Moss Lane (7mm Micro-Layout) NOW SOLD

georgeT

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Looks like a good start young man, a bit different from Loco building for a while.:good:

.....and bridge building :blink:

Looking good George 

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Very neat George. Will it be Industrial or Rural?

Morning Andy, well there will be a cassette at both ends so you can run whatever you feel like at time...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ray H said:

Whatever it is George I'm sure it'll be up to your exceptional high standard and I look forward to seeing the build progress.

Thanks for that Ray, l will try my best, and l hope to see you at a show sometime whenever that will be, but in the mean time stay safe buddy...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Will it be Exhibitable once were doing shows again mate?

Cor blimey Andy, my days of standing up all day playing trains are long gone (too old) l do miss the banter and bacon baps ...really did enjoy the shows with your many layouts and the fun we had with the gang,  PeterBB, Mike & big John, many happy memories...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Cor blimey Andy, my days of standing up all day playing trains are long gone (too old) l do miss the banter and bacon baps ...really did enjoy the shows with your many layouts and the fun we had with the gang,  PeterBB, Mike & big John, many happy memories...

That's a relief, I couldn't stand up for that long either mate, but yes do miss the Baps and Banter with the Crazy Gang.

I'm following this with great interest as I too am going to build a similar test/diorama -1.8metres long. Are those Greenwood point kits and rails? Did you use Templot? Are the point B6s?.

Apologies for the newbie questions.

What you will quickly find with O gauge is the you'll have hardly any room for a decent layout in doors, as its so big, if you build a small terminus you'll have no room for a run round loop so most give up the idea of O gauge ?

That's why l thought up the idea of Moss Lane, its a diorama rather than a layout and l can play trains without being cramped, l will have a small fiddle yard at each end big enough for a loco and two or three wagons (no coaches)  so you can just drive though if you want. 

Also l wanted to make all the track, so l printed out using templot a left handed point to get me started, then decided to do without the templates and build to gauges, (31-5)  l have a Greenwood gauge for making the frogs and that's all you need to get going, the chairs and sliders are from Peco, and away we go, 'Butanone' liquid glue sticks the plastic chairs to the plywood sleepers a treat, let me know if this helps in anyway, good luck...

DSC07294.JPG

DSC07295.JPG

DSC07296.JPG

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Morning Richard, Search the net for 3mm lite-plywood its about £1-70 a square foot, l then cut them into 7mm or 9mm strips and snip off as required, don't buy them ready cut they cost a fortune, l have a small modelling bench saw (proxxon) which is great for this job,

stay safe buddy and good luck...

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

George

Great stuff. I look forward to developments. I really must do something similar on which to test my railway stock. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions so I must be well on the way.

BTW The real Moss Lane also could do with some work to fill in the potholes and get the drains working! ;) 

Ian.

3 hours ago, Ian Major said:

George

Great stuff. I look forward to developments. I really must do something similar on which to test my railway stock. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions so I must be well on the way.

BTW The real Moss Lane also could do with some work to fill in the potholes and get the drains working! ;) 

Ian.

Hi lan, Great to hear from you again, l have on order a routemaster bus in O gauge to go on a bridge over Moss Lane, so it will have to be somewhere in south London l guess, what are you building at the moment ? Take care and hopefully see you soon...

• Like 2

Hello George,

I have several things on the go. If I hit a shortage of material for one project I switch on to another whilst stock replenishment takes place. It keeps me going in these "socially distanced" days.

I am back working on the MACAW B, currently scratch building the DC brake mechanism for it. When we can get out more I am hoping the MACAWs will be ready so that they, along with your MACAW H, will make a fair old engineer's train on Mark's line!

Keep your chin up.:)

Ian.

• Thanks 1