Moss Lane (7mm Micro-Layout) NOW SOLD

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

On 30/05/2021 at 20:34, D6775 said:

must depend who is on weathering in the factory on the day your item passes through! 

or the few minutes your model passes through!

I think about extra cost and how many hours effort I would be prepared to put in for that amount (let alone the fraction that goes to labour)... A decent pro charges three figures for weathering so its about as bad as I would expect really.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

or the few minutes your model passes through!

I think about extra cost and how many hours effort I would be prepared to put in for that amount (let alone the fraction that goes to labour)... A decent pro charges three figures for weathering so its about as bad as I would expect really.

I must say ,I had some locos weathered at TMC (whom I have no connection with other than a satisfied customer) for less than 100 notes, although I think the charges have gone up since, and these were for 4mm.They were very well done ,just what I wanted.

atb

Phil

• Like 1

When I was doing weathering for people I would not charge a fortune, but on a Coach like that I wouldn't have thought you would be talking of more that £10 for a pro finish, including Buffers etc.

On my advice about using White Spirit, George made a start last night, so I'm looking forward to see if it comes out better.

3 hours ago, 47606odin said:

she looks stunning. She needs to get out and about a bit 

Thanks lan, it takes hours to build, and seconds to ruin, the new owner managed to bend most of the valve gear up with careless handling (Heart breaking) but its all fixed now, as you say ready for some running...

• Friendly/supportive 1

l have never really been a fan of heavy weathering, as l feel that it ruins a loco, but l do like subtle weathering just a hint of grime, as David (Jintyman) does, all of his work is subtle and spot on, l hate it when someone fills the airbrush up with matt black and sprays it everywhere then calls it weathered ...

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, gismorail said:

Rock on Dr George T :superman:

Hello Martin, lt amazes me given the cost of 7mm locos, how some people pick them up as if they were tonka toys beats me....

• Agree 1

On 30/05/2021 at 20:34, D6775 said:

That GUV is pretty atrocious, weathering isn't really my thing, but I think even I could do a better job. Some of the weathered 33012's we're pretty pour too, must depend who is on weathering in the factory on the day your item passes through! No sign of that new 33 you've been teasing us with?

Hi Al, The 33 in question (Dutch) should be with me very soon, she is having a sound Zimo chip fitted by my good buddy M Owen.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, georgeT said:

30736 'Excalibur' visiting for minor repair at the workshop...

IMG_9198.JPG

IMG_9199.JPG

I do have a soft spot for Southern engines but I am not about to move away from my GER theme!

Good job on this one

Paul R

• Like 2

4 hours ago, georgeT said:

Hello Martin, lt amazes me given the cost of 7mm locos, how some people pick them up as if they were tonka toys beats me....

Your right there George I think Heljan are to blame they have produced locos that are far the heavy beyond what is practical and folks are expecting to have to do a ‘squat and thrust’ to lift them off the track :crazy_mini:

• Agree 2

On 03/06/2021 at 08:43, georgeT said:

Guilty as charged, but then I find them far more robust than the 4mm equivalent and I can fix things much easier in 7mm than I can 4mm. Maybe its because all my 7mm Heljan Loco's I have already taken apart and re-built in some respects. However saying all that, I am much more careful with other folks stock than my own, and would expect the same of someone else picking my stock up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Had a nice trip down to Portsmouth for a week in the glorious sunshine, and had a great day out with Andy who took me to Eastleigh and Ropley, at Eastleigh l got a few shots of the third rail set-up for 'Moss Lane' and at Ropley we saw a few locos on display...

IMG_9365.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

• Like 6

That raises a few issues George

Eastleigh seems to have conductor pots on every 6th sleeper. When I observed these at Haywards Heath they were every 4th sleeper.  I wonder what the rules are?

Paul R

29 minutes ago, pwr said:

Eastleigh seems to have conductor pots on every 6th sleeper. When I observed these at Haywards Heath they were every 4th sleeper.  I wonder what the rules are?

Paul R

Good morning Paul, l found that there was no uniform in the placing of the pots some were 3-4-5 even 6 sleepers apart, so l guess l can place them wherever on 'Moss Lane' ??

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, pwr said:

Paul R

20 hours ago, georgeT said:

Good morning Paul, l found that there was no uniform in the placing of the pots some were 3-4-5 even 6 sleepers apart, so l guess l can place them wherever on 'Moss Lane' ??

Yes Paul, Geroge did point it out to me, and we counted quite a few in different spacings, I also said, it seemed like some were closer together on the curve through the Points, which would make some sense.

On 13/06/2021 at 06:40, georgeT said:

Had a nice trip down to Portsmouth for a week in the glorious sunshine, and had a great day out with Andy who took me to Eastleigh and Ropley, at Eastleigh l got a few shots of the third rail set-up for 'Moss Lane' and at Ropley we saw a few locos on display...

IMG_9365.JPG

IMG_9380.JPG

IMG_9448.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

Great pics mate, yours came out a lot better than mine, but then I had a Mojo problem.

It was certainly good to see you and at least we had a good catch up.

Cheers for that.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/06/2021 at 10:10, georgeT said:

Total speculation but I wonder if it depends how long since they were renewed? Wouldn't be a total surprise if they were built with more closer together but when they have to be replaced, less are used? 

As I say, absolutely no knowledge, just a thought.

GUV looks good. The action of removing the stuff polishes the paint which is an effect I do deliberately now by flattening off with super fine grade wet and dry (2000 grade is so smooth it's hard to know which side is right!), then buff a little bit with kitchen towel. The white spirit will be softening the top which you are then rubbing so you are getting the same effect!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

39 minutes ago, georgeT said:

Having got my Mo-Jo (and internet) back, l have started to add the third rail to 'Moss Lane' must order a couple of 73s now...

DSC07410.JPG

DSC07411.JPG

Do you know the shoe height of the 73's yet?

• Like 1