon as I log in it puts my phone into Music mode.

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Gray69 said:

Yes, one other forum that I very rarely use now uses Invision, and it does exactly the same thing.

Most odd

Hi,

Something in your monitor is resonating in tune with a timer in the software.

Try sticking a heavy object with big lump of Blu-Tak on one corner, or side, or back of the monitor. (Don't block any ventilation slots, obviously.)

Or

Try re-arranging or separating the cable runs. Is it mains hum at 50Hz?

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

• RMweb Gold

If the phone browser is opening the site in music mode it would point to something in the site software trying to open an audio file that probably has no data. 

Andi

Last week the browser I was using at the time (Safari on a MacBook Pro) put up a warning flag that RMweb was consuming excessive processing cycles, slowing down the computer (didn't notice that, except in that one RMweb tab) and suggested that I really, really should close that tab. It didn't start humming, though....

On 07/03/2021 at 12:13, martin_wynne said:

Hi,

Something in your monitor is resonating in tune with a timer in the software.

Try sticking a heavy object with big lump of Blu-Tak on one corner, or side, or back of the monitor. (Don't block any ventilation slots, obviously.)

Or

Try re-arranging or separating the cable runs. Is it mains hum at 50Hz?

Martin.

On 07/03/2021 at 12:19, Jonboy said:

Would a clip on ferrite on the signal cable stop it?

Sadly, after trying both suggestions, it still hums.

I will just get in the habit of wearing my tin hat and turning the sound to mute whenever I browse RMWeb. ;)